Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • N9eav
    • By N9eav 22nd Sep 16, 7:30 AM
    • 4,609Posts
    • 26,353Thanks
    N9eav
    Roadworks endless roadworks
    • 22nd Sep 16, 7:30 AM
    Roadworks endless roadworks 22nd Sep 16 at 7:30 AM
    Having just driven to Birmingham and back from Cornwall and also London recently.

Can anyone tell me why is takes so long to do the roadworks? I mean those managed motorway works on the M5 and M3 are taking years and years. Why does it take so long?
    NO to pasty tax We won!!!! Just shows that people power works! Don't be apathetic to your cause!
Page 1
    • bod1467
    • By bod1467 22nd Sep 16, 9:37 AM
    • 14,771 Posts
    • 13,392 Thanks
    bod1467
    • 22nd Sep 16, 9:37 AM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 9:37 AM
    Try living in the central belt in Scotland ... EVERYWHERE has roadworks; has done for the past (about) 2 years and will be ongoing until at least Spring 2017.
    Got a Parking Charge Notice (parking ticket - IT'S NOT A FINE!)? Go here for further info ...
    Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Motoring > Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking >
    ... and click on the NEWBIES sticky thread (4816822)
    Please do not PM me for help - I will not offer help via PM.
    • takman
    • By takman 22nd Sep 16, 9:49 AM
    • 1,303 Posts
    • 989 Thanks
    takman
    • 22nd Sep 16, 9:49 AM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 9:49 AM
    The ones on the M5 are over 10 miles long!. Just putting up the 10+ miles of barriers to allow the motorway to stay open is gonna take some time.

Then when consider they only have a limited amount of resources (people and equipment) I'm not surprised it takes so long.
    • wongataa
    • By wongataa 22nd Sep 16, 9:57 AM
    • 786 Posts
    • 418 Thanks
    wongataa
    • 22nd Sep 16, 9:57 AM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 9:57 AM
    Having just driven to Birmingham and back from Cornwall and also London recently.

Can anyone tell me why is takes so long to do the roadworks? I mean those managed motorway works on the M5 and M3 are taking years and years. Why does it take so long?
    Originally posted by N9eav
    Because it takes a longer time to do the work and keep the road open. There is a lot of works to carry out.
    • Iceweasel
    • By Iceweasel 22nd Sep 16, 10:01 AM
    • 3,961 Posts
    • 2,836 Thanks
    Iceweasel
    • 22nd Sep 16, 10:01 AM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 10:01 AM
    The ones on the M5 are over 10 miles long!. Just putting up the 10+ miles of barriers to allow the motorway to stay open is gonna take some time.

Then when consider they only have a limited amount of resources (people and equipment) I'm not surprised it takes so long.
    Originally posted by takman
    I swear those damned cones are breeding - I always said they were placed too close together. LOL

As for resources - there doesn't seem to be a shortage when it comes to nuclear weapons.

Perhaps the £350 million a week that we give to the EU could be used to correct our roads seeing as how it isn't going to be given to the NHS.

To those who think that roadworks aren't political - everything is political.
    • takman
    • By takman 22nd Sep 16, 11:48 AM
    • 1,303 Posts
    • 989 Thanks
    takman
    • 22nd Sep 16, 11:48 AM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 11:48 AM
    I swear those damned cones are breeding - I always said they were placed too close together. LOL

As for resources - there doesn't seem to be a shortage when it comes to nuclear weapons.

Perhaps the £350 million a week that we give to the EU could be used to correct our roads seeing as how it isn't going to be given to the NHS.

To those who think that roadworks aren't political - everything is political.
    Originally posted by Iceweasel
    That £350 million a week won't be available for at least 3 years when we leave the EU (but that's assuming the money won't be lost due to the uncertainty shrinking the economy).

But in reality let's say they can reduce the roadworks from 2 years to 1 year and it will cost twice as much. Can that be justified?. Yes they may cause an inconvenience by slowing everyone down to 50 but I don't think it's worth putting in more money!.

But once one set has finished they will soon start another so we will never get rid of them completely!.
    • dannyrst
    • By dannyrst 22nd Sep 16, 12:09 PM
    • 1,098 Posts
    • 508 Thanks
    dannyrst
    • 22nd Sep 16, 12:09 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 12:09 PM
    Managed motorways aren't a solution to our overcrowded roads, just think. You get to go 50mph for 4/5 years whilst they implement them, then sit at 40mph because of an invisible crash or a broken down vehicle that doesn't exist.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 22nd Sep 16, 12:33 PM
    • 11,232 Posts
    • 9,503 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 22nd Sep 16, 12:33 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 12:33 PM
    That £350 million a week won't be available for at least 3 years when we leave the EU (but that's assuming the money won't be lost due to the uncertainty shrinking the economy).
    Not that it ever existed in the first place, outside of several fevered imaginations - but that's a separate question...

Still, if only the government thought to make information available...
    Oh, hold on :- http://www.highways.gov.uk/roads/road-projects/m5-junctions-4a-to-6/
    • takman
    • By takman 22nd Sep 16, 12:46 PM
    • 1,303 Posts
    • 989 Thanks
    takman
    • 22nd Sep 16, 12:46 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 12:46 PM
    Managed motorways aren't a solution to our overcrowded roads, just think. You get to go 50mph for 4/5 years whilst they implement them, then sit at 40mph because of an invisible crash or a broken down vehicle that doesn't exist.
    Originally posted by dannyrst
    From my experience they work really well. Firstly they open up the hard shoulder to traffic at peak times so that alone increases the roads capacity by 33% on a three lane motorway

Secondly they manage the speed of traffic which stop people heading into traffic going too fast and then having to brake sharply. Just think how many times your in a queue of traffic on the motorway and then suddenly it starts to clear. This is usually caused by people braking sharply due to them going to fast into traffic the managed motorways help prevent this.

