Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MPEARSON
    • By MPEARSON 22nd Sep 16, 11:30 AM
    • 10Posts
    • 0Thanks
    MPEARSON
    Halifax mortgage process
    • 22nd Sep 16, 11:30 AM
    Halifax mortgage process 22nd Sep 16 at 11:30 AM
    Can someone in the know please give some info.
    We are applying to Halifax for a mortgage, and the valuation was done yesterday.
    Can we assume that we passed the initial credit scoring because they arranged the valuation? Or do they do the valuation regardless?
    We've had a few credit searches done by Halifax since applying. 3 in total, most recently the day before the valuation.
    Impatiently waiting.....
    Thanks
Page 1
    • ap1985
    • By ap1985 22nd Sep 16, 11:43 AM
    • 85 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    ap1985
    • 22nd Sep 16, 11:43 AM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 11:43 AM
    Hi MPearson, I recently got my offer from Halifax in the post. Halifax only instruct valuation once the case has been approved. Did you get a approved subject to valuation from them beforehand?
    • amnblog
    • By amnblog 22nd Sep 16, 11:44 AM
    • 8,646 Posts
    • 3,236 Thanks
    amnblog
    • 22nd Sep 16, 11:44 AM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 11:44 AM
    You can assume there are no hitches so far and none with scoring, but they do the valuation before they finalise everything else - it's not over UTFLS
    I am a Mortgage Broker

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • kingstreet
    • By kingstreet 22nd Sep 16, 11:52 AM
    • 29,644 Posts
    • 15,716 Thanks
    kingstreet
    • 22nd Sep 16, 11:52 AM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 11:52 AM
    Hi MPearson, I recently got my offer from Halifax in the post. Halifax only instruct valuation once the case has been approved. Did you get a approved subject to valuation from them beforehand?
    Originally posted by ap1985
    That's only the case where the application goes for Business Assessor or CDT referral at the outset.

Most cases, the valuation is instructed immediately the application is submitted.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
    • MPEARSON
    • By MPEARSON 25th Sep 16, 7:09 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    MPEARSON
    • 25th Sep 16, 7:09 PM
    • 25th Sep 16, 7:09 PM
    Valuation came back as acceptable. We've had a couple more hard credit searches (now 5 in total!)
    It's with the underwriters and we're told we will get a decision in the next couple of days.
    Slight thread drift, but if applying for finance in the future will all of these credit searches be grouped into 1, or would they be treated as 5 separate applications for credit? A new car is next on the agenda, once the home is (hopefully) sorted.
    • amnblog
    • By amnblog 26th Sep 16, 8:27 AM
    • 8,646 Posts
    • 3,236 Thanks
    amnblog
    • 26th Sep 16, 8:27 AM
    • 26th Sep 16, 8:27 AM
    Don't be concerned about credit scores - this won't harm you for your car.
    I am a Mortgage Broker

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • TJParsons
    • By TJParsons 26th Sep 16, 9:05 AM
    • 15 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    TJParsons
    • 26th Sep 16, 9:05 AM
    • 26th Sep 16, 9:05 AM
    We're in exactly the same boat as you with Halifax, glad to hear it won't affect getting a new car as we've been driving a tin can for months now whilst sorting out the mortgage! Fingers crossed you hear a positive answer this week.
    • kingstreet
    • By kingstreet 26th Sep 16, 11:29 AM
    • 29,644 Posts
    • 15,716 Thanks
    kingstreet
    • 26th Sep 16, 11:29 AM
    • 26th Sep 16, 11:29 AM
    You should make no new applications for credit until after your purchase and mortgage are completed.

Do not view the mortgage offer as the point you can start having new credit searches.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
    • TJParsons
    • By TJParsons 26th Sep 16, 11:32 AM
    • 15 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    TJParsons
    • 26th Sep 16, 11:32 AM
    • 26th Sep 16, 11:32 AM
    Yeah, I should've been a bit clearer there, no new car until the house keys are in our hands.
    • rex28
    • By rex28 26th Sep 16, 12:29 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    rex28
    We're in the same boat. Also won't apply for any credit until we complete on the house.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

758Posts Today

5,154Users online

Martin's Twitter