Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • scarletsboy
    • By scarletsboy 22nd Sep 16, 11:47 AM
    • 6Posts
    • 1Thanks
    scarletsboy
    N Power
    • 22nd Sep 16, 11:47 AM
    N Power 22nd Sep 16 at 11:47 AM
    I recently applied to join the MSE Credit club and was surprised that I had a poor credit rating. I had previously checked with Equifax and one other main one, where my score borders on good to excellent
    As a result I checked with Experian and saw that N Power had placed a marker against my file for an unpaid debt of 644. This was over unpaid energy at a previous home and they had been sending letters to my old home, even though they had my new address, phone number and email address
    I became aware when a debt collection agency contacted me, I immediately accepted the debt and entered into a payment plan as I thought that would be easiest. I have been making the payments too. What no one has told me is that from this, N Power have put non payment markers for the last 4 months against my name regardless of the payments I am making and that in another 2 months this will manifest into a Default on the credit file . I have queried this and made a complaint, but they tell me this is energy company practice until the debt is paid and that each month a marker will be placed against my fie - is this right ? I understand if I defaulted on the payment plan, but , my point is that I was unaware of the debt, soon as I became aware I immediately took steps to repay it and I am being punished for this
Page 1
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 22nd Sep 16, 2:19 PM
    • 49,929 Posts
    • 41,598 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    • 22nd Sep 16, 2:19 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 2:19 PM
    You knew that you hadn't settled the account when you left the property. Was your choice to enter an arrangement to pay.

As a consequence your credit file is an accurate reflection of you. That's what companies are paying for when they assess new customers.

Chalk it up to experience.
    A man is rich who lives upon what he has. A man is poor who lives upon what is coming. A prudent man lives within his income, and saves against a rainy day.
  • National Debtline
    • 22nd Sep 16, 3:41 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 3:41 PM
    Hi Scarletsboy,

Because the information is correct, it cannot be removed I am afraid. It will come off your file in 6 years time. You could add a notice of correction to your credit file which is a short explanation to give the negative mark more context. (You can contact Experian to do this). It is unlikely this will have a big impact on your future ability to get credit if this is the only negative mark on your file and as it gets older it should have less impact as well.

Laura
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
    • scarletsboy
    • By scarletsboy 23rd Sep 16, 5:04 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    scarletsboy
    • 23rd Sep 16, 5:04 PM
    • 23rd Sep 16, 5:04 PM
    Many thanks for the reply and as for it being a true reflection of me, I beg to differ. I had no knowledge of the debt as I believed it was all paid. The final meter readings had been done, but the final bills for this was being sent to my old address, even though NPower had my new address and I repeatedly told them, I had moved home and wanted the final bill. This could have been just 1, as I got a letter in July, which I answered and had I been told the effect it could/would have had, then I could have acted differently, this was not explained. The marks are for June, July,Aug and Sept.The other issue is the fact that how many other people know this, when setting up a payment plan ? Is it explained ? The only way I found out was from my Experian credit file in Sept
    I have emailed Experian and raised a complaint with NPower, which has been escalated, but I don't raise much hope with them. All I want is for the marks to be eradicated, I may not get all of them, but I feel a fair process would mean some are and the debt has now fully been repaid in order to stop the bad marks being added
    • MABLE
    • By MABLE 23rd Sep 16, 5:59 PM
    • 2,957 Posts
    • 1,556 Thanks
    MABLE
    • 23rd Sep 16, 5:59 PM
    • 23rd Sep 16, 5:59 PM
    Many thanks for the reply and as for it being a true reflection of me, I beg to differ. I had no knowledge of the debt as I believed it was all paid. The final meter readings had been done, but the final bills for this was being sent to my old address, even though NPower had my new address and I repeatedly told them, I had moved home and wanted the final bill. This could have been just 1, as I got a letter in July, which I answered and had I been told the effect it could/would have had, then I could have acted differently, this was not explained. The marks are for June, July,Aug and Sept.The other issue is the fact that how many other people know this, when setting up a payment plan ? Is it explained ? The only way I found out was from my Experian credit file in Sept
    I have emailed Experian and raised a complaint with NPower, which has been escalated, but I don't raise much hope with them. All I want is for the marks to be eradicated, I may not get all of them, but I feel a fair process would mean some are and the debt has now fully been repaid in order to stop the bad marks being added
    Originally posted by scarletsboy
    N Power offer you the facility to view your account online but obviously you chose not to then you have your own self to blame for this situation. When I have left them in the past they just send an email when a bill or final bill is ready for viewing.

As a contributor has already noted you knew you had not paid the final bill so were you perhaps hoping they had forgotten about you.
    Last edited by MABLE; 23-09-2016 at 6:01 PM.
    • GingerBob
    • By GingerBob 23rd Sep 16, 7:38 PM
    • 2,659 Posts
    • 1,041 Thanks
    GingerBob
    • 23rd Sep 16, 7:38 PM
    • 23rd Sep 16, 7:38 PM
    "A true reflection of you"? What palpable nonsense. Rarely do the CRA files offer an accurate reflection of anyone, and when the likes of npower have anything to do with it, even less so.

Some salient facts:

npower are Britain's worst company in terms of most measures.

They have had, and continue to have, massive issues with their administration and billing.

They cause abject misery to literally hundreds of thousands of people across the land (maybe millions).

They are the epitome of incompetence when it comes to customer service, and particularly with regard to billing.

However, I have it on good authority that if you manage to speak to someone in the (grossly overworked) executive complaints team, they can usually sort out any problems and do see sense.

Now - since when has the onus been on someone to chase up a company who doesn't bill them correctly? If a company can't issue correct bills to the correct address then let's face it, they don't deserve paying.

The OP informed npower about his change of address, so if they couldn't get the bills to him after that, in the name of sanity what right have they got to blacklist him at the CRAs!!!

