Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bxboards
    • By bxboards 22nd Sep 16, 9:04 AM
    • 1,062Posts
    • 856Thanks
    bxboards
    Ebay - Russia - beware using custom locatons
    • 22nd Sep 16, 9:04 AM
    Ebay - Russia - beware using custom locatons 22nd Sep 16 at 9:04 AM
    Hello

We sell high value 4 figure items and generally stick to the UK or EU.

Recently I've found offers on Buy It Now / Best Offer for Russian buyers. Nothing against them, but the due to the value of the items, they will be held by Customs for several weeks, and we would naturally lose any Paypal or Ebay claims so we do not post there. Can't have potential 3k+ items in dispute while their customs take their time...

On the custo postage form (as opposed to the world wide postage option), we have Europe, European Union, France, Ireland etc checked - Russia is not checked on the custom location.

On the block list for countries, I have found Russia appears twice, in Europe and Asia, so you need to tick BOTH of those too, otherwise Russia still comes up.

Even now, I am finding that the listing says: 'seller posts to Russia, contact for postage details'. It seems the only way to stop a Russian postage option appearing is to uncheck the Europe option on the custom postage form, which means we miss out on a whole load of other countries we do post to which Ebay classifies in the rather nebulous 'Europe' definition.

The item is too valuable to be eligible for Ebay Global Shipping, and far exceeds the limit they put on Russia or indeed anywhere else, so that is not a workaround for safe shipping.

Something seems to have changed recently as I never had this problem previously but I can't figure out how to fix this short of completely removing the Europe option.

Thanks!
Page 1
    • soolin
    • By soolin 22nd Sep 16, 9:25 AM
    • 57,423 Posts
    • 40,556 Thanks
    soolin
    • 22nd Sep 16, 9:25 AM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 9:25 AM
    Thank you for the warning. I've just tested a couple of my listings that use my usual template, and Russia is definitely still blocked.

Worth noting in case there is yet another ebay glitch though, I don't want Russia opened up for sales again, lovely people and happy to spend money, but huge losses due to the customs issue when I last sold there.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move posts there. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • curty510
    • By curty510 22nd Sep 16, 1:58 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 96 Thanks
    curty510
    • 22nd Sep 16, 1:58 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 1:58 PM
    I Have sold twice to Russia, never again, both items did not arrive.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

238Posts Today

1,715Users online

Martin's Twitter