Good ISP for Customer Service and Technical Support

Options

Comments

• rhysadams
    Options
    Plusnet are excellent and their customer service is brilliant, now got 3 different accounts with them.
  • Haffiana
    Options
    Zen Internet. Expensive, but I run 3 businesses from home and literally cannot afford to pay less and run the risk of unresolved issues or down time.

Internet is also completely unthrottled and un 'shaped' or 'managed' (or whatever euphemism Plusnet et al use these days for slowing down your speeds when they feel like it) so all the other members of the household are happy!
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,221 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    RumRat wrote: »
    No problem.....However, if you change or stay with your ISP, change your email to something like GMail or GMX. It's never a good idea having your email with your ISP.
    Changing to either is fairly simple and they will pick up your existing email while you make the transition.

A second for RR suggestions, never have your mail with your ISP
    I use Gmail, cos it works for me.

I also have my own domain name and use that as my e mail some times
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • fleshandbone
    Options
    Virgin Media, never had a problem
  • onomatopoeia99
    Options
    I use A&A (aka AAISP) mentioned above and am happy to recommend them. Unlike many of the big names, they don't do bundle deals or football matches on the telly. You can keep your phone line with BT (mine is) if you want to make calls, as while A&A will take over the line if you want them to (£10/month line rental in that case) they won't provide a voice service on it, so it's internet only.

The quality of service, both in terms of the connection and the support has been consistently excellent,though the manager of their escalations department is probably filled with doom when he sees an email from me as I had a very long running fault with the line between my home and the cabinet, which caused the internet connection to drop for up to three minutes, but did not affect voice calls. The ISP kept going at BT until first the line from the pole to the cab, and then the dropwire from my house to the pole were all replaced. It took a dozen Openreach engineer visits (!) as the fault only appeared when it started raining, and also needed my line appearing on the front page of ISPreview thanks to the owner of the ISP blogging about the uselessness of BT wholesale's fault reporting system :rotfl: and threatening them with legal action before BT were embarrassed enough about their incompetence to address the problem. I know that people have been allowed to leave their contracts with the big ISPs early when they have had similar intermittent line faults, and the ISP has not been willing to argue with BT to get the line fixed so they've just said "too difficult for us, you can end the contract."

Only downside is they are not cheap, but you get what you pay for.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • mac.d
    mac.d Posts: 1,345 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just echoing what John Gray posted. If you are willing to pay a little more, either Zen and Andrews & Arnold are highly recommended.

I only ever left Zen because they couldn't fix what was basically congestion on a BT line. Now about to leave BT for the second time, and I only wish I could afford the fibre costs back with Zen.
  • Retired_at_55
    Options
    John_Gray wrote: »
    If you want a good ISP for customer service and technical support, you need to be prepared to pay for it, and look at both ends of the alphabet, for AAISP and Zen.

Here's a comparison webpage that you can play with!
    Compare the above two with BT and TalkTalk, for example...

It's a really helpful link, John Gray, thank you. AA comes out on top. Understandably it would cost quite a lot more than Plusnet. I'm glad to have access to this comparison and, once my contract with Plusnet expires, I'll be able to, now thanks to link, make a good informed choice - thank you.

Retired at 55
  • Retired_at_55
    Options
    RumRat wrote: »
    No problem.....However, if you change or stay with your ISP, change your email to something like GMail or GMX. It's never a good idea having your email with your ISP.
    Changing to either is fairly simple and they will pick up your existing email while you make the transition.

Thanks RumRat - in due course learning how to get a new email provider to collect email from current ISP's email address will be worthwhile - more to learn, thank you.

Retired at 55
  • Retired_at_55
    Retired_at_55 Posts: 332 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 22 September 2016 at 6:25PM
    Options
    rhysadams wrote: »
    Plusnet are excellent and their customer service is brilliant, now got 3 different accounts with them.

For a very long time I felt exactly the same as you about Plusnet, rhysadams. Unless things improve by the time my contract expires I'm afraid, with reluctance, I'll be leaving Plusnet. I really have, in the past, been happy to recommend Plusnet but not now.

Retired at 55
  • dealer_wins
    Options
    AAISP, simply the best by miles. Not cheap, but I dont want a cheap service.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure