Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • wannaberich41
    • By wannaberich41 22nd Sep 16, 10:21 AM
    • 403Posts
    • 73Thanks
    wannaberich41
    Help please. Hand notice in
    • 22nd Sep 16, 10:21 AM
    Help please. Hand notice in 22nd Sep 16 at 10:21 AM
    The last 3 months my 20 old child has been in a their first job since leaving uni. Which when I went for the interview was told the hours were 8.30-5 with 1 hour lunch. Overtime when busy. They also advised the office was like a family all lovely and friendly. Also advised full training will be given And Ifwanted to do any additional training that they would help towards this. They said ill be on 3 months trial.
    They show you once and then think that's full training and have a go at a you in front of the whole staff If yout get it wrong. When you ask questions as not sure or ask them to just check they have a go at you.
    You've emailed them work and they ask where it is. You reply I've emailed it to you as requested then they'd have another go as apparently they don t have time to look a thing theirs emails. THiss is management. Found out the last 2 people left in the last year in this job position because of the manager. Yesterday took another employee out and balled and screamed at them. To the point a lorry driver outside came in To main office And asked if everything was okay. This person never came back in main office.
    Last week my child was told they had the full time job after the trial period was over. Came to sign the contract on Monday and then was told they changed their mind and that daughter need some More
    Training. Can can manger say one thing then when have paper work to sign for full contract and then just say no.
    Do they hand in notice to manager or to head office hr department.
    What do you put in notice?
    This branch is awful never see no on much bullying
    Daughter also told she can't have her lunch hours but others do.

Any help would be very much appreciate
    Things will get better day by day.
Page 1
    • sangie595
    • By sangie595 22nd Sep 16, 10:42 AM
    • 2,081 Posts
    • 3,307 Thanks
    sangie595
    • 22nd Sep 16, 10:42 AM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 10:42 AM
    The last 3 months my 20 old child has been in a their first job since leaving uni. Which when I went for the interview was told the hours were 8.30-5 with 1 hour lunch. Overtime when busy. They also advised the office was like a family all lovely and friendly. Also advised full training will be given And Ifwanted to do any additional training that they would help towards this. They said ill be on 3 months trial.
    They show you once and then think that's full training and have a go at a you in front of the whole staff If yout get it wrong. When you ask questions as not sure or ask them to just check they have a go at you.
    You've emailed them work and they ask where it is. You reply I've emailed it to you as requested then they'd have another go as apparently they don t have time to look a thing theirs emails. THiss is management. Found out the last 2 people left in the last year in this job position because of the manager. Yesterday took another employee out and balled and screamed at them. To the point a lorry driver outside came in To main office And asked if everything was okay. This person never came back in main office.
    Last week my child was told they had the full time job after the trial period was over. Came to sign the contract on Monday and then was told they changed their mind and that daughter need some More
    Training. Can can manger say one thing then when have paper work to sign for full contract and then just say no.
    Do they hand in notice to manager or to head office hr department.
    What do you put in notice?

Any help would be very much appreciate
    Originally posted by wannaberich41
    I'm utterly unclear who is writing this; and feel that I must point out that a 20 year old who has completed a university course is an adult and not a child, and should be able to post for themselves.

There is no such thing as a full contract. Until someone has two years service, then they can be dismissed for almost anything. Or nothing at all.

If someone wishes to resign they hand their manager a letter that says that they are resigning and intend to leave on whatever date their notice runs out. In the absence of a longer contractual notice, the notice period is one week.

Does that answer your question(s) as I'm not entirely sure what you were asking.
    • wannaberich41
    • By wannaberich41 22nd Sep 16, 6:57 PM
    • 403 Posts
    • 73 Thanks
    wannaberich41
    • 22nd Sep 16, 6:57 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 6:57 PM
    Firstly I'm posting out of curiosity and concerns for my daughter in her first full time job.
    Secondly she's my child regardless of her age. You don't say my adult.
    But thanks for your input.
    Things will get better day by day.
    • Undervalued
    • By Undervalued 22nd Sep 16, 7:01 PM
    • 1,826 Posts
    • 1,555 Thanks
    Undervalued
    • 22nd Sep 16, 7:01 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 7:01 PM
    Firstly I'm posting out of curiosity and concerns for my daughter in her first full time job.
    However if you actually made clear what questions you were asking then we would probably be able to help you.
    • marcarm
    • By marcarm 22nd Sep 16, 7:21 PM
    • 543 Posts
    • 661 Thanks
    marcarm
    • 22nd Sep 16, 7:21 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 7:21 PM
    Which when I went for the interview was told the hours were 8.30-5 with 1 hour lunch.
    They said Ill be on 3 months trial
    This is an example of where the confusion has arisen. You say it is your 'child' but you say you went for the interview and you were on trial.

