Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Carmk2008
    • By Carmk2008 22nd Sep 16, 10:18 AM
    • 45Posts
    • 6Thanks
    Carmk2008
    Rough Price.
    • 22nd Sep 16, 10:18 AM
    Rough Price. 22nd Sep 16 at 10:18 AM
    Need some roof work done, chimney stack removed, cast guttering, downpipes replaced with plastic and roof made good. Anyone had similar work done? What price was you? I'm thinking 1500.
Page 1
    • Ebe Scrooge
    • By Ebe Scrooge 22nd Sep 16, 10:35 AM
    • 3,093 Posts
    • 2,480 Thanks
    Ebe Scrooge
    • 22nd Sep 16, 10:35 AM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 10:35 AM
    Rough estimate - 983.27

Seriously, there are far too many variables to even hazard a guess. What sort of roof area are we talking about that needs to be made good ? What's the access like ? How much guttering needs replacing ?

You need to get 3 quotes from reputable roofing companies and take it from there. Ask friends & neighbours for recommendations, or try your local community Facebook page if you have one.
    I may not know much about art, but I know what I like.
    • Carmk2008
    • By Carmk2008 22nd Sep 16, 10:56 AM
    • 45 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Carmk2008
    • 22nd Sep 16, 10:56 AM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 10:56 AM
    That estimate would be ideal lol. Regarding the roof made good it would obviously be filling hole from chimney and replacing a few tiles, i want to replace all the guttering and downpipes, there is easy access all round and I should've said that I have 3 roofers that will all do it on the side, was looking for a price to gauge it against.
    • missprice
    • By missprice 22nd Sep 16, 12:22 PM
    • 3,037 Posts
    • 69,571 Thanks
    missprice
    • 22nd Sep 16, 12:22 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 12:22 PM
    That estimate would be ideal lol. Regarding the roof made good it would obviously be filling hole from chimney and replacing a few tiles, i want to replace all the guttering and downpipes, there is easy access all round and I should've said that I have 3 roofers that will all do it on the side, was looking for a price to gauge it against.
    Originally posted by Carmk2008
    The price will vary according to if you have a six bed bungalow or a four bed detached or a two bed terrace and any variable in between.
    Last time I looked at getting a chimney removed and complete stack was well over 1000. But my gutters cost about 250 cos OH did them so only guttering and fixings to buy.

Eta party wall agreement needed maybe
    2015 wins banks beer tshirt, storm London watch and necklace, mulu choc star Argos vouchers= 1172.90
    100 mortgage payments to go.

I hereby appoint you Lady of the Order of the Garter
    Congratulations
    • Grenage
    • By Grenage 22nd Sep 16, 12:25 PM
    • 654 Posts
    • 621 Thanks
    Grenage
    • 22nd Sep 16, 12:25 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 12:25 PM
    I spent last week replacing my guttering and repainting the fascias/soffits/bargeboards; the main cost was the scaffolding - at 1k alone.

It depends where you are, but I imagine 1.5k to be a little on the optimistic side. Time to get some quotes!
    • Carmk2008
    • By Carmk2008 22nd Sep 16, 1:10 PM
    • 45 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Carmk2008
    • 22nd Sep 16, 1:10 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 1:10 PM
    I am being optimistic, someone at work had a chimney removed for 750 cash so that leaves 75 for the remaining work. It is a 3 bed semi if that helps.
    • Grenage
    • By Grenage 22nd Sep 16, 2:58 PM
    • 654 Posts
    • 621 Thanks
    Grenage
    • 22nd Sep 16, 2:58 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 2:58 PM
    It is a 3 bed semi if that helps.
    It will probably help the people from which you get some quotes.
    • missprice
    • By missprice 22nd Sep 16, 3:27 PM
    • 3,037 Posts
    • 69,571 Thanks
    missprice
    • 22nd Sep 16, 3:27 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 3:27 PM
    I am being optimistic, someone at work had a chimney removed for 750 cash so that leaves 75 for the remaining work. It is a 3 bed semi if that helps.
    Is the chimney on a party wall? most likely need PWA. Do building control need to know?
    Both these can add to costs
    2015 wins banks beer tshirt, storm London watch and necklace, mulu choc star Argos vouchers= 1172.90

