Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Ozret
    • By Ozret 21st Sep 16, 8:45 PM
    • 32Posts
    • 2Thanks
    Ozret
    Purchasing a lease/freehold question
    • 21st Sep 16, 8:45 PM
    Purchasing a lease/freehold question 21st Sep 16 at 8:45 PM
    As per the title.

I'm thinking about purchasing a flat with @ 57 years lease. It'll be a long term (BTL) investment. Due to the short lease it's only open to cash buyers. There is a Freehold company that you can buy into which means you have a technical lease of 999 years, of which I already have an interest in due to owning a flat in the same development

I'm aware that you should wait for 2 years before approaching the Freeholder before purchasing a lease extention, although this can be waived (something that I'm keen to do)
    Given that I'd be buying into the Freehold company does the 2 year wait still apply?

I'm handing it over to the MSE masses for discussion, but clearly I'll be taking legal advice in the next few days.

TIA
Page 1
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 21st Sep 16, 9:06 PM
    • 3,537 Posts
    • 3,187 Thanks
    eddddy
    • 21st Sep 16, 9:06 PM
    • 21st Sep 16, 9:06 PM
    A leaseholder and freeholder can choose to agree to extend a lease at any time they like, on any terms they like.

(However, the law says that a leaseholder can extend a lease, even if the freeholder doesn't agree. But to start this process a leaseholder has to own the property for 2 years.)
    • Ozret
    • By Ozret 21st Sep 16, 9:15 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Ozret
    • 21st Sep 16, 9:15 PM
    • 21st Sep 16, 9:15 PM
    Thanks, thats clarified the matter a little bit.

Having researched the matter I'm a bit perplexed why there's the '2 year rule'

Any ideas?
    • G_M
    • By G_M 21st Sep 16, 10:07 PM
    • 35,984 Posts
    • 39,336 Thanks
    G_M
    • 21st Sep 16, 10:07 PM
    • 21st Sep 16, 10:07 PM
    Given that I'd be buying into the Freehold company does the 2 year wait still apply?
    Originally posted by Ozret
    The law is not dependant on who owns the freehold! So yes, the rule still applies.

Of course if the freeholder agrees to extend earlier than 2 years, at a price the leaseholder is happy with, then the 2 year law becomes irrelevant.

As a joint freeholder, you would have a say on this; how many other joint freeholders are there? Have other leases been extended? For free, or for a price?
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 21st Sep 16, 10:47 PM
    • 3,537 Posts
    • 3,187 Thanks
    eddddy
    • 21st Sep 16, 10:47 PM
    • 21st Sep 16, 10:47 PM
    Having researched the matter I'm a bit perplexed why there's the '2 year rule'

Any ideas?
    Originally posted by Ozret
    That's what parliament decided.

They also decided on the '21 year rule' (length of original lease) and '80 year rule' (Marriage Value threshold).

If you're interested, the '2 year rule' is specified in the Leasehold Reform, Housing and Urban Development Act 1993, Part 1 Chapter 2: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1993/28/part/I/chapter/II
    • Hoploz
    • By Hoploz 22nd Sep 16, 6:50 AM
    • 2,786 Posts
    • 2,491 Thanks
    Hoploz
    • 22nd Sep 16, 6:50 AM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 6:50 AM
    I was told by a lady seller that she would apply to extend the lease on a flat I was looking at. She hadn't owned the flat for 2 years (it was an investment buy) but she had owned and lived in another flat in the block for donkeys years so she had an existing relationship with the freeholder. Perhaps that would apply here?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,440Posts Today

6,560Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's twitter poll: What proportion of your usual monthly spending do you do in cash (ie not plastic, bank transfer, cheque etc)

• RT @GemmaRobyn: @MartinSLewis my parents earned +£50k but it didn't mean they could afford to help. I worked 2 jobs at uni to get by. Why b?

• RT @JackieMutlow: @MartinSLewis @GMB Daughters loans not enough we pay 2 months rent a year (2x £410) AND £250 a month for food, train etc?

• Follow Martin