Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JHF
    • By JHF 22nd Sep 16, 12:03 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    JHF
    NHS Dental Work
    • 22nd Sep 16, 12:03 PM
    NHS Dental Work 22nd Sep 16 at 12:03 PM
    Hello!

Apologies, I'm new to this forum so I hope this the fright place for such a question.

In July, I went to visit my uncle dentist whilst I was on holiday, he informed me that I have 2 cavities. Of course, I was too scared to get them filled, and have decided to take an appointment with a local dentist.

I have an appointment next week, just for a pre consultation, I believe. This is the first time I've been to this de first. I understand the NHS have a number of bands - a check up is Band 1 and fillings come under Band 2. My question is: will I need to pay for the check up, and for the Band 2 treatment, or will I just need to pay for Band 2?

Also, what do you guys recommend? I contacted this practice based on the reviews of one particular dentist. However, I was told that a new dentist is joining the practice next week and they are trying to fill up her schedule. I'm not too keen to go to a dentist I don't know anything about - can I call and ask to see the other dentist instead? Or can I switch after the initial meeting?
Page 1
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 22nd Sep 16, 3:38 PM
    • 5,142 Posts
    • 3,122 Thanks
    teddysmum
    • 22nd Sep 16, 3:38 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 3:38 PM
    You will pay just the band 2 charge for as many appointments that your course of treatment requires.

I don't know whether the situation is the same, now, but a couple of years ago it was near impossible to get onto an NHS dentist's list, in some areas. If this is still the case, then you need to grab what you can , while the opportunity exits.

Fillings are not a big deal.
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 22nd Sep 16, 7:06 PM
    • 2,526 Posts
    • 1,946 Thanks
    sheramber
    • 22nd Sep 16, 7:06 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 7:06 PM
    The other dentists may not be taking on any new patients. Their list may be full
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,627Posts Today

6,606Users online

Martin's Twitter