Also, I wouldn't call them my child, I would call them my daughter or son as applicable.

But your daughter sounds as if she will be a lot better off out of there. Google template resignation letters and have your daughter hand to the manager, they will pass it on to HR if required. If you're posting out of curiosity, has your daughter actually said they want to leave? It seems as though you are asking something that your daughter may not even want.
    • Lioness Twinkletoes
    • By Lioness Twinkletoes 22nd Sep 16, 9:49 PM
    • 884 Posts
    • 2,908 Thanks
    Lioness Twinkletoes
    • 22nd Sep 16, 9:49 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 9:49 PM
    Firstly, your post is, in the main, incoherent and therefore confusing. Secondly, she may be your child, but she is not a child and therefore should be able to post for herself. Thirdly, you need to take some spelling and grammar lessons to make it easier for others to help. Or ask your daughter to write it herself (I refer you back to my second point), who I assume has a better grasp of the English language.
    • tacpot12
    • By tacpot12 22nd Sep 16, 11:03 PM
    • 247 Posts
    • 175 Thanks
    tacpot12
    • 22nd Sep 16, 11:03 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 11:03 PM
    Your daughter needs to stop being bullied. She can go to lunch, but there should be no more than 60 minutes between when she stops working and when she starts working again. She should keep her own accurate/honest record of this.

If they reprimand her in front of her colleagues she should think carefully about whether it is her fault or the manager's. If it is her fault, she should just take it, if it is then manager's fault, she should say "I will not make that mistake again as I find it very embarrasing that you have pointed it out to the whole office".

If she has been to university she should only need showing how to do something once. She should be taking notes and asking questions. Businesses haven't got time to coddle the slow learner. Or someone who won't ask for help when it is more convenient to provide it.

Work is tough. It's one of the things you learn in your first proper job. But there is no need to accept being bullied either.

If it doesn't work out, they can use I-resign.com. There are template resignation letters there. Your daughter should ask how long her trial period is being extended for.
    Last edited by tacpot12; 22-09-2016 at 11:05 PM.
    • Energize
    • By Energize 23rd Sep 16, 4:35 AM
    • 268 Posts
    • 71 Thanks
    Energize
    • 23rd Sep 16, 4:35 AM
    • 23rd Sep 16, 4:35 AM
    Ok, granted the post was a little unclear, but I almost feel sorry for the op, asks a question about notice and gets lectured on spelling and grammar and then has irrelevances about asking on her daughters behalf thrown at her as though it was somehow a moral sin for a parent to do that for their offspring. Not exactly helpful...
    Last edited by Energize; 23-09-2016 at 4:40 AM.
    • Malthusian
    • By Malthusian 23rd Sep 16, 12:22 PM
    • 966 Posts
    • 1,293 Thanks
    Malthusian
    • 23rd Sep 16, 12:22 PM
    • 23rd Sep 16, 12:22 PM
    Ok, granted the post was a little unclear, but I almost feel sorry for the op, asks a question about notice and...
    Originally posted by Energize
    ...has the question answered within twenty minutes (3rd and 4th paragraph of Sangie's post).

And is told what to do if they needed more help other than the answer to that question.

Perhaps you would have preferred 20 replies all saying "oh no, how awful" but it would have been far less helpful.
    • takman
    • By takman 23rd Sep 16, 9:06 PM
    • 1,309 Posts
    • 991 Thanks
    takman
    If she does hand in her notice I hope you don't help her to write it!. Her boss wouldn't have a clue if it was your daughter resigning or her mother lol.

