Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • adonis10
    • By adonis10 22nd Sep 16, 8:27 AM
    • 1,035Posts
    • 106Thanks
    adonis10
    HL stocks and shares isa - investment advice
    • 22nd Sep 16, 8:27 AM
    HL stocks and shares isa - investment advice 22nd Sep 16 at 8:27 AM
    So, I have made the switch from the expensive Virgin S&S all share tracker to HL. However, I am have the predicament of choosing between the multitude of funds to invest in. Firstly, my attitude to risk is probably around medium as I'm young enough to allow the investment to build up over a number of years and it is frankly not enough to cry about if things don't go so well; currently 2.1k and plan to top up with £300 per month.

Any advice?
    Last edited by adonis10; 22-09-2016 at 9:56 AM.
Page 1
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 22nd Sep 16, 9:10 AM
    • 3,525 Posts
    • 3,563 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    • 22nd Sep 16, 9:10 AM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 9:10 AM
    Vanguard Lifestrategy 80 (or 60 if you are very cautious. But if you are young, you should err on the side of more risk, time is on your side. )
    Last edited by AnotherJoe; 22-09-2016 at 10:00 AM.
    • adonis10
    • By adonis10 22nd Sep 16, 9:57 AM
    • 1,035 Posts
    • 106 Thanks
    adonis10
    • 22nd Sep 16, 9:57 AM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 9:57 AM
    Vanguard Lifestrategy 80 (or 60 if you are very cautious. But if you are young, you should err on the side of more risk, time is on your side. )

P.s. You chose a terrible title, as its really nothing to do with the switch but it's about what investments to hold. Most might think it's about how to switch, not what investments to hold. You can change the title if you go to edit / advanced
    Originally posted by AnotherJoe

Not young as such (33) but young in terms of years to retirement!

LS100 if I fancy a bit more risk?
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 22nd Sep 16, 9:59 AM
    • 3,525 Posts
    • 3,563 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    • 22nd Sep 16, 9:59 AM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 9:59 AM
    Not young as such (33) but young in terms of years to retirement!

LS100 if I fancy a bit more risk?
    Originally posted by adonis10
    Yes I only suggested 80 as you mentioned being cautious.
    • adonis10
    • By adonis10 22nd Sep 16, 10:03 AM
    • 1,035 Posts
    • 106 Thanks
    adonis10
    • 22nd Sep 16, 10:03 AM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 10:03 AM
    Yes I only suggested 80 as you mentioned being cautious.
    Originally posted by AnotherJoe

Yeah, understood. Just thinking that a bit more risk isn't a bad thing as a) it is not a fortune and b) I have a decent amount in safe, lower paying accounts.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 22nd Sep 16, 11:31 AM
    • 84,121 Posts
    • 49,103 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 22nd Sep 16, 11:31 AM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 11:31 AM
    Firstly, my attitude to risk is probably around medium
    What is medium? We need context as one person's medium would be low risk and another persons medium would be high risk. On our risk profile, we have 4 levels in the medium range.

How much would be be willing for it to go down by before pulling out? 10%, 20%, 30%, 40%, 50% etc?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from a Financial Adviser local to you.
    • adonis10
    • By adonis10 22nd Sep 16, 12:29 PM
    • 1,035 Posts
    • 106 Thanks
    adonis10
    • 22nd Sep 16, 12:29 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 12:29 PM
    What is medium? We need context as one person's medium would be low risk and another persons medium would be high risk. On our risk profile, we have 4 levels in the medium range.

How much would be be willing for it to go down by before pulling out? 10%, 20%, 30%, 40%, 50% etc?
    Originally posted by dunstonh
    Good point. Remember I'm new to this game so looking for all the pointers and advice I can get.

Given the level of investment, I'd say 40-50%. If I suddenly had 20k invested I would more than likely drop that to 25-30%, but that is only if the proportion of investments:cash ratio did not stay the same.
    • TrustyOven
    • By TrustyOven 22nd Sep 16, 12:30 PM
    • 367 Posts
    • 463 Thanks
    TrustyOven
    • 22nd Sep 16, 12:30 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 12:30 PM
    Originally posted by dunstonh
    Rhetorical question: if it drops 50%, why would you pull out instead of buying more?

Goals
    Save £12k in 2014 #192
    (£4115.62 / £5k) (82.3%)
    Save £12k in 2016 #041 (£1135.56 / £6k) (18.9%)
    • jimjames
    • By jimjames 22nd Sep 16, 12:33 PM
    • 10,459 Posts
    • 8,439 Thanks
    jimjames
    • 22nd Sep 16, 12:33 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 12:33 PM
    Rhetorical question: if it drops 50%, why would you pull out instead of buying more?

Originally posted by TrustyOven
    Good question. But people do panic and sell, odd when they do the opposite if shops have a bargain sale!
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
    • adonis10
    • By adonis10 22nd Sep 16, 12:35 PM
    • 1,035 Posts
    • 106 Thanks
    adonis10

Originally posted by TrustyOven
    For me, that would be due to inexperience and lack of nerve. However, you raise a very good point there and one I will keep in mind when this happens.
    • ThemeOne
    • By ThemeOne 22nd Sep 16, 12:42 PM
    • 596 Posts
    • 440 Thanks
    ThemeOne
    Have you looked at the information available on the HL site to help you decide? It's quite comprehensive.
    • adonis10
    • By adonis10 22nd Sep 16, 12:46 PM
    • 1,035 Posts
    • 106 Thanks
    adonis10
    Have you looked at the information available on the HL site to help you decide? It's quite comprehensive.
    Originally posted by ThemeOne
    Indeed I have and there is so much info, hence why I took a while to decide!

Opted for Vanguard LS80 for now.
    • badger09
    • By badger09 22nd Sep 16, 1:16 PM
    • 4,108 Posts
    • 3,337 Thanks
    badger09
    What made you choose HL?
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 22nd Sep 16, 1:35 PM
    • 84,121 Posts
    • 49,103 Thanks
    dunstonh
    You can never underestimate behavioural risk. it is one thing saying that you would not pull out but its another thing when the risk event actually happens and the media is doing its usual scaremongering.

Until you have been through your first crash, you never really know how you are going to react.

Given the level of investment, I'd say 40-50%. If I suddenly had 20k invested I would more than likely drop that to 25-30%, but that is only if the proportion of investments:cash ratio did not stay the same.
    40-50% is more high risk (VLS100). 25-30% is more high medium (bordering between VLS60 and VLS80).
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from a Financial Adviser local to you.
    • adonis10
    • By adonis10 22nd Sep 16, 1:44 PM
    • 1,035 Posts
    • 106 Thanks
    adonis10
    What made you choose HL?
    Originally posted by badger09
    Lack of knowledge so did some research on here and Internet and decided it was a better option than virgin. Nothing scientific.
    • badger09
    • By badger09 22nd Sep 16, 4:06 PM
    • 4,108 Posts
    • 3,337 Thanks
    badger09
    Lack of knowledge so did some research on here and Internet and decided it was a better option than virgin. Nothing scientific.
    Ok. They are very user friendly for inexperienced investors. No transaction fees for buying & selling funds, but as your 'pot' get bigger they will be much more expensive, due to their 0.45% annual fee.

You might want to have a look here in due course

http://monevator.com/compare-uk-cheapest-online-brokers/

Actually, I'd recommend reading around more of Monevator's website - especially the Passive Investing section.
    • adonis10
    • By adonis10 22nd Sep 16, 4:27 PM
    • 1,035 Posts
    • 106 Thanks
    adonis10
    Ok. They are very user friendly for inexperienced investors. No transaction fees for buying & selling funds, but as your 'pot' get bigger they will be much more expensive, due to their 0.45% annual fee.

You might want to have a look here in due course

http://monevator.com/compare-uk-cheapest-online-brokers/

Actually, I'd recommend reading around more of Monevator's website - especially the Passive Investing section.
    Originally posted by badger09
    Exactly, that's another reason why I chose them for now. As I become more savvy and build up the pot, I'll move to a less expensive provider.

Thanks for the info and tips.
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 22nd Sep 16, 4:34 PM
    • 2,167 Posts
    • 3,803 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    A word of caution. HL has loads of stuff online and it all looks quite professional but it is fairly expensive which I see above someone has told you. I use the Halifax sharedealing service as my "pot" is quite large now so fee structure is good for that and have found them excellent. They dealt with the transfer of my funds really well too. Cavendish were also good which I used prior to Halifax.

Personally I use the Vanguard lifestrategy 60 but I am older than you (56). Read up on monevator and trustnet. Money moustache man.
    Save £12k in 2016 #46 £13600/£12,000
    Debt and mortgage free and saving for early retirement
    • adonis10
    • By adonis10 22nd Sep 16, 4:47 PM
    • 1,035 Posts
    • 106 Thanks
    adonis10
    A word of caution. HL has loads of stuff online and it all looks quite professional but it is fairly expensive which I see above someone has told you. I use the Halifax sharedealing service as my "pot" is quite large now so fee structure is good for that and have found them excellent. They dealt with the transfer of my funds really well too. Cavendish were also good which I used prior to Halifax.

Personally I use the Vanguard lifestrategy 60 but I am older than you (56). Read up on monevator and trustnet. Money moustache man.
    Originally posted by enthusiasticsaver
    Fair enough. To be fair it looks better than Virgin and is less than half the cost so I'm going in the right direction.

Can you change providers more than once in a year?
    • Doshwaster
    • By Doshwaster 22nd Sep 16, 4:50 PM
    • 4,381 Posts
    • 3,503 Thanks
    Doshwaster
    Exactly, that's another reason why I chose them for now. As I become more savvy and build up the pot, I'll move to a less expensive provider.

Thanks for the info and tips.
    I moved from Virgin to HL about 5 years ago when I finally realised my Virgin S&S ISA was costing me a fortune and I wanted some more diversification.

So far I have been very happy with them - their website is very easy to use and whenever I've needed to use their support they have been very helpful. However my portfolio is now getting to the size where the fees are starting to add up so I will probably be looking to change again in the next year.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

268Posts Today

1,710Users online

Martin's Twitter