Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mr_Toad
    • By Mr_Toad 22nd Sep 16, 10:04 AM
    • 2,281Posts
    • 3,554Thanks
    Mr_Toad
    iPlayer and other catchup TV
    • 22nd Sep 16, 10:04 AM
    iPlayer and other catchup TV 22nd Sep 16 at 10:04 AM
    Prompted by comments in the Internet speed thread.

Someone mentioned that even with Virgin cable that iPlayer was buffering. Well I have the same issue, not always but then again I don't use it that often, because of the buffering.

I have BT Infinity and get good speeds.

It's not just iPlayer, I recently tried to watch something I'd forgotten to record on the ITV player.

It was so bad, constantly buffering, that I gave up in the end. What really annoyed me was that before the program started I was forced to watch the adverts which of course played perfectly without any buffering. Adverts end buffering starts then buffering every few minutes of program. Then comes the advert break and no buffering at all.

Other people I know with none fibre BB don't seem to get these problems so I'm open to suggestions as to what the problem might be.

My TV and Youview box are both on a wired Ethernet connection and both suffer buffering when using the various catch up players.
    One by one the penguins are slowly stealing my sanity.
Page 1
    • mirko
    • By mirko 22nd Sep 16, 10:13 AM
    • 121 Posts
    • 111 Thanks
    mirko
    • 22nd Sep 16, 10:13 AM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 10:13 AM
    May be the device you're running it on rather than the internet.

If you're running it on the PC have you tried running it on a tablet/phone to see if the buffering still happens?

It may be that there are a lot of background apps/software running on your PC that need to be closed before you run iPlayer.
    • Fightsback
    • By Fightsback 22nd Sep 16, 10:33 AM
    • 2,238 Posts
    • 1,251 Thanks
    Fightsback
    • 22nd Sep 16, 10:33 AM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 10:33 AM
    Try running a ping and/or traceroute over a long period of time, start at the TV ethernet. I had an intermittent high ping problem that was eventually down to an issue at the exchange.
    Last edited by Fightsback; 22-09-2016 at 10:37 AM.
    Science isn't exact, it's only confidence within limits.
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 22nd Sep 16, 10:44 AM
    • 1,206 Posts
    • 675 Thanks
    AndyPix
    • 22nd Sep 16, 10:44 AM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 10:44 AM
    I hear this time and again from cable customers.
    Im not exactly sure that the speeds they advertise and show up in speed tests are actually true.

I think they may actually throttle ports/sites usually used for video streaming

but allow full speeds for speed testing sites etc.
    Similar to the VW scandal.

This is of course only my conjecture and i dont use cable
    Running with scissors since 1978
    • Mr_Toad
    • By Mr_Toad 22nd Sep 16, 10:50 AM
    • 2,281 Posts
    • 3,554 Thanks
    Mr_Toad
    • 22nd Sep 16, 10:50 AM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 10:50 AM
    I'm getting the same problem using the player app on the TV and on the Youview box. I've never watched them via a tablet or PC.

I have Netflix and get no issues at all with that.

I'll run traceroute/ping as suggested.
    • Mr_Toad
    • By Mr_Toad 22nd Sep 16, 10:53 AM
    • 2,281 Posts
    • 3,554 Thanks
    Mr_Toad
    • 22nd Sep 16, 10:53 AM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 10:53 AM
    I hear this time and again from cable customers.
    Im not exactly sure that the speeds they advertise and show up in speed tests are actually true.

I think they may actually throttle ports/sites usually used for video streaming

but allow full speeds for speed testing sites etc.
    Similar to the VW scandal.

This is of course only my conjecture and i dont use cable
    Originally posted by AndyPix
    This was my thought too. In my mind I had kind of decided that it was ISP traffic shaping and forgotten about it.

That said my girlfriend is also a BT customer but on the standard BB getting a 8.5meg download speed and she uses iPlayer etc. a lot and doesn't have these issues.
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 22nd Sep 16, 11:00 AM
    • 1,206 Posts
    • 675 Thanks
    AndyPix
    • 22nd Sep 16, 11:00 AM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 11:00 AM
    Yeah, as iv said before , i have a standard copper 4.5Mb connection and i never get buffering on anything
    Running with scissors since 1978
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 22nd Sep 16, 11:06 AM
    • 7,658 Posts
    • 6,886 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    • 22nd Sep 16, 11:06 AM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 11:06 AM
    I'd suggest using the Download facility on iPlayer as a workaround.

In terms of the underlying technical issue, there are several possible causes, and you'd need to work through a rigourous process to eliminate each one.

I'd start by attaching one or more devices directly to the Router by Ethernet cable to eliminate wifi as a possible cause. Also, you could look at changing the wifi channel.

Use a good broadband speed checker to see what actual speeds you are getting. There are differing views on the required speed, but I would say that 3-8 Mbps is a reasonable range, above which you shouldn't have any problems. There are other technical qualities to the connection such as latency which can also affect this (though they shouldn't if the player is properly engineered).
    57 channels and the Beeb ain't one.

From 1 September 2016, you need a TV Licence to watch TV via BBC iPlayer.
    • Naf
    • By Naf 22nd Sep 16, 11:22 AM
    • 2,902 Posts
    • 2,166 Thanks
    Naf
    • 22nd Sep 16, 11:22 AM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 11:22 AM
    The catch-up services are massively over-subscribed; and iPlayer more than the others. The buffering isn't lack of bandwidth for customers (although peak contention won't be helping), it's lack of bandwidth at the server side.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    - Mark Twain
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon: no matter how good you are at chess, its just going to knock over the pieces and strut around like its victorious.
    • buglawton
    • By buglawton 22nd Sep 16, 8:53 PM
    • 6,395 Posts
    • 2,662 Thanks
    buglawton
    Spend £50 to diagnose the issue, invest in a 4g MiFi or allow your phone to be a Hotspot and test that way. If it works fine then it's your Internet Service Provider that needs kicking out, pronto.

On Virgin cable have not seen buffering for years on any catch-up TV, and at my mums on Plusnet ADSL quoted at about 14 MB/s, zero buffering.
    Last edited by buglawton; 22-09-2016 at 8:56 PM.
    Got a fur sink. An electric dog polisher. A gasoline powered turtleneck sweater. And, of course, I bought some dumb stuff, too. ĖSteve Martin
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,064Posts Today

6,286Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @PapaSlavs: @MartinSLewis hi, how much per month should I typically charge my daughter board & lodgings now she's left uni and become an?

• RT @EssexHebridean: 13 years, 2 months and 6 days after taking it out, we've just paid the final lump sum off our mortgage. #MortgageFree @?

• Many first time buyers panicked about Help to Buy mortgage guarantee ending, here's my video on what it really mean? https://t.co/uGD6sG4hvl

• Follow Martin