Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • djdarby
    • By djdarby 21st Sep 16, 7:49 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    djdarby
    Falsley Accused Of Benefit Fraud
    • 21st Sep 16, 7:49 PM
    Falsley Accused Of Benefit Fraud 21st Sep 16 at 7:49 PM
    hello i have been fasley accused of benefit fraud i had a letter saying i needed to attend a complinance interview when i get there i sit down the interviewee said some one has made a benefit fraud claim against me so first point dwp lied on their letter. his my story i currently on dla and esa i used to dj before and i brough a dj program for my laptop and found out i can get y music on the internet for 5 pound a single so i thought okay so since march ive put four singles and one album out through tunecore who disitribute them on to online music streams so then i make facebook pages for dj darby to create aware ness and ican also sell my music and i have created an etsy site so its now september and i have made money form these snd thats what i told dwp i even showed them my tunecore account and etsy account to show them what i have not made so do i stand to make a compliant against them any thoughts
Page 1
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 21st Sep 16, 8:13 PM
    • 3,464 Posts
    • 6,708 Thanks
    marliepanda
    • 21st Sep 16, 8:13 PM
    • 21st Sep 16, 8:13 PM
    Firstly I can't see where they 'lied' on the letter. They asked you to attend a compliance interview. Those deal with cases of fraud. What's the problem?

Did you declare your earnings to ESA as you made them?

Were those earnings allowed under 'permitted work'?

What do you want to complain about? I can't see anything that the DWP have done wrong.
    Suvery Earnings 2016 - £188
    • Bogalot
    • By Bogalot 21st Sep 16, 8:15 PM
    • 173 Posts
    • 331 Thanks
    Bogalot
    • 21st Sep 16, 8:15 PM
    A compliance interview is where benefit fraud reports are investigated. In what way did they lie to you?

im ******* ***** and i used ti dj for a living recently got back into as ive found a way of putyting it on itunes amazon and more for cheap price so im going to make a buisness out of it.i have an album and single out at the minute just type in ******* in to the search bars in the online music stores. thank you for your purchases already
    You claim to be running a business, you are selling in the expectation of making a profit. Even if doing this as permitted work you need to notify the DWP. Have you done so?

For what reason do you wish to complain? It doesn't appear to be the DWP that are in the wrong here.
    • ceecee1
    • By ceecee1 21st Sep 16, 8:15 PM
    • 342 Posts
    • 758 Thanks
    ceecee1
    What do you want to complain about ?

It sounds to me as if the correct action has been taken. Someone reported you for benefit fraud. All reports are looked at and if it is clear that a case would not result in a larger overpayment of benefit they are referred for a compliance interview.

You have admitted that you have done some 'work' as a DJ. That is probably the reason why someone reported you - it would have been reviewed by the Fraud department and passed to compliance to deal with.

Edit - and having looked at your Facebook page and the linked Etsy accounts - I would suggest that you declare this to the DWP and ask if it can be allowed as permitted work If you fail to do so you might be properly investigated the next time someone reports you
    Last edited by ceecee1; 21-09-2016 at 8:18 PM.
    • thorsoak
    • By thorsoak 21st Sep 16, 8:44 PM
    • 5,086 Posts
    • 23,020 Thanks
    thorsoak
    • 21st Sep 16, 8:44 PM
    • 21st Sep 16, 8:44 PM
    It would be easier to comment upon your post if you were to use punctuation.
    • maninthestreet
    • By maninthestreet 21st Sep 16, 8:57 PM
    • 14,823 Posts
    • 13,042 Thanks
    maninthestreet
    • 21st Sep 16, 8:57 PM
    Innit??? .....
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
    • Teahfc
    • By Teahfc 21st Sep 16, 8:57 PM
    • 1,249 Posts
    • 1,967 Thanks
    Teahfc
    It would be easier to comment upon your post if you were to use punctuation.
    Originally posted by thorsoak
    Not sure if English is the O/P first language ?
    Without being too harsh would help if some of these longer posts were pre typed on word and checked for spelling etc?
    "Man invented language to satisfy his deep need to complain."

''Money can't buy you happiness but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.''
    • djdarby
    • By djdarby 21st Sep 16, 9:27 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    djdarby
    • 21st Sep 16, 9:27 PM
    • 21st Sep 16, 9:27 PM
    so sorry for not spelling words correctly i cant be as perfect as you all are .i have not made a penny on my music and do not see the issue here my advisor told me to look for something for me to focus on which was the music so ive se this up for the future in case i do make money from it i hope my spelling is correct this time
    • djdarby
    • By djdarby 21st Sep 16, 9:29 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    djdarby
    • 21st Sep 16, 9:29 PM
    • 21st Sep 16, 9:29 PM
    yes dwp no about this and it is pemitted work under 16 hours a week which it is
    • Bogalot
    • By Bogalot 21st Sep 16, 10:08 PM
    • 173 Posts
    • 331 Thanks
    Bogalot
    yes dwp no about this and it is pemitted work under 16 hours a week which it is
    Originally posted by djdarby
    Yet you've not mentioned that key fact in your first post.

If they know you are doing this as permitted work then what are they querying, is it contrary to the reasons for your claim?
    • dippy3103
    • By dippy3103 21st Sep 16, 10:13 PM
    • 1,440 Posts
    • 2,233 Thanks
    dippy3103
    And they asked you to attend a compliance interview to check their records are correct. You have not been accused of fraud - if they seriously thought you were comitting fraud then you would be interviewed under caution by a fraud investigator.
    Why are you so up in arms about it?
    • Lily-Rose
    • By Lily-Rose 21st Sep 16, 10:23 PM
    • 1,940 Posts
    • 6,239 Thanks
    Lily-Rose
    The OP with punctuation... No offence OP, it's just to make it easier for people to read.

Hello. I have been falsey accused of benefit fraud. I had a letter saying I needed to attend a compliance interview, when I got there I sat down, and the interviewee said someone has made a benefit fraud claim against me.

So first point - dwp lied on their letter. Here's my story - I currently on dla and esa, I used to DJ before and I brought a DJ program for my laptop and found out I can get my music on the internet for 5 pound a single.

So I thought 'okay,' and since March I've put four singles and one album out through tunecore who distribute them on to online music streams.

So then I made facebook pages for DJ darby to create awareness and I can also sell my music, and I have created an etsy site. So its now September and I have made money from these, and that's what I told the dwp.

I even showed them my tunecore account and etsy account to show them what I have not made so do I stand to make a complaint against them. Any thoughts?
    My response would be... You have no reason to make a complaint. The DWP have done nothing wrong. They have received information that you have been selling your music/singles/albums etc, and want to know what money you have made. (If any.) The last part of your post (that I have bolded,) confused me... Have you made any money from your music or not? And what are you trying to 'raise awareness' about?

A girl I know got sanctioned for working 4 hours a week in a pub. She got £20 cash in hand for it. They still threw the book at her.
    Proud to have lost over 3 stone (45 pounds,) in the past year! Now a size 14!

Proud to be debt free.

Slave to 2 mad cats.
    • konark
    • By konark 21st Sep 16, 11:12 PM
    • 673 Posts
    • 509 Thanks
    konark
    And what are you trying to 'raise awareness' about?
    He was succesful in raising awareness. Now the DWP are aware of what he's doing.
    • djdarby
    • By djdarby 22nd Sep 16, 9:14 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    djdarby
    hmmmm
    yes but the are aware and ive showed them what ie got and im not making any money from them so i dont see why its benefit fraud when im not making any money thank you f=for your comments
    • FBaby
    • By FBaby 22nd Sep 16, 9:34 AM
    • 13,798 Posts
    • 35,446 Thanks
    FBaby
    But you've said in your first post that you had made some money?
    • NYM
    • By NYM 22nd Sep 16, 9:34 AM
    • 2,740 Posts
    • 4,649 Thanks
    NYM
    Maybe they think you've got 'hidden' accounts? Can your type of enterprise generally make money ?
    • densol
    • By densol 22nd Sep 16, 10:04 AM
    • 1,100 Posts
    • 968 Thanks
    densol
    Someone has obviously seen the Facebook page advertising your business and believes you are making far more money than declared. The DWP if given this information, and the Facebook page would be duty bound to investigate this. If its within the permitted work you have been allowed and you have not made loads of money, hopefully that will be the end of it
    Stuck on the carousel in Disneyland's Fantasyland

I now live under a bridge in Swansea Wales, with BTL in Bristol.
    Been a member for ten years.
    Retired in 2015 ( ill health ) Actuary for legal services.
    • dippy3103
    • By dippy3103 22nd Sep 16, 10:53 AM
    • 1,440 Posts
    • 2,233 Thanks
    dippy3103
    yes but the are aware and ive showed them what ie got and im not making any money from them so i dont see why its benefit fraud when im not making any money thank you f=for your comments
    You are being asked to confirm your entitlement to the money the tax payer gives you. Get over it.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 22nd Sep 16, 11:40 AM
    • 27,199 Posts
    • 17,264 Thanks
    DCFC79
    Make a complaint against whom djdarby ?

Someone told the DWP and they have investigated which they are entitled to do.

Maybe someone who knows your doing this DJ work and claim ESA made the anonymous complaint.
    Last edited by DCFC79; 22-09-2016 at 11:50 AM.
    Je Suis Charlie
    • densol
    • By densol 22nd Sep 16, 12:17 PM
    • 1,100 Posts
    • 968 Thanks
    densol
    OP - Ive easily found you on google (forumites its not the USA DJ ) Personally I would change your user name on here to protect your confidentiality.

Ive looked at the site. Its clear its not 'selling' as such, more like a platform as you describe, but its a little unclear and may have confused the DWP as to what its all about and any revenue streams that can be generated. Its a "modern" thing that some non techy peeps dont fully understand.

Anyway - good luck with the enterprise
    Stuck on the carousel in Disneyland's Fantasyland

I now live under a bridge in Swansea Wales, with BTL in Bristol.
    Been a member for ten years.
    Retired in 2015 ( ill health ) Actuary for legal services.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,433Posts Today

6,506Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's twitter poll: What proportion of your usual monthly spending do you do in cash (ie not plastic, bank transfer, cheque etc)

• RT @GemmaRobyn: @MartinSLewis my parents earned +£50k but it didn't mean they could afford to help. I worked 2 jobs at uni to get by. Why b?

• RT @JackieMutlow: @MartinSLewis @GMB Daughters loans not enough we pay 2 months rent a year (2x £410) AND £250 a month for food, train etc?

• Follow Martin