Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bushbaby1103
    • By bushbaby1103 22nd Sep 16, 10:51 AM
    • 3,103Posts
    • 5,273Thanks
    bushbaby1103
    New Royal Mail investigations instead of tracking numbers?
    • 22nd Sep 16, 10:51 AM
    New Royal Mail investigations instead of tracking numbers? 22nd Sep 16 at 10:51 AM
    I ordered something from eBay which should've arrived by now
    So I contacted the seller for a tracking number to check with the post office. The seller sent thi polite response which I find a bit confusing .
    '

NEW RM DMO CONFIDENTIAL TEST TRACKING SERVICE INVESTIGATION SERVICE ONLY

Thanks for being so patient. We dispatch the same day using RM48 3 to 5 days. Royal Mail say give them up to two weeks, just encase they have left with your neighbour, or they may have missed you (but not left a card) so will reattempt delivery, or simply left in porch, garden out building etc. Thankfully in my experience these are very rare. It should be with you any day now. If you don't hear any thing by Monday please let me know and I will investigate the tracking My apologises Again Kind Regards

Does it make sense to anyone. Don't the Royal Mail.
    give out tracking numbers any more? The seller seems nice enough with good feedback it's just the bit in capitals which confuses me. I've had a couple of eBay bits left outside and go astray lately and complained to the post office perhaps the are looking into the postman?
    ďpeople try to destroy you, precisely because they recognize your power ó not because they donít see it, but because they see it and they donít want it to exist.Ē
    Bell Hooks 
(via amargedom)
Page 1
    • Flyonthewall
    • By Flyonthewall 22nd Sep 16, 11:15 AM
    • 3,926 Posts
    • 2,689 Thanks
    Flyonthewall
    • 22nd Sep 16, 11:15 AM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 11:15 AM
    Sounds like a way to put off those trying to scam.

RM still give out tracking numbers and they don't say to give them up to 2 weeks. The seller can't make a claim with RM before a certain number of days but that has nothing to do with a buyer.

Waiting 2 weeks in case it's been left in a garden or out building makes no sense.
    • mrcol1000
    • By mrcol1000 22nd Sep 16, 11:21 AM
    • 3,861 Posts
    • 3,388 Thanks
    mrcol1000
    • 22nd Sep 16, 11:21 AM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 11:21 AM
    As above, they are just trying to put you off. I guess they are thinking if you have had it delivered then if they make you believe there is "secret" tracking you will think twice.

Personally I'd open a case based on the fact you have contacted them and they have fobbed you off with a lie. If you are feeling nice you could contact them on Monday and open a case if still not joy.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 22nd Sep 16, 11:37 AM
    • 57,422 Posts
    • 40,556 Thanks
    soolin
    • 22nd Sep 16, 11:37 AM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 11:37 AM
    That's just a seller being 'clever' we see it recommended on here and on the community boards quite a bit. The email is designed to make you think that they can track all mail, regardless of service- and is basically meant to frighten off a scammer.

Spending on how late the item actually is (I've don't jump the gun) just open an INR in eBay and let them sort it out. Without a proper tracking number showing delivery to your address seller will lose. I suspect that as soon as you open an INR seller will refund anyway as they will assume you are genuine and not just trying it on.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move posts there. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • bushbaby1103
    • By bushbaby1103 22nd Sep 16, 11:56 AM
    • 3,103 Posts
    • 5,273 Thanks
    bushbaby1103
    • 22nd Sep 16, 11:56 AM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 11:56 AM
    I initially took the bit in capitals as a veiled threat to a would be scammer which I'm not. I'll give it till next week and if it's still a no show I'll contact eBay. For a refund. Thanks for the info everyone.
    ďpeople try to destroy you, precisely because they recognize your power ó not because they donít see it, but because they see it and they donít want it to exist.Ē
    Bell Hooks 
(via amargedom)
    • the_lunatic_is_in_my_head
    • By the_lunatic_is_in_my_head 22nd Sep 16, 12:31 PM
    • 2,049 Posts
    • 1,226 Thanks
    the_lunatic_is_in_my_head
    • 22nd Sep 16, 12:31 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 12:31 PM
    Parcels sent via DMO (and Click and Drop) have a 2D barcode which is scanned on delivery and this should be in full force now with every parcel being scanned.

As Royal Mail roll out account holders are having the tracking turned on, some who aren't yet switched on have mentioned getting data from account managers, how true that is I'm not sure.

Basically the parcels are being tracked by Royal Mail who will provide delivery confirmation, whether the seller has access to this yet is the question but if you genuinely haven't received the item then there obviously won't any delivery data.
    • custardy
    • By custardy 22nd Sep 16, 1:05 PM
    • 31,292 Posts
    • 25,838 Thanks
    custardy
    • 22nd Sep 16, 1:05 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 1:05 PM
    Parcels sent via DMO (and Click and Drop) have a 2D barcode which is scanned on delivery and this should be in full force now with every parcel being scanned.

As Royal Mail roll out account holders are having the tracking turned on, some who aren't yet switched on have mentioned getting data from account managers, how true that is I'm not sure.

Basically the parcels are being tracked by Royal Mail who will provide delivery confirmation, whether the seller has access to this yet is the question but if you genuinely haven't received the item then there obviously won't any delivery data.
    Originally posted by the_lunatic_is_in_my_head
    Its not quite there yet.
    Printing/scanning issues alongside some issues with the databases on the address the parcel is going to.
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 22nd Sep 16, 8:31 PM
    • 9,285 Posts
    • 6,205 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 22nd Sep 16, 8:31 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 8:31 PM

Originally posted by the_lunatic_is_in_my_head
    As custardy says, it's not quite there yet. In fact, it's only been rolled out to some parts for testing. It may be months off for real users.
    "I suggest you read who's thread this is and you will find its MINE". sic
    • TKPeters
    • By TKPeters 23rd Sep 16, 8:49 AM
    • 1,742 Posts
    • 988 Thanks
    TKPeters
    • 23rd Sep 16, 8:49 AM
    • 23rd Sep 16, 8:49 AM
    2D barcodes are tracking "point of delivery" for us on the DMO / OBA system.
    If you scan one, it has the parcel details of the service, weight paid, Sender & Delivery Postcodes

• the_lunatic_is_in_my_head
    • By the_lunatic_is_in_my_head 23rd Sep 16, 9:25 AM
    • 2,049 Posts
    • 1,226 Thanks
    the_lunatic_is_in_my_head
    As custardy says, it's not quite there yet. In fact, it's only been rolled out to some parts for testing. It may be months off for real users.
    Originally posted by theonlywayisup
    I appreciate it's not 100% but where we live they are scanning everything and the mail centre even knows how many have been sent to the depot vs how many were scanned (whether they are only looking at this data during testing or not I don't know).

Royal Mail said April, then Summer, then September, then October and now Autumn, but several sellers on the PS boards are stating they have been switched on and can see delivery confirmation for standard RM24/48 items of mail so they appear to be getting somewhere with it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,124Posts Today

8,289Users online

Martin's Twitter