Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • russetred
    • By russetred 22nd Sep 16, 9:41 AM
    • 1,157Posts
    • 8,934Thanks
    russetred
    Free VPN
    • 22nd Sep 16, 9:41 AM
    Free VPN 22nd Sep 16 at 9:41 AM
    I'm going on holiday for a week soon to Turkey and was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of a free VPN or at least low cost version. I have a couple of sites I visit every day which I know I would not be able to access without a UK address. I don't really need a subscription as I only travel abroad two times a year. Many thanks.
    "Sometimes life sucks....but the alternative is unacceptable."
Page 1
    • Fightsback
    • By Fightsback 22nd Sep 16, 9:48 AM
    • 2,183 Posts
    • 1,213 Thanks
    Fightsback
    • 22nd Sep 16, 9:48 AM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 9:48 AM
    Article here:

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/test-centre/internet/best-vpn-services-2016-uk-best-vpn-reviews-vpns-explained-3641578/

"Everyone likes good value, and nothing looks quite as invitingly good as free. But as with any online service that is billed as free, beware that you’re as likely to be selling your soul as getting a good deal. Offers that promise free VPN connections may have dangerous strings attached."
    Science isn't exact, it's only confidence within limits.
    • kwikbreaks
    • By kwikbreaks 22nd Sep 16, 10:39 AM
    • 8,205 Posts
    • 4,066 Thanks
    kwikbreaks
    • 22nd Sep 16, 10:39 AM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 10:39 AM
    TunnelBear is easy to use - either system wide or as a browser plugin. You get 500MB a month free boosted either by or to 1GB in return for a tweet. You can just buy a month if that isn't enough.
    • abibee
    • By abibee 22nd Sep 16, 1:57 PM
    • 393 Posts
    • 233 Thanks
    abibee
    • 22nd Sep 16, 1:57 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 1:57 PM
    You could consider Zenmate, it's a browser plugin. Free for use, with a premium version, but the free version should be more than adequate.

For Chrome: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/zenmate-vpn-best-cyber-se/fdcgdnkidjaadafnichfpabhfomcebme?hl=en

For Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefox/addon/zenmate-security-privacy-vpn/
    • mirko
    • By mirko 22nd Sep 16, 1:58 PM
    • 121 Posts
    • 111 Thanks
    mirko
    • 22nd Sep 16, 1:58 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 1:58 PM
    I would advise against using a free VPN. It doesn't cost much (a few quid) to get a months subscription for a paid service (and it's likely to be more reliable).
    • russetred
    • By russetred 22nd Sep 16, 3:38 PM
    • 1,157 Posts
    • 8,934 Thanks
    russetred
    • 22nd Sep 16, 3:38 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 3:38 PM
    I'm not going to be using it for any confidential or financial stuff. I play a free game on a bingo site everyday. It may sound pathetic but I made 840 last year so I hate to miss any day as it all adds up to paying for my holiday IYSWIM.
    • rhysadams
    • By rhysadams 22nd Sep 16, 4:08 PM
    • 112 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    rhysadams
    • 22nd Sep 16, 4:08 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 4:08 PM
    If you have an iPhone just use the Opera browser
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 22nd Sep 16, 4:20 PM
    • 1,196 Posts
    • 665 Thanks
    AndyPix
    • 22nd Sep 16, 4:20 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 4:20 PM
    I would advise against using a free VPN. It doesn't cost much (a few quid) to get a months subscription for a paid service (and it's likely to be more reliable).
    Originally posted by mirko

Second that . Nothing is free.
    They have to pay for their running costs somehow, so that will either be by selling your data , spamming you with adverts, or "man in the middling" you fishing for sensitive financial info

If you use a product that you dont pay for, then you ARE the product
    Running with scissors since 1978
    • RumRat
    • By RumRat 22nd Sep 16, 4:51 PM
    • 1,966 Posts
    • 967 Thanks
    RumRat
    • 22nd Sep 16, 4:51 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 4:51 PM
    Second that . Nothing is free.
    They have to pay for their running costs somehow, so that will either be by selling your data , spamming you with adverts, or "man in the middling" you fishing for sensitive financial info

If you use a product that you dont pay for, then you ARE the product
    Originally posted by AndyPix
    Have a look at CyberGhost. Since they sorted the Google stuff out even the free version is good, and AFAIK they don't sell anything.
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 22nd Sep 16, 4:55 PM
    • 1,196 Posts
    • 665 Thanks
    AndyPix
    Dont doubt you for a sec RumRat .. But how do they make their money then ?

What is their motivation for providing this service for free, when they undoubtebly have costs to do so ..

:S
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 22nd Sep 16, 5:09 PM
    • 7,459 Posts
    • 11,050 Thanks
    worried jim
    You could consider Zenmate, it's a browser plugin. Free for use, with a premium version, but the free version should be more than adequate.