You then also have the safety aspect of them being able to close lanes and direct traffic around broken down cars or debris in the road.
    • facade
    • By facade 22nd Sep 16, 12:53 PM
    • 2,049 Posts
    • 1,072 Thanks
    facade
    I thought the purpose behind smart motorways is a few high profile deaths per year when people break down and stop on what was the hard shoulder and are immediately shunted by a 40 tonner will put most sane car drivers off going on them, and therefore they will have less traffic
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science )
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 22nd Sep 16, 1:56 PM
    • 5,078 Posts
    • 3,852 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    But in reality let's say they can reduce the roadworks from 2 years to 1 year and it will cost twice as much. Can that be justified?. Yes they may cause an inconvenience by slowing everyone down to 50 but I don't think it's worth putting in more money!.
    10 miles of roadworks being slowed from 70 to 50 will only cost a few minutes. When managed motorways are being used as four lanes they are restricted to 60 mph so you're only loosing 10 mph.

I had a very slow journey from Cornwall to Birmingham at the start of the summer. The delays were caused by the amount of traffic rather than the speed restrictions. I used to drive from Devon to Birmingham in the evening quite often. Even with speed restrictions due to roadworks it was a very easy drive with empty motorways.
    Too cool for school. Also too old for school.
    • facade
    • By facade 22nd Sep 16, 2:52 PM
    • 2,049 Posts
    • 1,072 Thanks
    facade
    I remember in The Olden Days I used to work the other side of Birmingham (This was when there used to be things called "factories" that actually made stuff, rather than logistics and warehousing for stuff from China)

I could either drive 33 miles along the M6/M42 which took 40 minutes from my house to work, or 25 miles straight through the centre of Birmingham (along something called "the A34" that used to go right through the centre) which took about 45 minutes but used a little less fuel.

Nowadays my commute is under the M6 that I used to fly along at 80, and I can see stationary traffic at 7:15, which was the same time I used to be driving.

Seems like there are lots more cars on the roads, but where do they go? There are hardly any factories left....
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science )
    • maninthestreet
    • By maninthestreet 22nd Sep 16, 4:04 PM
    • 14,823 Posts
    • 13,042 Thanks
    maninthestreet
    The M3 roardworks between junctions 2 and 4a are scheduled to be completed in June of next year.
    Just wait for five years worth of roadworks to convert the M4 to a smart motorway, from junctions 3 to 12 (32 miles!).
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
    • bigadaj
    • By bigadaj 22nd Sep 16, 8:39 PM
    • 7,383 Posts
    • 4,419 Thanks
    bigadaj
    Well if as a country you don't spend any money on roads and in fact most infrastructure for decades then unsurprisingly it takes longer and costs more to repair the infrastructure that has by now lasted longer than its original design life.
    • Paradigm
    • By Paradigm 22nd Sep 16, 9:18 PM
    • 3,259 Posts
    • 4,145 Thanks
    Paradigm
    Well if as a country you don't spend any money on roads and in fact most infrastructure for decades then unsurprisingly it takes longer and costs more to repair the infrastructure that has by now lasted longer than its original design life.
    Originally posted by bigadaj

We're not talking about infrastructure or repairs, it's this "managed motorway" thing.
    Anyone who's used the M6 near Birmingham will know that there have been roadworks from j10-j8 since God was a lad, what are they doing? Nothing has improved & the overhead gantry speed limit signs (backed up by speed cameras) seem to have a life of their own, displaying different limits at almost every gantry!

I use the M6 a lot for work & I don't see anything to justify all the work, the inconvenience or the money spent.
    Always try to be at least half the person your dog thinks you are!
    • bigadaj
    • By bigadaj 22nd Sep 16, 10:42 PM
    • 7,383 Posts
    • 4,419 Thanks
    bigadaj
    We're not talking about infrastructure or repairs, it's this "managed motorway" thing.
    Anyone who's used the M6 near Birmingham will know that there have been roadworks from j10-j8 since God was a lad, what are they doing? Nothing has improved & the overhead gantry speed limit signs (backed up by speed cameras) seem to have a life of their own, displaying different limits at almost every gantry!

I use the M6 a lot for work & I don't see anything to justify all the work, the inconvenience or the money spent.
    Originally posted by Paradigm
    We are exactly talking about infrastructure and repairs.

Managed motorways are a sticking plaster that allow at least a theoretical increase in capacity at relatively low cost.

Look at teh continual increase in population and vehicles in the road, pretty much no major motorways constructed for well over thirty years, the majority of the motorway network being well over 50 years old.

The railways are the same, well actually worse, that's a network that is now generally over 150 years old.

Let's use public spending to do something useful and productive with value, rather than an ever increasing benefits bill that just leads to dependency and demands for ever more.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,394Posts Today

6,737Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's twitter poll: What proportion of your usual monthly spending do you do in cash (ie not plastic, bank transfer, cheque etc)

• RT @GemmaRobyn: @MartinSLewis my parents earned +£50k but it didn't mean they could afford to help. I worked 2 jobs at uni to get by. Why b?

• RT @JackieMutlow: @MartinSLewis @GMB Daughters loans not enough we pay 2 months rent a year (2x £410) AND £250 a month for food, train etc?

• Follow Martin