Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Retired at 55
    • By Retired at 55 21st Sep 16, 11:55 PM
    • 104Posts
    • 15Thanks
    Retired at 55
    Good ISP for Customer Service and Technical Support
    • 21st Sep 16, 11:55 PM
    Good ISP for Customer Service and Technical Support 21st Sep 16 at 11:55 PM
    If this is not the right place to post this question could it be moved please? I tried 'Google' but most of the results seemed to focus mainly on cost

I admit this post may be a bit of a 'kneejerk' reaction - but it is a genuine question. I was with BT for Broadband and Telephone and because of poor technical support and difficulty accessing customer support I eventually moved to Plusnet.

For a number of years now I have been delighted with Plusnet prices, Customer Service and Technical Support. I have gladly referred a number of foks to Plusnet in the past.

Now I'm finding it increasingly difficult to access customer service and technical support with any ease. It was once much easier and was available '24 hours.' In my experience this is not the case any more. It seems to be much less easy to access these days, waiting times are much longer and, if I am honest, I am becoming a bit frustrated with it. (To be fair I have to say that, when I do get through, the Plusnet Technical Support people are very good.)

Although this is a (much appreciated) money saving site I wonder if anyone who, like me, not very good technically, can recommend an ISP (Broadband and Telephone - BT landline with UK base if possible) with demonstrably good customer service and technical support - even if a bit more expensive? Although I know economy is very important, being able to access a service is also important.

Again - this post may be a bit 'kneejerk' and I don't want to jump out of the pan into the fire. I'll be very pleased to have any of your views, experiences or comments, thank you.

Retired at 55
    Last edited by Retired at 55; 22-09-2016 at 12:05 AM.
Page 1
    • John Gray
    • By John Gray 22nd Sep 16, 8:12 AM
    • 4,722 Posts
    • 2,394 Thanks
    John Gray
    • 22nd Sep 16, 8:12 AM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 8:12 AM
    If you want a good ISP for customer service and technical support, you need to be prepared to pay for it, and look at both ends of the alphabet, for AAISP and Zen.

Here's a comparison webpage that you can play with!
    Compare the above two with BT and TalkTalk, for example...
    • RumRat
    • By RumRat 22nd Sep 16, 8:30 AM
    • 1,970 Posts
    • 971 Thanks
    RumRat
    • 22nd Sep 16, 8:30 AM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 8:30 AM
    Plusnet are owned by BT and people are moving to it more and more, but, this also means that they cannot continue to cope with the numbers calling CS in the way that they once could.
    This is the same with all providers. If they remain small and niche, which most don't want to, they will be fine. Once they grow you will find the same problems.
    Much better to find an ISP who you never have to phone because you don't have any problems with their equipment/service.
    How come you have so many problems that you are constantly having difficulties contacting Plusnet CS?
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
    • Retired at 55
    • By Retired at 55 22nd Sep 16, 8:42 AM
    • 104 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    Retired at 55
    • 22nd Sep 16, 8:42 AM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 8:42 AM
    If you want a good ISP for customer service and technical support, you need to be prepared to pay for it, and look at both ends of the alphabet, for AAISP and Zen.

Originally posted by John Gray
    Thanks very much for the link, John Gray. I' ll go through it when I have time to concentrate. I was so frayed yesterday and I appreciate your reply.

Retired at 55
    • Retired at 55
    • By Retired at 55 22nd Sep 16, 8:55 AM
    • 104 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    Retired at 55
    • 22nd Sep 16, 8:55 AM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 8:55 AM
    Plusnet are owned by BT and people are moving to it more and more, but, this also means that they cannot continue to cope with the numbers calling CS in the way that they once could.
    This is the same with all providers. If they remain small and niche, which most don't want to, they will be fine. Once they grow you will find the same problems.
    Much better to find an ISP who you never have to phone because you don't have any problems with their equipment/service.
    How come you have so many problems that you are constantly having difficulties contacting Plusnet CS?
    Originally posted by RumRat

Thanks RumRat. What you say makes sense. Over the past months I' ve ' phoned about a number of things after checking their forums and 'Google' etc. Yesterday an email was returned to me saying something like 'my Plusnet email did not exist. ' This has happened before. I. had many problems with wrong bills taking months (more than just a few times) to remedy. My frustration for now is that it is increasingly difficult to get through to them with any real ease - often having to give up. Because access was so much easier before I' m a bit disappointed.

John Gray has kindly given a helpful link and, once my present contract expires, I' ll have had time to think things over and make a ' less than kneejerk' decision.

Thank you again.