For Chrome: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/zenmate-vpn-best-cyber-se/fdcgdnkidjaadafnichfpabhfomcebme?hl=en

For Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefox/addon/zenmate-security-privacy-vpn/
    Originally posted by abibee
    I've just used Zenmate in Turkey on my ipad with no issues.
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • Naf
    • By Naf 22nd Sep 16, 5:46 PM
    • 2,887 Posts
    • 2,141 Thanks
    Naf
    Its probably fairly easy to set it up at home on your existing connection.
    Depends a little on your router model.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    - Mark Twain
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon: no matter how good you are at chess, its just going to knock over the pieces and strut around like its victorious.
    • stockton
    • By stockton 22nd Sep 16, 9:20 PM
    • 235 Posts
    • 106 Thanks
    stockton
    I'm not going to be using it for any confidential or financial stuff. I play a free game on a bingo site everyday. It may sound pathetic but I made 840 last year so I hate to miss any day as it all adds up to paying for my holiday IYSWIM.
    Originally posted by russetred
    Like the odd game of bingo myself. Where is the game at?

Seriously though, I have come to the conclusion that all the major internet corporations and advertisers (not to mention hackers) all want our personal information. Knowledge is money. This is not going to change any time soon just because I might think it is unethical. The pursuit of money always wins out.

Hence I am now in the market for a VPN. As others have said I would not go for a free one because nothing is free. Friend of mine has IPVanish and is very happy with it. Would cost me about 60 a year. When you think about it it is buttons compared to what we spend on hardware without even blinking.
    • RumRat
    • By RumRat 22nd Sep 16, 10:09 PM
    • 1,966 Posts
    • 967 Thanks
    RumRat
    Dont doubt you for a sec RumRat .. But how do they make their money then ?

What is their motivation for providing this service for free, when they undoubtebly have costs to do so ..

:S
    Originally posted by AndyPix
    Hi Andy
    The free service is there to promote the paid for service. It has a 3 hour cut off and takes time to log on while you wait for a free server.
    If you don't want the wait or the cut off, just buy a plan.
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
    • arrallas
    • By arrallas 23rd Sep 16, 9:03 AM
    • 129 Posts
    • 65 Thanks
    arrallas
    +1 for the latest Opera browser which has a VPN built in. Available for all platforms now.
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 23rd Sep 16, 9:12 AM
    • 1,196 Posts
    • 665 Thanks
    AndyPix
    Hi Andy
    The free service is there to promote the paid for service. It has a 3 hour cut off and takes time to log on while you wait for a free server.
    If you don't want the wait or the cut off, just buy a plan.
    Originally posted by RumRat

Gotcha - that makes sense..
    • Fightsback
    • By Fightsback 23rd Sep 16, 9:23 AM
    • 2,183 Posts
    • 1,213 Thanks
    Fightsback
    +1 for the latest Opera browser which has a VPN built in. Available for all platforms now.
    Originally posted by arrallas
    It is not a VPN, it's a proxy. A VPN encrypts all your traffic which if you really care about security and privacy I'd suggest using a reputable one on a public Wifi.
    Science isn't exact, it's only confidence within limits.
    • hans 2
    • By hans 2 23rd Sep 16, 9:46 AM
    • 220 Posts
    • 113 Thanks
    hans 2
    Originally posted by arrallas

Germany, Singapore, Canada, the Netherlands and the U.S.locations only.

No UK server.
    • rhysadams
    • By rhysadams 23rd Sep 16, 9:53 AM
    • 112 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    rhysadams
    There is a good way of doing it, if you don't mind splashing out for a new router.

I'm with Plusnet, so for a one off Fiver I got a static IP. I then purchased a Draytek Router off ebay and configured both my iPhone and iPad to be a dial up user.

On my iPhone I originally set this up as a PP2P but now its an L2TP due to security with iOS 10. I have told it to route all internet traffic through this VPN gateway.

Now when I'm abroad or using UK WiFi spots, I go into VPN and turn it on.

Works a treat and doesn't cost me anything per month.
    • russetred
    • By russetred 23rd Sep 16, 10:20 AM
    • 1,157 Posts
    • 8,934 Thanks
    russetred
    Thanks to all who replied. Slightly off topic but Stockton a few years ago I discovered both jackpotjoy and sun bingo had free games every day. Sundown races on SB and tikki temple on JPJ.SB has been taken over and there free game has gone but JPJ still has news headlines where you reveal 6 spaces every day with an added free game at the end of the month.Its a bit of nonesense but pays well and I have never been tempted to gamble so works for me.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,719Posts Today

5,952Users online

Martin's Twitter