Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • djdarby
    • By djdarby 21st Sep 16, 7:49 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    djdarby
    Falsley Accused Of Benefit Fraud
    • 21st Sep 16, 7:49 PM
    Falsley Accused Of Benefit Fraud 21st Sep 16 at 7:49 PM
    hello i have been fasley accused of benefit fraud i had a letter saying i needed to attend a complinance interview when i get there i sit down the interviewee said some one has made a benefit fraud claim against me so first point dwp lied on their letter. his my story i currently on dla and esa i used to dj before and i brough a dj program for my laptop and found out i can get y music on the internet for 5 pound a single so i thought okay so since march ive put four singles and one album out through tunecore who disitribute them on to online music streams so then i make facebook pages for dj darby to create aware ness and ican also sell my music and i have created an etsy site so its now september and i have made money form these snd thats what i told dwp i even showed them my tunecore account and etsy account to show them what i have not made so do i stand to make a compliant against them any thoughts
Page 2
    • Celifein
    • By Celifein 22nd Sep 16, 2:29 PM
    • 1,392 Posts
    • 4,897 Thanks
    Celifein
    OP - Ive easily found you on google (forumites its not the USA DJ ) Personally I would change your user name on here to protect your confidentiality.

Ive looked at the site. Its clear its not 'selling' as such, more like a platform as you describe, but its a little unclear and may have confused the DWP as to what its all about and any revenue streams that can be generated. Its a "modern" thing that some non techy peeps dont fully understand.

Anyway - good luck with the enterprise
    Originally posted by densol
    Isn't the purpose of Etsy to sell things? Or can you use it to give things away too?
    "Numbers don't lie, but humans using numbers lie all the time." (Welcome to Night Vale)
    • missbiggles1
    • By missbiggles1 22nd Sep 16, 2:35 PM
    • 14,842 Posts
    • 26,723 Thanks
    missbiggles1
    OP - Ive easily found you on google (forumites its not the USA DJ ) Personally I would change your user name on here to protect your confidentiality.

Ive looked at the site. Its clear its not 'selling' as such, more like a platform as you describe, but its a little unclear and may have confused the DWP as to what its all about and any revenue streams that can be generated. Its a "modern" thing that some non techy peeps dont fully understand.

Unless I'm looking at the wrong page, there's a "how to pay" section, which implies that it's the intent for money to change hands.
    • Bogalot
    • By Bogalot 22nd Sep 16, 3:13 PM
    • 173 Posts
    • 331 Thanks
    Bogalot
    This is where BHS went wrong. Their website, with prices and payment methods, wasn't for selling, it was just a "platform" for ... viewing of a non commercial nature?

Clearly far too technical for us non techy types.

(I've heard of some lame excuses, but seriously. Seriously!)
    • Celifein
    • By Celifein 22nd Sep 16, 4:11 PM
    • 1,392 Posts
    • 4,897 Thanks
    Celifein
    Look at it this way:

You've declared your permitted work to the DWP and kept them up to date with whatever income you're receiving from it. Someone has said you're committing benefit fraud. They had to investigate this allegation. Instead of just assuming you're guilty and stopping your benefits (like Concentrix has been doing), you were brought in for an interview, where you were given the opportunity to confirm that you're doing permitted work and the DWP is aware of it.

If you were to make a complaint, what would it be about? That they sent you a letter and you didn't understand that "compliance interview" meant "an interview where they checked to make sure you were complying with the rules of your benefits"? That they investigated an allegation of benefit fraud (which they have to do)? Unless they actually did something abusive or discriminatory, I'm not sure what the basis of your complaint would be.
    Last edited by Celifein; 22-09-2016 at 4:14 PM.
    "Numbers don't lie, but humans using numbers lie all the time." (Welcome to Night Vale)
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 22nd Sep 16, 4:52 PM
    • 3,464 Posts
    • 6,708 Thanks
    marliepanda
    Clearly not selling?

Using selling platforms? Having prices? Having the capacity to take payment? Saying 'trying to make money from my music'

Clearly I'm a 'non techy type' but that sounds like selling to me...
    Suvery Earnings 2016 - £188
    • missbiggles1
    • By missbiggles1 22nd Sep 16, 4:59 PM
    • 14,842 Posts
    • 26,723 Thanks
    missbiggles1

I think that should get an award for today's most patronising post.
    Last edited by missbiggles1; 22-09-2016 at 5:16 PM.
    • densol
    • By densol 22nd Sep 16, 5:47 PM
    • 1,100 Posts
    • 968 Thanks
    densol
    I think that should get an award for today's most patronising post.
    Originally posted by missbiggles1
    Lol - calm down everyone !!! Im clearly the non techy type
    Stuck on the carousel in Disneyland's Fantasyland

I now live under a bridge in Swansea Wales, with BTL in Bristol.
    Been a member for ten years.
    Retired in 2015 ( ill health ) Actuary for legal services.
    • bspm
    • By bspm 22nd Sep 16, 9:03 PM
    • 237 Posts
    • 284 Thanks
    bspm
    Dj Darby Muisc Online

im ******* ***** and i used ti dj for a living recently got back into as ive found a way of putyting it on itunes amazon and more for cheap price so im going to make a buisness out of it.i have an album and single out at the minute just type in Djdarby in to the search bars in the online music stores. thank you for your purchases already

It would seem you are selling music.....when were you called in for your fraud interview? before or after you stated that September sales would all go to charity?........

WELCOME To My Etsy Download Digital Store During The Month Of September All Proceeds Going To Unicef Uk So It Would Be Amazing To Do Some Good . Also Check My Work On Apple Music Spotify And More
    • micky2phones
    • By micky2phones 22nd Sep 16, 9:19 PM
    • 227 Posts
    • 197 Thanks
    micky2phones
    yes but the are aware and ive showed them what ie got and im not making any money from them so i dont see why its benefit fraud when im not making any money thank you f=for your comments
    Originally posted by djdarby
    If thats the case why worry ? If you have done this, they know ?

If they know they would not write to you ?
    • Ames
    • By Ames 22nd Sep 16, 9:37 PM
    • 15,210 Posts
    • 25,764 Thanks
    Ames
    OP, when you say it's permitted work do just mean that it fits the rules? Or that you got their permission to do it? Some people don't realise they need to speak to the DWP and get permission for it.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.

Recent reads: Everyday Sexism by Laura Bates. Headscarves and Hymens by Mona Eltahawy. Justice - What is the Right Thing To Do by Michael Sandel. Is Multiculturalism Bad For Women by Susan Moller Okin.
    • superbigal36
    • By superbigal36 23rd Sep 16, 12:54 PM
    • 578 Posts
    • 325 Thanks
    superbigal36
    Should apply for working tax credit
    • dippy3103
    • By dippy3103 23rd Sep 16, 7:51 PM
    • 1,440 Posts
    • 2,233 Thanks
    dippy3103
    Should apply for working tax credit
    Originally posted by superbigal36
    Only if enough hours a week..
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

119Posts Today

1,199Users online

Martin's Twitter