Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • purplegrape
    • By purplegrape 21st Sep 16, 8:29 PM
    • 203Posts
    • 458Thanks
    purplegrape
    What to grow now to eat over the winter?
    • 21st Sep 16, 8:29 PM
    What to grow now to eat over the winter? 21st Sep 16 at 8:29 PM
    Every winter I get sad that my veggie container garden basically becomes barren. I'm planting up garlic again for an early crop but I want to eat -something- from the garden over the winter!

Any ideas of what I might grow to keep my spirits up, and my belly a bit happier? I'm in the West Country so we mainly get miserable rain rather than any hope of snow.
Page 1
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 21st Sep 16, 9:02 PM
    • 5,531 Posts
    • 13,676 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    • 21st Sep 16, 9:02 PM
    • 21st Sep 16, 9:02 PM
    Read this?
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening/how-to-grow/top-10-vegetables-to-grow-over-winter/
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 22nd Sep 16, 8:43 AM
    • 20,179 Posts
    • 82,642 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 22nd Sep 16, 8:43 AM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 8:43 AM
    With general questions like this, better results are obtained just by Googling....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/basics/techniques/growfruitandveg_autumn_sowing1.shtml

West Country is obviously easier than some places, but it does mean pests are more active too if there is barely any frost.
    'Opportunity is missed by most people, because it's usually dressed in overalls and looks like work.' Thomas Edison.
    • purplegrape
    • By purplegrape 22nd Sep 16, 8:52 AM
    • 203 Posts
    • 458 Thanks
    purplegrape
    • 22nd Sep 16, 8:52 AM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 8:52 AM
    Thanks both. To be honest, when I searched all I could find was things to plant now for early spring harvests!
    • Oakdene
    • By Oakdene 22nd Sep 16, 8:54 AM
    • 369 Posts
    • 456 Thanks
    Oakdene
    • 22nd Sep 16, 8:54 AM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 8:54 AM
    Every winter I get sad that my veggie container garden basically becomes barren. I'm planting up garlic again for an early crop but I want to eat -something- from the garden over the winter!

Any ideas of what I might grow to keep my spirits up, and my belly a bit happier? I'm in the West Country so we mainly get miserable rain rather than any hope of snow.
    Originally posted by purplegrape
    Where the article above says 'plant the cloves' is it genuinely a bog standard clove you put in the ground?
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 22nd Sep 16, 9:35 AM
    • 20,179 Posts
    • 82,642 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 22nd Sep 16, 9:35 AM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 9:35 AM
    Where the article above says 'plant the cloves' is it genuinely a bog standard clove you put in the ground?
    Originally posted by Oakdene
    Only if you know it's a good variety for the UK, as many 'bog standard' ones will be more suited to the Mediterranean.

Or you take pot luck....and with onion eelworm as well, but I won't bore you with that!
    'Opportunity is missed by most people, because it's usually dressed in overalls and looks like work.' Thomas Edison.
    • Oakdene
    • By Oakdene 22nd Sep 16, 9:38 AM
    • 369 Posts
    • 456 Thanks
    Oakdene
    • 22nd Sep 16, 9:38 AM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 9:38 AM
    Only if you know it's a good variety for the UK, as many 'bog standard' ones will be more suited to the Mediterranean.

Or you take pot luck....and with onion eelworm as well, but I won't bore you with that!
    Originally posted by Davesnave
    Do you know which varieties are suited to the UK?
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 22nd Sep 16, 9:43 AM
    • 20,179 Posts
    • 82,642 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 22nd Sep 16, 9:43 AM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 9:43 AM
    Do you know which varieties are suited to the UK?
    Originally posted by Oakdene
    No, I don't keep that stuff in my head as an exhaustive list, but again, it's a Google:
    https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=677

Packaged garlic in garden centres etc should be OK.
    • Oakdene
    • By Oakdene 22nd Sep 16, 9:44 AM
    • 369 Posts
    • 456 Thanks
    Oakdene
    • 22nd Sep 16, 9:44 AM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 9:44 AM
    No, I don't keep that stuff in my head as an exhaustive list, but again, it's a Google:
    https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=677

Packaged garlic in garden centres etc should be OK.
    Originally posted by Davesnave
    Thanks! Will have a look, sorry not really done a lot of growing but I'm determined to make a start...
    • purplegrape
    • By purplegrape 22nd Sep 16, 12:28 PM
    • 203 Posts
    • 458 Thanks
    purplegrape
    I grew some garlic I bought from the isle of Wight to try a slightly different flavour. but I hear you can pop most garlic cloves in and get a bulb from it. It was really easy, and the garlic tasted so good!
    • -taff
    • By -taff 22nd Sep 16, 2:09 PM
    • 6,187 Posts
    • 3,358 Thanks
    -taff
    Garlic does well with good feeding.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 22nd Sep 16, 7:15 PM
    • 20,179 Posts
    • 82,642 Thanks
    Davesnave
    I grew some garlic I bought from the isle of Wight to try a slightly different flavour. but I hear you can pop most garlic cloves in and get a bulb from it. It was really easy, and the garlic tasted so good!
    Originally posted by purplegrape
    All the varieties with 'Wight' in their name should be fine, but some are better keepers (soft neck) so it's probably best to look them up before purchase. Also the IOW has milder weather than most of the UK.

I'm glad I looked at that list. The ones I had from a mate became victims of Chinese whispers. They were 'Germidour' but I heard "Thermidor! "
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

215Posts Today

1,121Users online

Martin's Twitter