Retired at 55
    • Retired at 55
    • By Retired at 55 22nd Sep 16, 9:06 AM
    • 104 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    Retired at 55
    • 22nd Sep 16, 9:06 AM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 9:06 AM
    I posted twice in error , sorry. Seems to prove that I' m not good with technology - hopefully I have deleted the duplicated reply

Retired at 55
    Last edited by Retired at 55; 22-09-2016 at 6:13 PM.
    • Mr_Toad
    • By Mr_Toad 22nd Sep 16, 9:10 AM
    • 2,280 Posts
    • 3,554 Thanks
    Mr_Toad
    • 22nd Sep 16, 9:10 AM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 9:10 AM
    I. had many problems with wrong bills taking months (more than just a few times) to remedy.
    Originally posted by Retired at 55
    When it comes to incorrect bills there is no need to struggle to get through, the easiest way is to not pay and believe me they'll get in touch with you

A lot of people seem scared of this tactic but a company is entitled to what they are owed and no more. When they get in touch you tell them to bill you the correct amount and you'll be happy to pay but that you are not prepared to hand over your hard earned then spend time arguing about getting your money back.
    One by one the penguins are slowly stealing my sanity.
    • bod1467
    • By bod1467 22nd Sep 16, 9:15 AM
    • 14,775 Posts
    • 13,396 Thanks
    bod1467
    • 22nd Sep 16, 9:15 AM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 9:15 AM
    This approach might work with some companies, but don't rely on it being a foolproof method of resolution ... if you don't pay the bill presented (even under formal protest) then the company can quite lawfully place a default on your credit record until the bill is either paid or the issue is resolved.

A default could lead to issues getting other forms of credit.
    Got a Parking Charge Notice (parking ticket - IT'S NOT A FINE!)? Go here for further info ...
    Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Motoring > Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking >
    ... and click on the NEWBIES sticky thread (4816822)
    Please do not PM me for help - I will not offer help via PM.
    • Fightsback
    • By Fightsback 22nd Sep 16, 9:16 AM
    • 2,223 Posts
    • 1,241 Thanks
    Fightsback
    • 22nd Sep 16, 9:16 AM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 9:16 AM
    My frustration for now is that it is increasingly difficult to get through to them with any real ease - often having to give up. Because access was so much easier before I' m a bit disappointed.
    A situation not just confined to the ISP industry unfortunately, more a general attitude by corporations toward the consumer these days.

FWIW I've found BT business a lot better than BT consumer retail in their support but you pay through the nose for the privilege of a better SLA.
    Science isn't exact, it's only confidence within limits.
    • RumRat
    • By RumRat 22nd Sep 16, 9:20 AM
    • 1,970 Posts
    • 971 Thanks
    RumRat
    Thanks RumRat. What you say makes sense. Over the past months I' ve ' phoned about a number of things after checking their forums and 'Google' etc. Yesterday an email was returned to me saying something like 'my Plusnet email did not exist. ' This has happened before. I. had many problems with wrong bills taking months (more than just a few times) to remedy. My frustration for now is that it is increasingly difficult to get through to them with any real ease - often having to give up. Because access was so much easier before I' m a bit disappointed.

John Gray has kindly given a helpful link and, once my present contract expires, I' ll have had time to think things over and make a ' less than kneejerk' decision.

Thank you again.

Retired at 55
    No problem.....However, if you change or stay with your ISP, change your email to something like GMail or GMX. It's never a good idea having your email with your ISP.
    Changing to either is fairly simple and they will pick up your existing email while you make the transition.
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
    • Mr_Toad
    • By Mr_Toad 22nd Sep 16, 9:27 AM
    • 2,280 Posts
    • 3,554 Thanks
    Mr_Toad
    This approach might work with some companies, but don't rely on it being a foolproof method of resolution ... if you don't pay the bill presented (even under formal protest) then the company can quite lawfully place a default on your credit record until the bill is either paid or the issue is resolved.

A default could lead to issues getting other forms of credit.
    Originally posted by bod1467
    All perfectly true and for those people scared of the credit rating monster it maybe isn't for them but I've been doing this for decades and never had any problems of any description.

There's a big difference between can and do and every company I've ever had a problem with have always contacted me regarding the outstanding bill at which point you get to sort it out without having to wade though their telephone queues to do it.
    One by one the penguins are slowly stealing my sanity.
    • rhysadams
    • By rhysadams 22nd Sep 16, 9:34 AM
    • 126 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    rhysadams
    Plusnet are excellent and their customer service is brilliant, now got 3 different accounts with them.
    • Haffiana
    • By Haffiana 22nd Sep 16, 1:21 PM
    • 706 Posts
    • 751 Thanks
    Haffiana
    Zen Internet. Expensive, but I run 3 businesses from home and literally cannot afford to pay less and run the risk of unresolved issues or down time.

