Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 22nd Sep 16, 10:39 AM
    • 3,283 Posts
    • 12,127 Thanks
    indesisiv
    • 22nd Sep 16, 10:39 AM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 10:39 AM
    For me, I wouldn't want to go near it. I dislike the horrible mix of random colours and all of the rooms just look disjointed. I wouldn't even begin to think about buying it as I would have to alter 99% of it. It just looks like a tacky retro diner sort of attempt ... and I don't like those either.

However I appreciate that others have different tastes. I guess that if you like that sort of thing.

To be fair I don't like quite a lot of my house either but I just don't have the funds to do it as I want it just yet.
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
    • Judi
    • By Judi 22nd Sep 16, 11:01 AM
    • 13,420 Posts
    • 52,684 Thanks
    Judi
    • 22nd Sep 16, 11:01 AM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 11:01 AM
    No i would hate it. Having said that, it would be a shame if someone bought it and gutted it.
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • tommix
    • By tommix 22nd Sep 16, 11:28 AM
    • 32,053 Posts
    • 132,652 Thanks
    tommix
    • 22nd Sep 16, 11:28 AM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 11:28 AM
    Love it..It's like entering a world of Waffles and Maple Syrup. Oh look there's Frank and Dino knocking back the Bourbon.
    • Alikay
    • By Alikay 22nd Sep 16, 12:15 PM
    • 4,482 Posts
    • 12,125 Thanks
    Alikay
    • 22nd Sep 16, 12:15 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 12:15 PM
    I love it - very American though. 1950's Britain was a lot more austere. Still lots of lovely simple lines and bright colours though...I remember my grandparents' red and white kitchen and there being a LOT of Formica in their flat...cocktail cabinet, coffee table with flamenco dancers on etc! Very cheery and uplifting
    • Gettingtherequickly
    • By Gettingtherequickly 22nd Sep 16, 12:21 PM
    • 3,006 Posts
    • 12,493 Thanks
    Gettingtherequickly
    • 22nd Sep 16, 12:21 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 12:21 PM
    While I have got to say that eclectic mix of colours would probably drive me mad, I love the fact that they have used a lot of natural lighting which makes it more bearable. It wouldn't take much to make it more modern as most of it appears to be movable furniture.
    Did my LBM in reverseFinally debt free with money in the bank!

I know I am getting old, but there is no need for my consultant to age me by another 10 years 😉
    • hunters
    • By hunters 22nd Sep 16, 12:22 PM
    • 183 Posts
    • 777 Thanks
    hunters
    • 22nd Sep 16, 12:22 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 12:22 PM
    I love it too, especially the car. I remember orange hitting UK in the 60s I had an orange kitchen
    • maninthestreet
    • By maninthestreet 22nd Sep 16, 12:23 PM
    • 14,823 Posts
    • 13,042 Thanks
    maninthestreet
    • 22nd Sep 16, 12:23 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 12:23 PM
    Big Boy Statue???

Shoudn't there be a Dolorean parked on the drive??
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
    • Ames
    • By Ames 22nd Sep 16, 1:42 PM
    • 15,211 Posts
    • 25,770 Thanks
    Ames
    • 22nd Sep 16, 1:42 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 1:42 PM
    I'm not keen on the kitchen but I love the rest of it. I'd live there as long as it had modern appliances.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.

Recent reads: Everyday Sexism by Laura Bates. Headscarves and Hymens by Mona Eltahawy. Justice - What is the Right Thing To Do by Michael Sandel. Is Multiculturalism Bad For Women by Susan Moller Okin.
    • maninthestreet
    • By maninthestreet 22nd Sep 16, 4:26 PM
    • 14,823 Posts
    • 13,042 Thanks
    maninthestreet
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGITFJr_4Po
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
    • Nomoonatall
    • By Nomoonatall 22nd Sep 16, 4:48 PM
    • 433 Posts
    • 1,112 Thanks
    Nomoonatall
    Love it! I'd move in today!
    • SailorSam
    • By SailorSam 22nd Sep 16, 5:06 PM
    • 20,525 Posts
    • 35,127 Thanks
    SailorSam
    It makes you laugh when you look back at photos which don't seem that long ago.
    Ben Sherman pink shirts with penny round collars; flares; cuban heel boots, and my Kevin Keegan haircut...........
    I thought i was the bees knees.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 22nd Sep 16, 6:15 PM
    • 21,069 Posts
    • 81,132 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    I think it's great - each area only has one or two complementary colours on a white/grey background, so there's bright colours, but toned down so they aren't completely in your face.

The only room that lets it down is the kitchen, as that just looks brown and boring.

I'd want the car as well, though - and at such a low price compared to crappy semis over here, it would be affordable...
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
    • Quizzical Squirrel
    • By Quizzical Squirrel 22nd Sep 16, 6:33 PM
    • 77 Posts
    • 3,189 Thanks
    Quizzical Squirrel
    I see a lot of mid-century modern decor in my area.

Young people like it because it's sparse, light and compact for small spaces, not their parents' style but status free and financially attainable.

It's also very popular with Japanese people so that has helped preserve the style through the years.

It works very well in what's termed 'contemporary' houses (circa 60s and 70s) which are the least favoured American style of architecture but yet these houses often have a kind of Japanese aesthetic.

This makes it a match made in heaven. A Japanese expat buys the house, fills it with mid-century modern style furnishings and Bob's your uncle.
    • fussypensioner
    • By fussypensioner 22nd Sep 16, 6:49 PM
    • 1,756 Posts
    • 3,566 Thanks
    fussypensioner
    I would love a 50's or 60's house. Especially furnished with Nathan, Habitat and the Danish furniture designs. We once had a split level house with a wooden open staircase, wasn't much good when the babies started to crawl.
    Holding back the years...
    • barbiedoll
    • By barbiedoll 22nd Sep 16, 11:17 PM
    • 4,519 Posts
    • 12,261 Thanks
    barbiedoll
    Love, love, love it! Especially the orange dining chairs!

When can I move in....and where can I get a bleached blonde beehive hairdo, kitten heels and a frilly apron?
    "I may be many things but not being indiscreet isn't one of them"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,088Posts Today

6,057Users online

Martin's Twitter