But seriously how have you written that and then thought "yeah that's what I want to say" and hit submit!. You seem to be able to write to an adequate standard in your other posts.
    • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    • By ScorpiondeRooftrouser 26th Sep 16, 8:22 AM
    • 986 Posts
    • 1,331 Thanks
    ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    Ok, granted the post was a little unclear, but I almost feel sorry for the op, asks a question about notice and gets lectured on spelling and grammar and then has irrelevances about asking on her daughters behalf thrown at her as though it was somehow a moral sin for a parent to do that for their offspring. Not exactly helpful...
    Originally posted by Energize
    It hardly counts as "lectures on spelling and grammar" when the grammar is so bad that it is impossible to understand what a person is trying to say.

And it's hardly irrelevant to question who is writing when the post switches back and forth between first and third person without comment.
    • sangie595
    • By sangie595 26th Sep 16, 8:49 AM
    • 2,081 Posts
    • 3,307 Thanks
    sangie595
    It hardly counts as "lectures on spelling and grammar" when the grammar is so bad that it is impossible to understand what a person is trying to say.

And it's hardly irrelevant to question who is writing when the post switches back and forth between first and third person without comment.
    Originally posted by ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    Quite. And it makes a difference as to who is writing it as to whether the information is first hand or third hand. Had it been the 20 year old writing it, which it appeared at times to be, then I might have questioned their post a little more and tried to suggest other possibilities. If it is a parent, I don't expect that they would be likely to have a balanced view where such an approach would be worthwhile, so it wouldn't be useful to point out that maybe things are not all that they have been told, and that in a first job when you are new there are life lessons to learn - and one of them is that you don't just quit a job unless you have another one to go to already.
    • Mersey
    • By Mersey 26th Sep 16, 5:52 PM
    • 1,111 Posts
    • 507 Thanks
    Mersey

Found out the last 2 people left in the last year in this job position because of the manager. Yesterday took another employee out and balled and screamed at them. To the point a lorry driver outside came in To main office And asked if everything was okay.

The latter is breach of contract and also employment law.

Bullying should also be reported.

But unless it's one of the 5 firms currently under investigation (Sports Direct being the most well known), I doubt little will happen, sadly.

It sounds as if your child has made the right decision to leave and will hopefully put her first job down to bad luck. There are decent employers out there.

Best dealing with HR @ HQ re all 3 matters.
    Please be polite to OPs and remember this is a site for Claimants and Appellants to seek redress against their bank, ex-boss or retailer. If they wanted morality or the view of the IoD or Bank they'd ask them.
    • TBagpuss
    • By TBagpuss 26th Sep 16, 8:54 PM
    • 4,621 Posts
    • 6,027 Thanks
    TBagpuss
    In her resignation letters all she needs to say is that she is giving notice and that her last day will be [date] (her contract should say what notice she needs to give, if she has no contract then the statutory requirement will be one week, given how short a time she has been there)

If she wants to raise the issue of the bullying then she can, of course, write to whoever her boss's manager or boss is, and can chose to do so before or after she leaves.

She could also chose to raise a formal grievance now about her lack of breaks, but she may feel that she doesn't want to do so if she feels it would be more stressful than it is worth to her.
    • Undervalued
    • By Undervalued 26th Sep 16, 9:56 PM
    • 1,826 Posts
    • 1,555 Thanks
    Undervalued
    In her resignation letters all she needs to say is that she is giving notice and that her last day will be [date] (her contract should say what notice she needs to give, if she has no contract then the statutory requirement will be one week, given how short a time she has been there)

If she wants to raise the issue of the bullying then she can, of course, write to whoever her boss's manager or boss is, and can chose to do so before or after she leaves.

She could also chose to raise a formal grievance now about her lack of breaks, but she may feel that she doesn't want to do so if she feels it would be more stressful than it is worth to her.
    Originally posted by TBagpuss
    In the absence of a contractual agreement for more the statutory requirement never increases beyond a week when an employee gives notice. It is only if the employer is giving notice that it depends on how long they have been employed.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

170Posts Today

1,373Users online

Martin's Twitter