Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pennyforthem
    • By pennyforthem 21st Sep 16, 9:51 PM
    • 74Posts
    • 72Thanks
    pennyforthem
    Trying to charge me £30 to leave out of contract !
    • 21st Sep 16, 9:51 PM
    Trying to charge me £30 to leave out of contract ! 21st Sep 16 at 9:51 PM
    I have finally had the last straw of plusnet overcharging me on my econamy package (Had the same usage rate since internet started not changed my usage BT my previous company used to ALWAYS tell me I was well within my usage limit and the overpayment just so hapens to ALWAYS be £12.99)
    Anyway so I tell them I am leaving can I have my code. They say there is no code but there is a charge for £30 to leave ! NEVER at any point ever had to pay anyone to leave a internet company before, I have been with them for years well out of my contract.
    I have had nothing but apoaling service from them we are talking getting fed up with a page loading going downstairs making a cup of tea coming back upstairs AND THE SAME PAGE IS STILL LOADING ! Dial up used to be quicker !I have not even had internet at all for 2 days !
    Do I actually have to pay £30 to leave this ?
Page 1
    • boatman
    • By boatman 21st Sep 16, 10:16 PM
    • 2,663 Posts
    • 1,771 Thanks
    boatman
    • 21st Sep 16, 10:16 PM
    • 21st Sep 16, 10:16 PM
    Yes. But if you join BT you won't pay it.

https://www.plus.net/help/my-account/charges-for-removing-broadband/

Great deal to join sky at the moment though, see the main part of mse
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/cheap-broadband
    Last edited by boatman; 21-09-2016 at 10:21 PM. Reason: kk
    • TadleyBaggie
    • By TadleyBaggie 21st Sep 16, 10:19 PM
    • 1,840 Posts
    • 1,285 Thanks
    TadleyBaggie
    • 21st Sep 16, 10:19 PM
    • 21st Sep 16, 10:19 PM
    It's the standard Openreach charge for a broadband disconnection, if you were to simply transfer to another ISP there would be no charge to pay (by you).
    • pennyforthem
    • By pennyforthem 21st Sep 16, 10:25 PM
    • 74 Posts
    • 72 Thanks
    pennyforthem
    • 21st Sep 16, 10:25 PM
    • 21st Sep 16, 10:25 PM
    Yes. But if you join BT you won't pay it.

https://www.plus.net/help/my-account/charges-for-removing-broadband/

Great deal to join sky at the moment though, see the main part of mse
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/cheap-broadband
    Originally posted by boatman
    Not going with BT same company and have been overcharging us on landline calls. Going to try sky
    • pennyforthem
    • By pennyforthem 21st Sep 16, 10:28 PM
    • 74 Posts
    • 72 Thanks
    pennyforthem
    • 21st Sep 16, 10:28 PM
    • 21st Sep 16, 10:28 PM
    It's the standard Openreach charge for a broadband disconnection, if you were to simply transfer to another ISP there would be no charge to pay (by you).
    Originally posted by TadleyBaggie
    Thank you ! I have always got a code which I asked for and changed. They said no code but there is a charge of £30 no explanation of transfer would mean no charge, just about sums them up.
    • boatman
    • By boatman 21st Sep 16, 11:16 PM
    • 2,663 Posts
    • 1,771 Thanks
    boatman
    • 21st Sep 16, 11:16 PM
    • 21st Sep 16, 11:16 PM
    http://www.sky.com/shop/offers/broadbandswitchers/v1/
    If you are moving to sky this may be useful.
    • pennyforthem
    • By pennyforthem 22nd Sep 16, 2:52 AM
    • 74 Posts
    • 72 Thanks
    pennyforthem
    • 22nd Sep 16, 2:52 AM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 2:52 AM
    http://www.sky.com/shop/offers/broadbandswitchers/v1/
    If you are moving to sky this may be useful.
    Originally posted by boatman
    Thank you but I dont think it applies to me as my contract ended along time ago. I asked for the transfer code to go with another company as I was not happy with how they handled things she said they dont do that any more theres just a £30 charge ! This is compleatly incorect information (thanks to the previous people who replied) so now I need to find out if because she gave me an end date and has sent me an email charging me £30 (yes I refused to give a company that has repeatedly overcharged me for internet my card shocker) They have blatantly done this on purpose just a shame it does not surprise me.
    • iniltous
    • By iniltous 22nd Sep 16, 9:58 AM
    • 1,070 Posts
    • 347 Thanks
    iniltous
    • 22nd Sep 16, 9:58 AM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 9:58 AM
    These days you don't need to ( and probably shouldn't ) call the provider you are leaving...if you are migrating from one provider to another ( providing they both use Openreach network) it's a gaining provider led system, in other words, you pick the company you want to use, contact them, and they do everything else...they in effect arrange the transfer, if you call the company you are leaving, it's not that unreasonable for them to think you are not migrating, but ceasing your broadband service completely , and for that there is a charge, because you don't call them if you are transferring away from them
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 22nd Sep 16, 11:42 AM
    • 3,888 Posts
    • 1,512 Thanks
    brewerdave
    • 22nd Sep 16, 11:42 AM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 11:42 AM
    These days you don't need to ( and probably shouldn't ) call the provider you are leaving...if you are migrating from one provider to another ( providing they both use Openreach network) it's a gaining provider led system, in other words, you pick the company you want to use, contact them, and they do everything else...they in effect arrange the transfer, if you call the company you are leaving, it's not that unreasonable for them to think you are not migrating, but ceasing your broadband service completely , and for that there is a charge, because you don't call them if you are transferring away from them
    Originally posted by iniltous
    ...but PN would still raise the £30 cease fee as they treat a move to an LLU supplier (TalkTalk or Sky) as a cancellation
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 22nd Sep 16, 2:52 PM
    • 5,137 Posts
    • 3,120 Thanks
    teddysmum
    ...but PN would still raise the £30 cease fee as they treat a move to an LLU supplier (TalkTalk or Sky) as a cancellation
    Originally posted by brewerdave

But the new provider will absorb this cost for you ?

