Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Flack15
    • By Flack15 21st Sep 16, 8:31 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Flack15
    No bill from eon in 2 years ?
    • 21st Sep 16, 8:31 PM
    No bill from eon in 2 years ? 21st Sep 16 at 8:31 PM
    I have recently got a bill from eon for £900 which is a bill for two years. I moved into a new block of flats which I have never received a single letter since day I moved in now they send me two years bill on one go. Apparently my details have only just been put on the system ! Has anyone had this or got any advice please ? Thanks.
Page 1
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 21st Sep 16, 11:26 PM
    • 25,768 Posts
    • 12,361 Thanks
    Cardew
    • 21st Sep 16, 11:26 PM
    • 21st Sep 16, 11:26 PM
    Welcome to the forum.

Are you are looking for advice on paying this bill in installments or escape payment?

Did you think that any gas/electricity supplied was free?

You may have heard of a voluntary code where suppliers will not back-bill for more than 12 months, where the company are at fault. The details are here:

http://www.energy-uk.org.uk/publication.html?task=file.download&id=5220

http://www.energy-uk.org.uk/customers/energy-industry-codes/code-of-practice-for-accurate-bills.html

The important part of that code is that the customer must take steps to obtain a bill.

Your responsibilities

You should pay for energy used and the back-billing principle is not intended as a means for avoiding payments. You will have to pay for all the energy you have used if you:
    • have been using the supply but have made no attempt to contact the supplier to make or arrange payment, including moving into a property and making no attempt to let a supplier know you are the new tenant;

3. You move into a new-build property in March 2013. You do not receive a bill until you contact your supplier in August 2014. You did not contact your supplier before August 2014.

No. The back-billing principles would not apply as you have not told the supplier that you have taken over responsibility for the premises from the builder or other organisation.
    As you have not contacted Eon it would appear that you are liable for the whole bill.
    • dogshome
    • By dogshome 22nd Sep 16, 8:42 AM
    • 2,599 Posts
    • 1,290 Thanks
    dogshome
    • 22nd Sep 16, 8:42 AM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 8:42 AM
    In recent days there have been two reports on this forum of Eon failing to bill in good time, each which was because of problems with Eon's systems.

Has the OP really made absolutely no effort to find their supplier.?
    Customers new to home ownership are unaware of their duty to find the supplier, nor do they know of the Gas & Elec Data Bases.

Eon however must be well aware of the date the Builders advised them the property was sold, and yet in 2 years have made no contact - I think it's little early to rush to judgement as to the OP's position on Back-Billing
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 22nd Sep 16, 9:07 AM
    • 25,768 Posts
    • 12,361 Thanks
    Cardew
    • 22nd Sep 16, 9:07 AM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 9:07 AM
    Eon however must be well aware of the date the Builders advised them the property was sold, and yet in 2 years have made no contact - I think it's little early to rush to judgement as to the OP's position on Back-Billing
    Originally posted by dogshome
    Similarly it is a little early to state Eon 'must be well aware of the date the Builders advised them the property was sold'. It is perfectly possible that the builders/developers hadn't informed Eon.

Also there have been cases on MSE where builders/developers continued to pay for gas/electricity in occupied properties until the whole development was finished, and then sorted matters out.

However it is quite clear for back-billing over 12 months to apply, the occupier must have taken steps to contact their supplier. The OP has made no mention of taking that action in his post. That is why I said 'it would appear' etc etc
  • E.ON Company Representative: Helena
    • 22nd Sep 16, 9:15 AM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 9:15 AM
    Good morning Flack15and welcome to the forum.

Already some good information on the thread so thank you very much.

To be able to give specific advice we'd need to know exactly what's happened and why the account is only just starting to bill, but I can give some general information to help for now.

When you purchase a new property, you'd normally receive some information about the suppliers/water etc.

The builder would send the energy company details of the sale, date etc, but this can be held up sometimes.

These accounts are looked after by account managers and that's who changes them in to customers names with their details.

We do rely on customers moving in to advise us of their details, I do understand this is hard if the builder didn't leave you any information.

Also, I notice you say new flats, crossed meters can sometimes be an issue in this sort of set up and may have added/caused the delay.

The billing code and the out come would depend on the account being investigated first, how many times you contacted us, what did we do to get the account set up, things like that, was it crossed meters, when did we get notification that the property had been sold etc.

Please let me know if I can help you further.

Thank you

Helena
    ďOfficial Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

66Posts Today

2,504Users online

Martin's Twitter