Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dangermouse2
    • By dangermouse2 22nd Sep 16, 12:26 PM
    • 17Posts
    • 5Thanks
    dangermouse2
    iPhone iOS10 a risk to children
    • 22nd Sep 16, 12:26 PM
    iPhone iOS10 a risk to children 22nd Sep 16 at 12:26 PM
    So here's the scenario. I have an iPhone 6. My daughter has a Blackberry. We also have a MAC at home.

I upgrade my iPhone to iOS10 on day 1 of the release. I go to work and drop my daughter off to school.

I finish work and start travelling 1 hour back to her school. She texts me to ask me what time I will arrive and also to tell me where to meet.

I pull over and text her. No reply. I try to call her. No answer (Bad reception where she is). I text her again and again and again. No response.

So by this stage I'm a little concerned. I eventually go to where I often pick her up and somehow manage to get through to her on the phone. She says to me, "Why didn't you reply to my texts?" I tell her that I did.

After about a week of her not receiving texts I discover why.

Apple decided to remove the "Send as Text" option that was previously available. Instead, they decided to implement a system whereby the IOS is meant to detect if it can't send as an iMessage and instead send as a regular text. What apple failed to realise is that if you have iMessage installed on your MAC at home, the IOS will think it can actually send as iMessage. This meant that all my texts were going to the MAC but not her phone. Not only that, this feature doesn't detect straight away and so in reality would mean the recipient waits ages to get each message.

I have now completely disabled iMessage on my iPHone because I want my damn messages to arrive. I feel that my messages getting to my daughter are more important than fancy balloons and fireworks etc etc.

Well done Apple for making the phone worse!!
Page 1
    • spadoosh
    • By spadoosh 22nd Sep 16, 12:33 PM
    • 3,376 Posts
    • 4,168 Thanks
    spadoosh
    • 22nd Sep 16, 12:33 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 12:33 PM
    You didnt have to upgrade. Your daughter was clearly not at risk she just couldnt text you.

Id suggest keeping a 50 pence piece and your daughters phone number on some paper so you can ring her from a pay phone should a similar thing happen again.

Or try one of the other hundreds of apps available to send messages.
    Don't be angry!
    • warehouse
    • By warehouse 22nd Sep 16, 12:34 PM
    • 2,710 Posts
    • 5,013 Thanks
    warehouse
    • 22nd Sep 16, 12:34 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 12:34 PM
    You didnt have to upgrade. Your daughter was clearly not at risk she just couldnt text you.

Id suggest keeping a 50 pence piece and your daughters phone number on some paper so you can ring her from a pay phone should a similar thing happen again.

Originally posted by spadoosh
    Is that advice? Why bother?
    Pants
    • gr1340
    • By gr1340 22nd Sep 16, 12:48 PM
    • 48 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    gr1340
    • 22nd Sep 16, 12:48 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 12:48 PM
    Do you write for the Daily Mail?

With the thread title I thought maybe iOS10 was activity attempting to murder babies or something.

I do however understand that this is an issue that others have reported with this version but can't see any obvious fix other than turning off imessage.
    • Oakdene
    • By Oakdene 22nd Sep 16, 12:51 PM
    • 332 Posts
    • 421 Thanks
    Oakdene
    • 22nd Sep 16, 12:51 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 12:51 PM
    Have you checked that you have the option to send as text messages selected as I can send iMessages as texts,....
    • gr1340
    • By gr1340 22nd Sep 16, 12:56 PM
    • 48 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    gr1340
    • 22nd Sep 16, 12:56 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 12:56 PM
    There is indeed a setting under messages that says:
    Send as SMS (when imessage is unavailable).

I actually misread your post thinking your daughter had a mac and you were sending your messages to that instead.

I am on iOS 10 and if I send a message to a non iphone, it will always go as text.

I think you need to check this setting.
    • dangermouse2
    • By dangermouse2 22nd Sep 16, 1:42 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    dangermouse2
    • 22nd Sep 16, 1:42 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 1:42 PM
    Hi,

The option "Send as SMS" has a description that says, "Send as SMS when iMessage is unavailable."

If you happen to have iMessage also installed on your MAC at home, when you try to send a message to that person, it will only go to the MAC because it thinks the recipient is on iMessage.
    • dangermouse2
    • By dangermouse2 22nd Sep 16, 1:46 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    dangermouse2
    • 22nd Sep 16, 1:46 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 1:46 PM

Originally posted by spadoosh
    LOL!!

If I happen to see a phone box in the woods on the way to work I'll know I've been transported back in time!!

Oh, are you answering from a phone box

http://static.moneysavingexpert.com/images/forum_style_1/icons/icon10.gif
    • ringo_24601
    • By ringo_24601 22nd Sep 16, 1:48 PM
    • 15,807 Posts
    • 25,024 Thanks
    ringo_24601
    • 22nd Sep 16, 1:48 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 1:48 PM
    I'm pretty sure the minimum charge on a payphone is now 60p also...
    • dangermouse2
    • By dangermouse2 22nd Sep 16, 1:48 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    dangermouse2
    Do you write for the Daily Mail?