Internet is also completely unthrottled and un 'shaped' or 'managed' (or whatever euphemism Plusnet et al use these days for slowing down your speeds when they feel like it) so all the other members of the household are happy!
    • Farway
    • By Farway 22nd Sep 16, 2:00 PM
    • 4,847 Posts
    • 4,037 Thanks
    Farway
    No problem.....However, if you change or stay with your ISP, change your email to something like GMail or GMX. It's never a good idea having your email with your ISP.
    Changing to either is fairly simple and they will pick up your existing email while you make the transition.
    A second for RR suggestions, never have your mail with your ISP
    I use Gmail, cos it works for me.

I also have my own domain name and use that as my e mail some times
    • fleshandbone
    • By fleshandbone 22nd Sep 16, 2:31 PM
    • 238 Posts
    • 117 Thanks
    fleshandbone
    Virgin Media, never had a problem
    People that correct your spelling/grammar on forums and message boards are very uninteresting...bore off!
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 22nd Sep 16, 2:36 PM
    • 2,061 Posts
    • 4,234 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    I use A&A (aka AAISP) mentioned above and am happy to recommend them. Unlike many of the big names, they don't do bundle deals or football matches on the telly. You can keep your phone line with BT (mine is) if you want to make calls, as while A&A will take over the line if you want them to (£10/month line rental in that case) they won't provide a voice service on it, so it's internet only.

The quality of service, both in terms of the connection and the support has been consistently excellent,though the manager of their escalations department is probably filled with doom when he sees an email from me as I had a very long running fault with the line between my home and the cabinet, which caused the internet connection to drop for up to three minutes, but did not affect voice calls. The ISP kept going at BT until first the line from the pole to the cab, and then the dropwire from my house to the pole were all replaced. It took a dozen Openreach engineer visits (!) as the fault only appeared when it started raining, and also needed my line appearing on the front page of ISPreview thanks to the owner of the ISP blogging about the uselessness of BT wholesale's fault reporting system and threatening them with legal action before BT were embarrassed enough about their incompetence to address the problem. I know that people have been allowed to leave their contracts with the big ISPs early when they have had similar intermittent line faults, and the ISP has not been willing to argue with BT to get the line fixed so they've just said "too difficult for us, you can end the contract."

Only downside is they are not cheap, but you get what you pay for.
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek.
    Home is where my books are.
    • mac.d
    • By mac.d 22nd Sep 16, 2:45 PM
    • 247 Posts
    • 223 Thanks
    mac.d
    Just echoing what John Gray posted. If you are willing to pay a little more, either Zen and Andrews & Arnold are highly recommended.

I only ever left Zen because they couldn't fix what was basically congestion on a BT line. Now about to leave BT for the second time, and I only wish I could afford the fibre costs back with Zen.
    • Retired at 55
    • By Retired at 55 22nd Sep 16, 6:11 PM
    • 104 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    Retired at 55

Originally posted by John Gray
    It's a really helpful link, John Gray, thank you. AA comes out on top. Understandably it would cost quite a lot more than Plusnet. I'm glad to have access to this comparison and, once my contract with Plusnet expires, I'll be able to, now thanks to link, make a good informed choice - thank you.

Retired at 55
    • Retired at 55
    • By Retired at 55 22nd Sep 16, 6:16 PM
    • 104 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    Retired at 55
    Thanks RumRat - in due course learning how to get a new email provider to collect email from current ISP's email address will be worthwhile - more to learn, thank you.

Retired at 55
    • Retired at 55
    • By Retired at 55 22nd Sep 16, 6:19 PM
    • 104 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    Retired at 55
    Plusnet are excellent and their customer service is brilliant, now got 3 different accounts with them.
    Originally posted by rhysadams
    For a very long time I felt exactly the same as you about Plusnet, rhysadams. Unless things improve by the time my contract expires I'm afraid, with reluctance, I'll be leaving Plusnet. I really have, in the past, been happy to recommend Plusnet but not now.

Retired at 55
    Last edited by Retired at 55; 22-09-2016 at 6:25 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,898Posts Today

5,752Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Don't tell me what I should be offended at! How ridiculous. I found the trivialisation of mental health offensive a? https://t.co/yTgO4pUFzT

• Deeply offensive comment from audience member on question time. Trivialising mental health conditions to make a political point. #bbcqt

• Today's twitter poll: What proportion of your usual monthly spending do you do in cash (ie not plastic, bank transfer, cheque etc)

• Follow Martin