Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Steve Eagles
    • By Steve Eagles 22nd Sep 16, 10:31 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Steve Eagles
    Old claim against Debenhams GE Capital Bank Santander
    • 22nd Sep 16, 10:31 AM
    Old claim against Debenhams GE Capital Bank Santander 22nd Sep 16 at 10:31 AM
    To cut a long story short and this has taken numerous exchanges of correspondence my wife took out a Debenhams store card in 1989 with my wife ignorant of the fact that it came with PPI associated with no opportunity to refuse it at the point of application but was her responsibility to cancel later if not required. It was not until 2001 when I was reviewing our finances that I noticed she had been paying this and immediately cancelled the PPI element.
    In August 2013 we claimed for mis-selling using what I believed to be robust arguments e.g. unaware at point of sale, not appropriate for situation etc.
    Santander eventually responded that the PPI had not been mis-sold as it had not been advised.
    The Obudsman is unable to help due to the date the agreement was made.
    Despite further attempts to get Santander to review and re-examine the claim we have been unsuccessful.
    Has anyone had success in a similar situation.
    Thanks
Page 1
    • -taff
    • By -taff 22nd Sep 16, 10:36 AM
    • 6,181 Posts
    • 3,355 Thanks
    -taff
    • 22nd Sep 16, 10:36 AM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 10:36 AM
    Your complaint is over...

Edited - if GE Money are involved, then they are your last port of call. They do not have to refund any monies either because store cards weren't regulated.
    However, if GE Money were involved in the store card, they would have had a tick box at the bottom of the application which would have been readily visibleon the form, so your wife just doesn't remember the form accurately, which is not surprising, given it was 27 years ago.
    Last edited by -taff; 22-09-2016 at 10:39 AM.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 22nd Sep 16, 11:13 AM
    • 16,797 Posts
    • 7,448 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 22nd Sep 16, 11:13 AM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 11:13 AM
    my wife took out a Debenhams store card in 1989 with my wife ignorant of the fact that it came with PPI associated with no opportunity to refuse it at the point of application but was her responsibility to cancel later if not required.
    Originally posted by Steve Eagles
    Leaving aside the time passed (almost three decades), this really won't have been the case.

There was always the opportunity to select or refuse PPI on application forms and a further "cooling off" period in which to cancel.

The mis-selling scandal is not that it was applied to accounts without permission or involuntarily, but that it was often of no use at all or added as a single premium etc. Claims companies perpetuate the myth that it was often added without the knowledge or permission of the customer..

I doubt you'll get any further with this...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,100Posts Today

7,195Users online

Martin's Twitter