Perhaps the charge is mentioned as the OP only asked to leave , without having a transfer arranged.

Also, you no longer need a code and should, as has been mentioned, make your move via the new provider. (The one you leave will probably then contact you or if they don't you could call them to check that the process is going ahead.)
    Last edited by teddysmum; 23-09-2016 at 9:38 PM.
    • jeepjunkie
    • By jeepjunkie 22nd Sep 16, 3:35 PM
    • 1,240 Posts
    • 1,241 Thanks
    jeepjunkie
    Thank you ! I have always got a code which I asked for and changed. They said no code but there is a charge of £30 no explanation of transfer would mean no charge, just about sums them up.
    Originally posted by pennyforthem

No code anymore.

Annoying because requesting a code triggered retentions and a great deal.

Now this option has ceased necessitating a change of provider
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 23rd Sep 16, 11:40 AM
    • 3,888 Posts
    • 1,512 Thanks
    brewerdave
    But the new provider will absorb this cost for you ?
    Originally posted by teddysmum
    ...perhaps they will......if you get a helpful CSA
    • iniltous
    • By iniltous 23rd Sep 16, 6:19 PM
    • 1,070 Posts
    • 347 Thanks
    iniltous
    There is a procedure that allows WLR or LLU to LLU migrations that shouldn't trigger the 'cease' fee, and as the OP didn't need to speak to PN they should probably ignore ( for now) what they said....speaking to Sky the OP should ask if they are migrating the existing line or providing a 'new' line...if they say migratation, confirm with Sky that PN shouldn't raise a cease fee ( because no 'cease' is required ) if they say they are issuing a 'new line' order, then I would ask that they cover the cease charge PN will raise, as a new line for Sky will mean that PN will cease the PN line, and there is no need for Sky to provide a new line ( it may be easier for them than a migration, but creates an unnecessary cease charge ) when they should 'migrate' the existing service
    • parttimeskint
    • By parttimeskint 23rd Sep 16, 9:02 PM
    • 169 Posts
    • 72 Thanks
    parttimeskint
    If the OP has a cease date from plusnet and has cancelled with them and didn't just do it all through Sky he will also loose his telephone number.

Best thing to do is stop the cancellation with plusnet and then just arrange the transfer through Sky, porting the number to them. There will be no fee, minimal downtime, and he will keep his number. That's how the process is meant to work.

Absorbing the cost is irrelevant as the "cost" only applies to a line cease and not a transfer or number port.
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 24th Sep 16, 10:41 AM
    • 3,888 Posts
    • 1,512 Thanks
    brewerdave
    Sorry but I believe previous posts #13 and #14 are incorrect - from many posts on PN's own forum, Plusnet are now treating moves away to either TT or Sky LLU as a cease as they get charged by BTOpenreach for the work at the exchange.
    See https://www.plus.net/help/my-account/charges-for-removing-broadband/
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 24th Sep 16, 2:24 PM
    • 5,137 Posts
    • 3,120 Thanks
    teddysmum
    Sorry but I believe previous posts #13 and #14 are incorrect - from many posts on PN's own forum, Plusnet are now treating moves away to either TT or Sky LLU as a cease as they get charged by BTOpenreach for the work at the exchange.
    See https://www.plus.net/help/my-account/charges-for-removing-broadband/

That appears to explain the 'problem', so it is a case of hoping the new provider is willing to absorb.

This looks like a ploy to stop us using other ISPs' offers as a bargaining point, because we need to subtract the cease charge from the offer totals.
    • NeilB
    • By NeilB 26th Sep 16, 10:13 AM
    • 168 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    NeilB
    Does anyone know if this has this always been the case with PN or an addition to the T's & C's? As Im sure many who have been with PN for a few years may not have been made aware of this policy 'change', if it is indeed a change.
    • zx81
    • By zx81 26th Sep 16, 10:29 AM
    • 8,706 Posts
    • 8,536 Thanks
    zx81
    Does anyone know if this has this always been the case with PN or an addition to the T's & C's? As Im sure many who have been with PN for a few years may not have been made aware of this policy 'change', if it is indeed a change.
    Originally posted by NeilB
    The change came in about 5 or 6 years ago. We were all made aware of it.
    • pennyforthem
    • By pennyforthem 26th Sep 16, 11:02 AM
    • 74 Posts
    • 72 Thanks
    pennyforthem
    The change came in about 5 or 6 years ago. We were all made aware of it.
    Originally posted by zx81
    This was one of my points with them I have never once in all the years I have been with them recieved one single notification that my contract has changed. I even said the only thing I can think is that my free usage between midnight and 8am no longer exists but she didnt say that it did not !
    Has the free usaged been taken away from the econamy package ?
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 27th Sep 16, 9:16 AM
    • 3,888 Posts
    • 1,512 Thanks
    brewerdave
    Not sure it was as long as 5 or 6 years ago -and I don't think I got any direct notification about the change either - however, PN have a habit of burying nasties in a "good news" type email about something totally different.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,898Posts Today

5,752Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • People keep telling me the man who said the offensive (in my view) comment on mental healt "gets worse" later in the show #bbcqt

• Don't tell me what I should be offended at! How ridiculous. I found the trivialisation of mental health offensive a? https://t.co/yTgO4pUFzT

• Deeply offensive comment from audience member on question time. Trivialising mental health conditions to make a political point. #bbcqt

• Follow Martin