OP, raise an official complaint with npower, in writing, headed COMPLAINT. When you get a complaint ref. number contact the executive complaints team.

This company made my son's life a misery for two years, but it was finally sorted when he took the executive complaints route and managed to get a competent handler on the case. You have done nothing wrong here, from what I can see. Good luck with sorting it out.
    Last edited by GingerBob; 23-09-2016 at 9:07 PM.
    • chanz4
    • By chanz4 24th Sep 16, 9:12 AM
    • 9,776 Posts
    • 2,835 Thanks
    chanz4
    • 24th Sep 16, 9:12 AM
    • 24th Sep 16, 9:12 AM
    I can give you lots of hints how to tie this company up, the op may of given a billing address for forwarding, however there staff are likely never to of applied it to the SAP system. Raise a complaint to executive complaints and then goto the ombudsman, they will cave. Also if an arrangement is setup it should be AP .
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
    • scarletsboy
    • By scarletsboy 24th Sep 16, 10:35 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    scarletsboy
    • 24th Sep 16, 10:35 AM
    • 24th Sep 16, 10:35 AM
    Hi,
    And thanks for the messages . I have raised a complaint and escalated it after the guy who rang me, was very sympathetic but said this was energy standard practice, to create the credit file entry. I have no issue with the debt owed, other than they failed to inform me of this, some may say it was my fault, but having been with npower for some 13 months previously, I was constantly billed wrongly, they increased my direct debit by over 200 per month on one occasion as they enticed me in on a very low rate. Some people need to remember that this firm was fined 26 million pounds in Dec 2015, only 10 months ago, for failing to bill customers properly and 2 million consumers raised complaints, most of which were valid
    I currently have 4 marks on my file, showing the debt and have emailed the complaints team offering a solution. I have offered to repay the outstanding balance in full and for them to backdate the settlement to July, when I was told of the debt. This will leave 1 or 2 bad marks, but is better than 4, especially when I have a clear credit score, that includes, Mortgage, car, credit card and numerous settled finances from the last 6 years . Hopefully this will end it and I can move on . I have also lodged a dispute with Experian, who will place it on my file whilst this is being looked at
    One further thing, when talking to the complaints team, the subject was the impact this was having on my credit rating - he advised me to apply and get an interest free credit card to repay it ! Enough said !!
    Last edited by scarletsboy; 24-09-2016 at 10:41 AM.
    • dgtazzman
    • By dgtazzman 24th Sep 16, 9:22 PM
    • 1,089 Posts
    • 649 Thanks
    dgtazzman
    • 24th Sep 16, 9:22 PM
    • 24th Sep 16, 9:22 PM
    On Npower, I applied to switch my electricity to them earlier this week. The next day, I noticed their system had fudged up the address and contacted them to change it (my house number wasn't on their system yet, so it just randomly picked one it did know). They told me they couldn't change it, the switch had to be cancelled and I'd have to apply again. Each application triggers a credit check, so that's 2 checks. After 2 days, I got an email saying that they had indeed cancelled the first switch, but also the second one. Contacted them again, only to be told they had no idea why they had cancelled the second switch, but to just try a third time, in a very uncaring tone. At this point I informed them I'd be moving to another company that did have a computer system that does what it's supposed to.

My Npower experience was short, but terrible, so I can just imagine what other people are going through with them.
    • chanz4
    • By chanz4 25th Sep 16, 10:43 PM
    • 9,776 Posts
    • 2,835 Thanks
    chanz4
    Hi,
    And thanks for the messages . I have raised a complaint and escalated it after the guy who rang me, was very sympathetic but said this was energy standard practice, to create the credit file entry. I have no issue with the debt owed, other than they failed to inform me of this, some may say it was my fault, but having been with npower for some 13 months previously, I was constantly billed wrongly, they increased my direct debit by over 200 per month on one occasion as they enticed me in on a very low rate. Some people need to remember that this firm was fined 26 million pounds in Dec 2015, only 10 months ago, for failing to bill customers properly and 2 million consumers raised complaints, most of which were valid
    I currently have 4 marks on my file, showing the debt and have emailed the complaints team offering a solution. I have offered to repay the outstanding balance in full and for them to backdate the settlement to July, when I was told of the debt. This will leave 1 or 2 bad marks, but is better than 4, especially when I have a clear credit score, that includes, Mortgage, car, credit card and numerous settled finances from the last 6 years . Hopefully this will end it and I can move on . I have also lodged a dispute with Experian, who will place it on my file whilst this is being looked at
    One further thing, when talking to the complaints team, the subject was the impact this was having on my credit rating - he advised me to apply and get an interest free credit card to repay it ! Enough said !!
    Originally posted by scarletsboy

Remind them next time they call about the energy retail assoiciation codes of practise about this, and how they take a dim view
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
    • takman
    • By takman 26th Sep 16, 12:28 AM
    • 1,286 Posts
    • 976 Thanks
    takman
    Doesn't anybody set up a year of mail forwarding these days when they move house?. I always thought it was a common thing to do and it would have solved this problem with letters being sent to the old address!.

Edit: But it was really careless of you thinking you had paid the full amount when you didn't receive the final bill. When you didn't get it you could have rang them or checked online instead of burying your head in the sand!
    Last edited by takman; Today at 12:30 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

98Posts Today

2,134Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • If you know you're bust you must declare it asap. So no firm ever says "yes we plan to go insolvent". So you never? https://t.co/w8aIKOqHzq

• Some people misreading... it's NOT the rumours of insolvency of the Monarchy! Its Monarch airlines (again tho I've no idea of its validity)

• Also re #monarchinsolvency rumours it's important to state Monarch are firmly denying it... https://t.co/N27MENRjY9

• Follow Martin