Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Coffeekup
    • By Coffeekup 22nd Sep 16, 1:40 AM
    • 16Posts
    • 6Thanks
    Coffeekup
    Going forward.... 2-5 year plan.
    • 22nd Sep 16, 1:40 AM
    Going forward.... 2-5 year plan. 22nd Sep 16 at 1:40 AM
    Apologies this maybe a bit of a read but I'll try and keep it brief as possible I need help on a number to see if my plan is missing opportunities. I was also unsure of where to post this Mortgages/MFW/savings or pensions, so leaned here as it seemed more relevant. First a little about us.

I turned 40 a few weeks ago and until 4 years ago I was in a DMP. We since have saved a deposit for a house which is going through as we speak. We got it from the land lady and have a good deal. I have never paid into a pension due to lifestyle choices when I was younger.
    My partner is 33 in a couple of months, and has paid the bare minimum (around £10 a week) into a work pension (with Scottish widows which I know nothing about ATM, bond 2 is all I know) for around 4 years. We also ave an 8 year old daughter who is on the Autistic spectrum.

After paying off my debts the next main goal was easy, save a deposit for a house, rebuild my credit rating and try and get as much interest as possible. However 9 months later I was made redundant with £16,000 pay (Which I saw it coming as I wasn't focused on work, due to seeing a number of issues with our daughter). I hit a bit of a rut after this and worked out the redundancy would keep us going for 7-8 months (looking back I should have used this for a deposit for mortgage).
    Finding it hard to get work around my partners hours I did voluntary work for 5 months which turned into a zero hour contract. Great at first, but as time went on work was too irregular, 4 days some weeks and then nothing for a week or two. Struggling with incoming, I found out we could claim tax credits, DLA and carer's allowance. Things got back on track and started saving again. Since then I have secured a job (contracted 12 hours) which gives me 12-20 hours a week and works around my partner's work and around the little one's schooling etc.

I need help with Savings/pensions/Mortgage over payments moving forward for us. I want/need to minimize my financial choices/blunders (as I'm the one that plans/pushes for our financial security/future). As an avid forum reader/poster over the years, coming from the debt free/savings and credit rating forums was easy. Now I'm over to the mortgage over paying/saving and pensions.

This my plan going forward, but I'm wondering if I'm over looking something.
    Total house hold income per year - £32k.
    Average Monthly to save - £800.
    Mortgage - £76,500 fixed for 2/y @ 3.25% over 25 years, with a LTV of 90%, 10% overpay allowed. This is the only debt we have (or will have). The house we got for £85K although it's worth £110k. I know its not the best deal on a mortgage but after my credit history I wasn't gonna pick and choose. Barclays gave me a £6k C.C. 2 years ago which I used to rebuild my credit rating, so figured these would be the most likely for a mortgage.
    We currently save per month as follows.....
    Acc 1. - £100 holiday's/holiday spending. Current balance (CB) - £0
    Acc 2. - £95 for Christmas and birthday's (CB) - £500
    Acc 3.- £60 breakdown's (boiler/TV/appliances etc) (CB) - £360
    Acc 4. - £500 savings (deposits/Emergency fund) (CB) after deposit fee's have gone £3,000 When mortgage starts I am planning in a 50/50 save/ mortgage over payment.
    Acc 5. - £60 for the little one. Which is not currently in a children's account, because I'm unsure if she will ever understand the value of money and having it locked up may be a down fall at a later date i.e. paying off mortgage early. I tell myself it makes sense because what I'm planning now is for her future and my piece of mind when I'm no longer around. Am I right?
    My thinking for the above is,I'm worried after 2 years if the rates will be up we could be paying more, which won't cripple us but that will eating into the current savings/mortgage over payments. Hence I wanna pay off as much as possible now, which will give us a better LTV rate if rates stay the same. Ideally 70% LTV or better.

Once everything is set up with the mortgage, I'm going to introduce my partner to nationwide for the £100 reward each promotion. Also get her the current account with the good % on saving. As for my accounts? I dunno because I been with Barclays years, D.D's are all there as will be the mortgage (Barclays/woolwich). Also only around a £1,000 a month goes into my account, and I'm unsure if I can be bothered to bounce around money every month to meet min req's, I can see my self balls'in it up 2 months before the terms and conditions end.

I would like/want my partner to pay more into a pension so I'm thinking £40 for a week until things have calmed down.

We get £1,000 cash back with this mortgage, which will be overpaid straight away on the mortgage. There was an other mortgage Barclays offered me fixed for 2 years @ 2.49% with no cashback which has left me wondering if I made the right choice now, but I haven't signed anything yet so wondering if I can change the offer if its better?

Opinions please?
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

788Posts Today

5,743Users online

Martin's Twitter