Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mark31
    • By Mark31 21st Sep 16, 10:24 PM
    • 21Posts
    • 12Thanks
    Mark31
    Dell and their warranties?
    • 21st Sep 16, 10:24 PM
    Dell and their warranties? 21st Sep 16 at 10:24 PM
    Hi everyone, I hope you are all well. I am after some expert advice here, so here goes!

I purchased a new gaming monitor on the 11th September 2016 and took delivery on the 13th. I noticed on the day of setting it up that it had an issue with the HDMI port, I researched it for a few days trying to find a simple fix and awaited some feedback on Dells forums. It seems to be a well know issue with earlier revisions of this model.

So 20th September I contacted Dell. I purchased the monitor from one of their resellers but if you have an issue it they tell you to contact Dell directly, it has a Dell service number etc.

First phonecall went well, they offered a replacement and arranged delivery. I found out a few hours later that they actually send out a refurbished monitor and not a new one, This is outrageous as my monitor is purchased new only 10 days prior.

I phoned them again to say I do not want a refurbished monitor as I purchased a new monitor in good faith and it wasn't cheap at 450+, it turns out for a new monitor to be sent they need authorisation and will get back to me in a couple of days. I have been told since that they will only offer a new monitor within 60 days of warranty. This should be fine as I bought the monitor 10 days before I phoned Dell...

Well according to Dell they start their warranty when they sell the monitor to a reseller, this was back in April, I bought the monitor 5 months later so in Dells eyes I am out of the initial 60 days by 3 months.

What are my rights here and how should I deal with it?
Page 1
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 21st Sep 16, 10:37 PM
    • 8,448 Posts
    • 9,484 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    • 21st Sep 16, 10:37 PM
    • 21st Sep 16, 10:37 PM
    As you are dealing with Dell and not with the person you purchased the monitor from, they are legally entitled to send you a refurbished unit if this is what the terms of their warranty state.

If you want a refund, you will have to contact the seller and inform them of the problem and state that you are rejecting the monitor under section 22 of the consumer rights act. (This is assuming that you made the purchase as a consumer and it wasn't a business purchase).
    Don't let them fob you off by saying that you must go through Dell.
    • Mark31
    • By Mark31 22nd Sep 16, 7:39 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    Mark31
    • 22nd Sep 16, 7:39 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 7:39 PM
    Thanks for that,

it's Debenhams Plus and they staet...

On rare occasions products may develop a fault. Our flexible no fuss policy for dealing with faulty goods is intended to ensure you get the fastest resolution possible and minimise the time you are without a working item.

All new goods we sell to UK consumers have at least 6 months warranty. If you live in another country the warranty usually has the same terms but you will need to check directly with the manufacturer's local service centre to confirm this.

Our policy for dealing with faulty items differs depending when the fault happens and applies only to goods sent to the UK and to the Channel Islands.

Faults Occurring Within 30 Days of Receipt: If any of our products develop a fault within the first 30 days we will be happy to help you resolve the issue. For repair or replace, if you purchased a large item it is much faster to call the manufacturer direct in the first instance who will arrange for a onsite visit from an engineer. To contact the manufacturer, click here for their contact details. If an engineer is unable to repair the goods they will provide a reference number and direct you back to us to arrange a replacement. To speed up the process please have the reference number to hand when you contact us. Your statutory rights may allow refunds in specific instances, please call us if you need advice. (Note: Items returned without a manufacturer reference will have to be inspected before being accepted. This may cause delays processing your faulty return and items returned where we can't find a fault will be returned to you for a small handling fee).

Faults Occurring Within 1 year: If you've had the product for up to 1 year and require a fault repair, your product will be repaired directly by the manufacturer or by us. If that's not possible we will give you a replacement, or if that's not possible, a refund.

Faults Occurring After 1 year but within manufacturer's warranty period: Please contact the manufacturer directly to arrange a repair. You can also contact us for further advice and suggestions as other repair options may be available.

