Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • northampton_lady
    • By northampton_lady 21st Sep 16, 10:15 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    northampton_lady
    My Son's Warrant of Conrol at MY property
    • 21st Sep 16, 10:15 PM
    My Son's Warrant of Conrol at MY property 21st Sep 16 at 10:15 PM
    Hello All,

I am extremely worried and hope someone can offer me some advise.

My son hasn't lived at this address for over 3 years now, but he still gets the occasional letter in the post. He told me he was expecting a letter and to look out for it, so I opened one up earlier today and it was a Warrant of Control, issued by the local court.

It says that Bailiffs may come to the property from September 28th to seize goods.

Absolutely nothing belonging to my son is in this house. Everything is owned by me and my husband. We do not have any debt and we have nothing to do with my sons debts.

What do I do? What will happen if/when the bailiffs come to this property?

Scared is an understatement.

Please help!

Northampton_lady
Page 1
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 21st Sep 16, 10:37 PM
    • 7,547 Posts
    • 7,482 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 21st Sep 16, 10:37 PM
    • 21st Sep 16, 10:37 PM
    Any idea what the debt is for ?

Bayliffs should actually be very easy to deal with in this situation, you are not the debtor, do not let them in, keeps doors locked.

They cannot force entry, I suggest you deal with this in writing only, inform them the debtor does not live at your address, and i would seriously concider giving them his new address, as he seems to think it's perfectly acceptable for his monther to deal with this mess for him.

For free debt advice please call National Debtline on
    0808 808 4000
    Monday to Friday
    9am to 9pm
    Saturday 9.30am to 1pm
    • northampton_lady
    • By northampton_lady 21st Sep 16, 10:43 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    northampton_lady
    • 21st Sep 16, 10:43 PM
    • 21st Sep 16, 10:43 PM
    Hello,

I am not sure what the debt is for, but it is a company called "Hoist Portfolio Holding 2 Limited", who I assume have taken over the debt. It is in the region of £3000. If I had to have a stab in the dark, I would say it is related to an old credit card he had.

So you think I should write to these people and explain the situation?

Thanks,

Northampton_lady
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 21st Sep 16, 10:54 PM
    • 7,547 Posts
    • 7,482 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 21st Sep 16, 10:54 PM
    • 21st Sep 16, 10:54 PM
    So it's a consumer credit debt then, sounds like it's been to court, your son has had a county court judgement awarded against him, and it looks as though he hasn't been paying it !!!

Hoist portfolio are a debt collection agency, and are attempting to enforce the CCJ against your son.

Using a bailif is just one option open to them, your son could end up with a much bigger debt if he dosent deal with this matter himself, the problem you will have, if you allow the bailiff entry, is that they will be able to take goods from the property as it will be named in the warrant of execution, you would have to provide recites for anything of value, to prove it wasn't his, so to avoid that happening, just don't let them in.

There is nothing they can do if you refuse them entry.

So yes, send a letter stating the facts to them, you should only deal in writing with these people.
    Last edited by sourcrates; 21-09-2016 at 10:56 PM.

0808 808 4000
    Monday to Friday
    9am to 9pm
    Saturday 9.30am to 1pm
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 21st Sep 16, 11:14 PM
    • 7,547 Posts
    • 7,482 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 21st Sep 16, 11:14 PM
    • 21st Sep 16, 11:14 PM
    Also the wording in these letters is pretty ambiguous, notice it says "bailliffs MAY come to the property", dosent say they WILL come to the property.

There's a big difference.

The letters are specifically worded that way to get the debtor to contact them as soon as possible by making threats.

0808 808 4000
    Monday to Friday
    9am to 9pm
    Saturday 9.30am to 1pm
    • Herbie21
    • By Herbie21 22nd Sep 16, 9:20 AM
    • 714 Posts
    • 904 Thanks
    Herbie21
    • 22nd Sep 16, 9:20 AM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 9:20 AM
    Hello All,

I am extremely worried and hope someone can offer me some advise.

My son hasn't lived at this address for over 3 years now, but he still gets the occasional letter in the post. He told me he was expecting a letter and to look out for it, so I opened one up earlier today and it was a Warrant of Control, issued by the local court.
    Originally posted by northampton_lady
    It seems from your above comment that your son was expecting this letter. Have you given him the letter? He needs to sort this matter out.

You have been correctly advised that County Court bailiffs enforcing an unpaid county court judgment may visit the property but can only gain entry into your property by invitation only. You have every right to refuse and in this case...the debt is not yours...and your son does not live at the property. Therefore, you should refuse entry and politely tell the bailiff that your son moved out three years ago.

PS: Is your son still on the electoral roll?

Bailiff Advice Online
    • chesky
    • By chesky 22nd Sep 16, 10:46 AM
    • 538 Posts
    • 676 Thanks
    chesky
    • 22nd Sep 16, 10:46 AM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 10:46 AM
    What does your son have to say about this?
  • National Debtline
    • 22nd Sep 16, 12:19 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 12:19 PM
    Hi

I suggest telling your son to give us a call for advice on dealing with this debt. He can actually apply to court to suspend the bailiff warrant and vary the judgement to affordable instalments relatively easily. Itís costs £50 on a court form N245, and would be free if he's on a low income or qualifying benefits.

If he has other debt issues we can look at the whole picture and advise on his options.

James
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

736Posts Today

5,888Users online

Martin's Twitter