Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mayday
    • By Mayday 22nd Sep 16, 9:22 AM
    • 531Posts
    • 279Thanks
    Mayday
    At long last.......... [Hotpoint Tumble Drier]
    • 22nd Sep 16, 9:22 AM
    At long last.......... [Hotpoint Tumble Drier] 22nd Sep 16 at 9:22 AM
    At long last my Hotpoint Tumble Drier is going to be modified - 11 months after registering it after safety concerns were raised.

Has anyone else waited this long?
Page 1
    • Stevie Palimo
    • By Stevie Palimo 22nd Sep 16, 9:25 AM
    • 2,541 Posts
    • 3,714 Thanks
    Stevie Palimo
    • 22nd Sep 16, 9:25 AM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 9:25 AM
    Don't have a hotpoint one but if I did have and had been made to wait that period of time then I would have purchased another one and taken action against them via the legal route, Seems appalling that they can leave a product that can cause a fire to be left in somebody's home for this length of time.
    " I refuse to censor myself because it may offend someone. If you don't like me that's ok, I don't need your approval. "
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 22nd Sep 16, 9:36 AM
    • 17,053 Posts
    • 38,745 Thanks
    peachyprice
    • 22nd Sep 16, 9:36 AM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 9:36 AM
    Don't have a hotpoint one but if I did have and had been made to wait that period of time then I would have purchased another one and taken action against them via the legal route, Seems appalling that they can leave a product that can cause a fire to be left in somebody's home for this length of time.
    Originally posted by Stevie Palimo
    Any tumble dryer can cause a fire if the filter isn't cleaned after each use.

That's what I don't get about all of this, I've always known, and I don't remember from where, that you don't go out or go to bed with a tumble dryer running, regardless of brand, they're all a fire risk.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • C.C.L.
    • By C.C.L. 22nd Sep 16, 11:12 AM
    • 316 Posts
    • 233 Thanks
    C.C.L.
    • 22nd Sep 16, 11:12 AM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 11:12 AM
    At long last my Hotpoint Tumble Drier is going to be modified - 11 months after registering it after safety concerns were raised.

Has anyone else waited this long?
    Originally posted by Mayday
    Yes, mine was done 2 weeks ago and I registered straight away. I think it was just short of a year since I registered when the engineer came.
    He put a new back on the drier, did something to the electrics inside. Took around an hour. He also checked the socket it was plugged into, all in all I'm satisfied that the drier is ok. I very nearly took them up on the offer of a new drier (via the many emails from them) as I thought it would never get done.
    • thescouselander
    • By thescouselander 22nd Sep 16, 3:55 PM
    • 4,741 Posts
    • 4,178 Thanks
    thescouselander
    • 22nd Sep 16, 3:55 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 3:55 PM
    We had ours done back in March.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 22nd Sep 16, 3:59 PM
    • 5,120 Posts
    • 3,116 Thanks
    teddysmum
    • 22nd Sep 16, 3:59 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 3:59 PM
    Not Hotpoint brand, but my son got a new machine.

I won't go to bed or leave the house with a tumbler dryer or washing machine running, as when most of ours failed , they did so with some kind of electrical impact.
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 22nd Sep 16, 8:56 PM
    • 2,898 Posts
    • 31,682 Thanks
    camelot1001
    • 22nd Sep 16, 8:56 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 8:56 PM
    I got fed up waiting (it would be at least a year) and bought a new one, £49 as I dropped off the old one and collected the replacement.
    Mine was about 8 years old and although not used often thought it a good price and have a years guarantee.
    • Hoploz
    • By Hoploz 22nd Sep 16, 9:28 PM
    • 2,786 Posts
    • 2,491 Thanks
    Hoploz
    • 22nd Sep 16, 9:28 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 9:28 PM
    I bought a new replacement for £79 as mine was about 7-8 years old anyway it was worth it.

Tumble driers are indeed generally one of the biggest causes of fire, but as I understand it these models had no divider between lint filter and heating element, hence the particular hazard in these ones. Easy for the lint to come into contact with heat/electrical parts
    • bouncydog1
    • By bouncydog1 23rd Sep 16, 4:45 AM
    • 2,562 Posts
    • 2,020 Thanks
    bouncydog1
    • 23rd Sep 16, 4:45 AM
    • 23rd Sep 16, 4:45 AM
    John Lewis gave me my money back as drier was under 6 months old when Hotpoint made their announcement. paid extra and got an AEG which I'm very happy with.
    • lstar337
    • By lstar337 23rd Sep 16, 9:39 AM
    • 2,708 Posts
    • 1,375 Thanks
    lstar337
    I got a free brand new same model replacement in 3 weeks. I just messaged through FB that I wasn't prepared to wait months for an inherent fault to be fixed.
    • schwam66
    • By schwam66 25th Sep 16, 9:45 AM
    • 157 Posts
    • 77 Thanks
    schwam66
    Yes, mine was done 2 weeks ago and I registered straight away. I think it was just short of a year since I registered when the engineer came.
    He put a new back on the drier, did something to the electrics inside. Took around an hour. He also checked the socket it was plugged into, all in all I'm satisfied that the drier is ok. I very nearly took them up on the offer of a new drier (via the many emails from them) as I thought it would never get done.
    Originally posted by C.C.L.
    thats what they want you to do, why they drag it out like they do....i was tempted too, have finally had a call to book a spot for next month been over a year since i registered, funny the email they send doesnt even have the model i have to be replaced with!!! dont want a 4.5 kilo one when i have an 8 kilo drum now!!!! silly....it was never an issue anyways we always empty it out and do all that anyways but crazy none the less.....
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,130Posts Today

7,767Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's twitter poll: If a cheap clothing store admitted under 12s in foreign factories made their clothes would it stop you buying?

• RT @toes_pointy: @MoneySavingExp @MartinSLewis Feeling smug. Used MSE sky code to change bband provider, saved £150 & got £50 free credit.?

• MSE weekly email: Ending - Brit Gas £300/yr off & free £30M&S, Vax 75%off, £15off Tesco Wine, £64/yr bband, £8 duvet https://t.co/bS4J70hBbx

• Follow Martin