Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ed67812
    • By ed67812 21st Sep 16, 10:42 PM
    • 112Posts
    • 43Thanks
    ed67812
    Asbestos
    • 21st Sep 16, 10:42 PM
    Asbestos 21st Sep 16 at 10:42 PM
    All being well, we're buying a house built in the 60s. It was extended slightly to the front around the 90s and then a bigger rear extension in the past decade.

We had a full survey which stated that there would possibly be asbestos in the soffits (no issue if they are not cut, drilled, sawn etc.) and didn't say anything else reference asbestos. However, the small print in the survey includes a statement that assumptions are made that non-toxic material has been used, and that the survey does not actively seek out asbestos related issues.

In all my research about house buying, there appears a strong chance that a house built then contains some asbestos in walls, flooring, ceilings etc. I've therefore commissioned an asbestos survey as I didn't want to be worrying every time I put a picture up, messed around in the loft etc.

Just wondering if I'm being OTT?
Page 1
    • Lily-Rose
    • By Lily-Rose 21st Sep 16, 10:49 PM
    • 1,940 Posts
    • 6,239 Thanks
    Lily-Rose
    • 21st Sep 16, 10:49 PM
    • 21st Sep 16, 10:49 PM
    I wouldn't worry. As long as the part of the house containing the asbestos is not smashed open, you'll be OK. It's long term continual use of asbestos that's a problem, not having it in your soffits or walls or under your concrete floor.

They are just covering their own backs, by advising you it's there.

Basically, any house (virtually,) built pre mid to late 1980s will have asbestos. It will do you no harm if it's kept inside the walls/soffits/floors etc... (And to be fair, it is almost always hidden away...)

And don't worry about putting up pictures or messing in the loft. This isn't going to unearth asbestos fibres. If that were the case, everyone who has ever lived in a home built pre 1990s would be in asbestos related trouble!

Our bungalow is late 60s, and we have it in quite a few places. None of it is exposed though.

It's often best to leave asbestos, as if it's disturbed, the fibres can lurk around for days, or even weeks, so it's more likely to cause you bother if you try to remove it.

It is usually in artex though. So if you have that on your walls or ceilings, either leave it, or get an asbestos expert to remove it. And advise you on when to return to the property.
    Last edited by Lily-Rose; 21-09-2016 at 10:54 PM.
    Proud to have lost over 3 stone (45 pounds,) in the past year! Now a size 14!

Proud to be debt free.

Slave to 2 mad cats.
    • ed67812
    • By ed67812 21st Sep 16, 11:04 PM
    • 112 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    ed67812
    • 21st Sep 16, 11:04 PM
    • 21st Sep 16, 11:04 PM
    Thanks.

There's no artex left (I assume it was there once upon a time as similar properties in the area still have it).

My main concern was it being in the walls when we come to remove a stud wall between kitchen and dining room, and also when putting up pictures and shelves etc.
    • Lily-Rose
    • By Lily-Rose 21st Sep 16, 11:20 PM
    • 1,940 Posts
    • 6,239 Thanks
    Lily-Rose
    • 21st Sep 16, 11:20 PM
    • 21st Sep 16, 11:20 PM
    Thanks.

There's no artex left (I assume it was there once upon a time as similar properties in the area still have it).

My main concern was it being in the walls when we come to remove a stud wall between kitchen and dining room, and also when putting up pictures and shelves etc.
    Originally posted by ed67812
    Oh right, well I guess you will have to thoroughly check the asbestos report, to see if asbestos is in the wall you intend to remove.

And if there is, consult an asbestos expert (google for one in your area, or ask your local council.) They will be able to advise you better, and tell you the precautions you need to take if there is asbestos in the wall.

As I said though, it's continual and prolonged use of asbestos over a number of years that has caused problems. A short amount of exposure whilst you knock down a wall isn't likely to do any harm.

Do check with the professionals though...
    Last edited by Lily-Rose; 21-09-2016 at 11:23 PM.
    Proud to have lost over 3 stone (45 pounds,) in the past year! Now a size 14!

Proud to be debt free.

Slave to 2 mad cats.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 22nd Sep 16, 9:11 AM
    • 20,163 Posts
    • 82,615 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 22nd Sep 16, 9:11 AM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 9:11 AM
    Thanks.
    Originally posted by ed67812
    Why would it be in the walls?

While asbestos might be in any part of an old house, it's fair to assume that if there's no artex-type coating on them, that stud walls are plasterboard and that there's only an outside chance of there being asbestos fibres in the material. (Used as sound-deadening, I believe.)

If you really want to be sure, you could have the plasterboard tested for about £30, but most people, including me, would just take the wall down carefully.
    'Opportunity is missed by most people, because it's usually dressed in overalls and looks like work.' Thomas Edison.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,966Posts Today

6,744Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's twitter poll: What proportion of your usual monthly spending do you do in cash (ie not plastic, bank transfer, cheque etc)

• RT @GemmaRobyn: @MartinSLewis my parents earned +£50k but it didn't mean they could afford to help. I worked 2 jobs at uni to get by. Why b?

• RT @JackieMutlow: @MartinSLewis @GMB Daughters loans not enough we pay 2 months rent a year (2x £410) AND £250 a month for food, train etc?

• Follow Martin