Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mahatma andy
    • By mahatma andy 22nd Sep 16, 10:58 AM
    • 18Posts
    • 4Thanks
    mahatma andy
    Tax Relief on Pension Contribution
    • 22nd Sep 16, 10:58 AM
    Tax Relief on Pension Contribution 22nd Sep 16 at 10:58 AM
    I am in the process of being made redundant and intend to put most of the redundancy payment into my pension. I'm a member of the company DC scheme and would ideally like to put the money into that scheme before i leave (as it should be straightforward and simple with regards to tax relief). Unfortunately, the redundancy payment will be made on the payroll run after i leave and as i will no longer be an employee at that point, i can't then pay into the company scheme. The company has parked this in the 'too difficult' pile.

The alternative is to make the payment into a SIPP after i leave and get my hands on the money. This is fine, but as i understand it, i would need to make the contribution net of basic rate tax, then claim back the higher rate relief. How long does it take HMRC to repay this - does it need to wait until the end of the tax year then claim back via self assessment? Or am i able to get them to process this within the current tax year?

Thank you

Andy
Page 1
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 22nd Sep 16, 8:06 PM
    • 10,985 Posts
    • 9,028 Thanks
    zagfles
    • 22nd Sep 16, 8:06 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 8:06 PM
    Are you going to get another job? If so HMRC can usually adjust your tax code to give you higher rate relief so you get it in year.

Note that the tax free part of redundancy, usually the first £30k, doesn't count as "relevant earnings" for the purposes of the 100% of earnings pension tax relief limit.
    • mahatma andy
    • By mahatma andy 23rd Sep 16, 8:36 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    mahatma andy
    • 23rd Sep 16, 8:36 PM
    • 23rd Sep 16, 8:36 PM
    Thank you for that. Not sure if I'm going to retire, depends on how retirement suits me.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,345Posts Today

6,907Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @GemmaRobyn: @MartinSLewis my parents earned +£50k but it didn't mean they could afford to help. I worked 2 jobs at uni to get by. Why b?

• RT @JackieMutlow: @MartinSLewis @GMB Daughters loans not enough we pay 2 months rent a year (2x £410) AND £250 a month for food, train etc?

• Morning. On way to @gmb for 7:40 slot, this week warning to parents about student finance, get paid to cut debt costs, free cafe nero & more

• Follow Martin