Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lizkayeff
    • By lizkayeff 21st Sep 16, 10:23 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    lizkayeff
    Mortgage refused-help!
    • 21st Sep 16, 10:23 PM
    Mortgage refused-help! 21st Sep 16 at 10:23 PM
    Hubby and I have just started the house buying/mortgage process for the first time, we checked our credit rating before starting and that was excellent so we went ahead and put an offer on a property which was quickly accepted.

We submitted our mortgage application (and all seemed well) but then the mortgage company valued the property at £16,000 less than we had offered. At this point the sale collapsed. I called the mortgage company who advised their mortgage offer cannot be transferred to another property and as such we will have to start our application again (annoying but fair enough).

So we start again, find another property we like, go through the Agreement in Principle and fail at the credit check stage- the only thing I can think of is that as we've applied for credit recently it's raised a red flag (even though obviously we haven't actually borrowed). Does anyone have any advice? We're going to ring the mortgage company tomorrow but do we just have to take this hit and wait for our credit rating to recover?? If so, anyone have an idea of how long it will take to get back to pre-mortgage application levels? We have been on best behaviour financially in all other respects.
Page 1
    • Westminster
    • By Westminster 22nd Sep 16, 7:43 AM
    • 439 Posts
    • 282 Thanks
    Westminster
    • 22nd Sep 16, 7:43 AM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 7:43 AM
    I'm a bit confused.

You state that the sale fell through due to the valuation but then go on to wonder if your next mortgage application will be rejected due to credit check?

Presumably if you reached valuation stage then you already had a decision in principle?
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 22nd Sep 16, 8:17 AM
    • 2,136 Posts
    • 1,336 Thanks
    csgohan4
    • 22nd Sep 16, 8:17 AM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 8:17 AM
    did you go to the upper end of your budget???
    • Mrsrjo
    • By Mrsrjo 22nd Sep 16, 8:45 AM
    • 24 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Mrsrjo
    • 22nd Sep 16, 8:45 AM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 8:45 AM
    You didn't need to do the DIP again. Speak to the mortgage provider, they can probably turn it around for you with an underwriter decision.
    • kingstreet
    • By kingstreet 22nd Sep 16, 8:57 AM
    • 29,625 Posts
    • 15,711 Thanks
    kingstreet
    • 22nd Sep 16, 8:57 AM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 8:57 AM
    You didn't need to do the DIP again. Speak to the mortgage provider, they can probably turn it around for you with an underwriter decision.
    Originally posted by Mrsrjo
    I'm presuming this is Nationwide as it's the largest lender which insists on a new application for a change of property.

The decision in principle is section one of the full application, so it's unavoidable.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
    • David White
    • By David White 22nd Sep 16, 9:05 AM
    • 608 Posts
    • 246 Thanks
    David White
    • 22nd Sep 16, 9:05 AM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 9:05 AM
    Have you checked your credit reports to make sure you've not been late on a payment or something in the past month?

I'd suggest double checking as mistakes happen.
    I am a Mortgage Broker
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it.
    This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser code of conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,263Posts Today

6,642Users online

Martin's Twitter