Faults Occurring Outside Manufacturer's warranty period: As an additional service we are able to quote on repairs for some items such as Laptops and TVs. This does not affect your statutory rights. Please contact us by eMessage for more details.

Please note a handful of manufacturers include a warranty registration form in the box - don't forget to complete this and send it off within the specified time period. If you have purchased a Laptop or PC for commercial use (such as hotel or nursing home) please be aware that most manufacturers only provide a warranty for domestic use. Please refer to our Commercial Terms for more information

For many products you can extend your warranty and support cover for up to 5 years either at the time of order or within the period of the manufacturer's warranty. Please call our Sales team on 0871 984 1922 (Calls to this number cost 13p per minute plus your telephone company’s access charge) or send us an eMessage to enquire about warranty extensions.

These terms do not affect to your statutory rights.
    Should I still just ask for a refund from them and be done with the whole saga?
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 22nd Sep 16, 7:58 PM
    • 8,448 Posts
    • 9,484 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    • 22nd Sep 16, 7:58 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 7:58 PM
    Should I still just ask for a refund from them and be done with the whole saga?
    Originally posted by Mark31
    IMO, that would be your best bet.

Just make sure that you make them aware that you are rejecting the monitor and that you want a full refund and not a repair.
    • philatio
    • By philatio 23rd Sep 16, 11:41 AM
    • 589 Posts
    • 732 Thanks
    philatio
    • 23rd Sep 16, 11:41 AM
    • 23rd Sep 16, 11:41 AM
    Yep. Refund from Debenhams.

(although I've had a replacement monitor from Dell.. which was a refurb... and it was absolutely mint)
    • bris
    • By bris 23rd Sep 16, 1:19 PM
    • 5,992 Posts
    • 4,895 Thanks
    bris
    • 23rd Sep 16, 1:19 PM
    • 23rd Sep 16, 1:19 PM
    You wont get a refund as it's already been dealt with under warranty.
    Whether you agree or not you sent it away under the terms of the warranty and have a working resolution, you have no rights to a refund.
    • Mark31
    • By Mark31 23rd Sep 16, 1:46 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    Mark31
    • 23rd Sep 16, 1:46 PM
    • 23rd Sep 16, 1:46 PM
    You wont get a refund as it's already been dealt with under warranty.
    Whether you agree or not you sent it away under the terms of the warranty and have a working resolution, you have no rights to a refund.
    Originally posted by bris
    I still have the monitor, it's not gone anywhere.

I am awaiting Dell to get back to me to confirm if I can have a new monitor sent out or if I have to have a refurb. A refurb to me is unacceptable replacement for a monitor less than 2 weeks old which arrived with the fault out of the box.
    • fleshandbone
    • By fleshandbone 23rd Sep 16, 2:39 PM
    • 215 Posts
    • 114 Thanks
    fleshandbone
    • 23rd Sep 16, 2:39 PM
    • 23rd Sep 16, 2:39 PM
    Demand a full refund reject the second hand monitor (cheek!)
    People that correct your spelling/grammar on forums and message boards are very uninteresting...bore off!
    • Mark31
    • By Mark31 23rd Sep 16, 6:45 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    Mark31
    • 23rd Sep 16, 6:45 PM
    • 23rd Sep 16, 6:45 PM
    I've contacted Debenhams plus, someone will phone me back Monday and look to sort out something. Unless they can offer a replacement with a guaranteed A03 model revision I don't want a replacement as the same issue could exist.

I'll ask for a refund and source the monitor from somewhere who can suply the newer revision.

However my issue on this monitor is very specific to a HDMI and an xbox one set up, Debenhams plus state...

Faulty Goods - We will do our best to resolve your problem as a quick as possible. Most faults can be fixed remotely and we will always try this option first to avoid any 'No Fault Found' charges been applied. Please ensure you have provided full information of the fault. If you have additional information please send to us via our e-message system.
    I'm worried they will try a swift one and say it isn't faulty as the HDMI port does work with certain configurations.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,110Posts Today

5,986Users online

Martin's Twitter