Congratulations
    • Carmk2008
    • By Carmk2008 22nd Sep 16, 4:25 PM
    • 45 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Carmk2008
    • 22nd Sep 16, 4:25 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 4:25 PM
    Chimney isn't on the party wall. What is PWA I had a structural engineer out about another matter and he suggested doing away with it, never mentioned building control regarding that.
    • missprice
    • By missprice 22nd Sep 16, 4:28 PM
    • 3,037 Posts
    • 69,571 Thanks
    missprice
    Chimney isn't on the party wall. What is PWA I had a structural engineer out about another matter and he suggested doing away with it, never mentioned building control regarding that.
    PWA = Party Wall Act
    If chimney not on party Wall it dont matter. Building control on the other hand may still want to know. Check your local one and ask them

Congratulations
    • Carmk2008
    • By Carmk2008 22nd Sep 16, 5:08 PM
    • 45 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Carmk2008
    Pretty sure if the whole stack is removed I don't need to inform building control, I plan to get roofer to remove chimney outside and I will strip the rest myself.
    • glasgowdan
    • By glasgowdan 22nd Sep 16, 5:59 PM
    • 1,232 Posts
    • 1,322 Thanks
    glasgowdan
    You've mentioned 'on the side' and 'cash'... I think you want to go to some local temporary caravan sites to find the type of person you seem to want to do the job. Just don't expect your lead flashing to still be there when they leave.
    • Carmk2008
    • By Carmk2008 22nd Sep 16, 6:43 PM
    • 45 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Carmk2008
    Why do you say that, you never had a job done on the side? 2 of them have done work before for me, guess what the lead flashing was still there. The other roofer is someone that a family member knows. I take it you pay full whack for every job you get done?
    • Grenage
    • By Grenage 22nd Sep 16, 9:24 PM
    • 654 Posts
    • 621 Thanks
    Grenage
    Why do you say that, you never had a job done on the side? 2 of them have done work before for me, guess what the lead flashing was still there. The other roofer is someone that a family member knows. I take it you pay full whack for every job you get done?
    Not everyone's a tax dodger.
    • missprice
    • By missprice 22nd Sep 16, 9:46 PM
    • 3,037 Posts
    • 69,571 Thanks
    missprice
    Pretty sure if the whole stack is removed I don't need to inform building control, I plan to get roofer to remove chimney outside and I will strip the rest myself.
    Entirely your choice of course but I needed BC for removing a non load bearing wall and the downstairs chimney stack, when I change the windows and pave the drive i will also need BC.

Eta because one day I may need to sell the house and BC stating what's been done is to a good standard (or whatever they say) will help with the sale. Same as electrical rewire certificate thing which we also got.
    Last edited by missprice; 22-09-2016 at 9:49 PM.

Congratulations
    • Carmk2008
    • By Carmk2008 23rd Sep 16, 7:29 AM
    • 45 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Carmk2008
    @ Grenage Neither am i, but I will always look to get best value for my money which is the whole point of this site. Pretty sure the people I have lined up pay their fair share of tax too, so I certainly don't grudge them earning some more on the side.
    • Carmk2008
    • By Carmk2008 23rd Sep 16, 7:33 AM
    • 45 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Carmk2008
    Entirely your choice of course but I needed BC for removing a non load bearing wall and the downstairs chimney stack, when I change the windows and pave the drive i will also need BC.

Eta because one day I may need to sell the house and BC stating what's been done is to a good standard (or whatever they say) will help with the sale. Same as electrical rewire certificate thing which we also got.
    Originally posted by missprice
    . I appreciate what you are saying, I am already getting a structural engineer to do the calculations and submit plans to the council everything that is getting done will be signed off.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,282Posts Today

4,213Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • If you know you're bust you must declare it asap. So no firm ever says "yes we plan to go insolvent". So you never? https://t.co/w8aIKOqHzq

• Some people misreading... it's NOT the rumours of insolvency of the Monarchy! Its Monarch airlines (again tho I've no idea of its validity)

• Also re #monarchinsolvency rumours it's important to state Monarch are firmly denying it... https://t.co/N27MENRjY9

• Follow Martin