With the thread title I thought maybe iOS10 was activity attempting to murder babies or something.

I do however understand that this is an issue that others have reported with this version but can't see any obvious fix other than turning off imessage.
    Originally posted by gr1340
    LOL!! Yeah headline was a headline grabber I have to admit
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 22nd Sep 16, 2:43 PM
    • 3,572 Posts
    • 6,874 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    someones going to have to help me out here.

i was under the impression an imac was a computer?

So if you are trying to send a message to a mobile phone number why does it go to the computer do imacs get allocated their own telephone number that is the same as the owners mobile number?

I have always disabled imessages on my phones as I don't want to take up my limited mobile data when I have unlimited texts with my provider.
    Last edited by iammumtoone; 22-09-2016 at 2:46 PM.
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 22nd Sep 16, 2:47 PM
    • 3,263 Posts
    • 12,100 Thanks
    indesisiv
    someones going to have to help me out here.

i was under the impression an imac was a computer?

So if you are trying to send a message to a mobile phone number why does it go to the computer do imacs get allocated their own telephone number that is the same as the owners mobile number?
    Originally posted by iammumtoone
    imessaging uses your appleID not the phone number. It's more like instant messenger than text message.
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
    • Exemplar
    • By Exemplar 22nd Sep 16, 3:14 PM
    • 976 Posts
    • 336 Thanks
    Exemplar
    iOS 10 at fault for mass immigration.
    'Just because its on the internet don't believe it 100%'. Abraham Lincoln.
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 22nd Sep 16, 5:52 PM
    • 1,430 Posts
    • 376 Thanks
    AndyPK
    It's never a good idea to update the IOS early !
    • mrochester
    • By mrochester 22nd Sep 16, 9:34 PM
    • 1,115 Posts
    • 204 Thanks
    mrochester
    It sounds like your daughter has an Apple ID with iMessage switched on on your Mac. Your phone will know that your daughter has iMessage and will preference sending messages to her as an iMessage rather than a text. Therefore the message will only be received on the Mac. The solution is to either get your daughter an iPhone so she receives iMessages on her mobile device or get her to switch off iMessage on your Mac.

This issue is completely unrelated to iOS 10.
    • mije1983
    • By mije1983 22nd Sep 16, 10:17 PM
    • 1,995 Posts
    • 16,585 Thanks
    mije1983
    Will somebody think of the children!

• Exemplar
    • By Exemplar 23rd Sep 16, 11:06 AM
    • 976 Posts
    • 336 Thanks
    Exemplar
    These iOS immigrants coming over here, taking our operating systems!
    'Just because its on the internet don't believe it 100%'. Abraham Lincoln.
    • datostar
    • By datostar 23rd Sep 16, 2:07 PM
    • 923 Posts
    • 554 Thanks
    datostar
    Why not enter your daughter's details with something like '(name) mobile' in Contacts with only her mobile phone number? Then you will be able to send and receive text messages to/from her without iMessage getting involved at all.
    Last edited by datostar; 23-09-2016 at 2:07 PM. Reason: mistake
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 23rd Sep 16, 2:33 PM
    • 3,263 Posts
    • 12,100 Thanks
    indesisiv
    Why not enter your daughter's details with something like '(name) mobile' in Contacts with only her mobile phone number? Then you will be able to send and receive text messages to/from her without iMessage getting involved at all.
    Originally posted by datostar
    In the contacts is there not an option to have that? ie, Add different types of number to the contact such as: Home phone, Work mobile, Personal mobile, Apple ID then select which one to send to?

If the person has work and personal mobile numbers you wouldn't want to be sending stuff to the work number normally.
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
    • 20aday
    • By 20aday 23rd Sep 16, 10:03 PM
    • 1,552 Posts
    • 636 Thanks
    20aday
    Just out of interest has your daughter always had a Blackberry device? Has she owned an iPhone previously?

I only ask because there were a few news stories a couple of years ago where people hadn't de-registered their phone numbers when moving away from iOS.

For whatever reason when someone with an iOS device sent it to a non iOS device the sender's phone/tablet/computer still used iMessage meaning the recipient never received the text.

It's possible to set up iMessage with an email address; the texts were definitely going to your daughter as an SMS rather than her email address? If she'd signed into Messages on the Mac and your iPhone was sending them to the email address rather than her number that's another possibility i.e. jane.doe@appleseed.com instead of 07000 000111.

Otherwise sending a message to a non iOS user would mean it would be sent as a text and she should have received it.
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your account conduct and credit history.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,299Posts Today

7,398Users online

Martin's Twitter