Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mp256
    • By Mp256 21st Sep 16, 7:28 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Mp256
    Faulty products
    • 21st Sep 16, 7:28 PM
    Faulty products 21st Sep 16 at 7:28 PM
    Hi

Can I have some advice will give a bit of background but won't mention the name of the company.

I ordered a wooden framed tent for my children along with a large floor cushion in April. It said when ordered delivery late July.

Anyway I received the tent on 26 August the day before went on holiday I got it out but didn't have time to assemble it. Upon my return I set it up the instructions were wrong but in worked it out and used tools provided. However you had to screw through a piece of wood into a screw holder to stabilise the tent. The first side I did started to split the wood the other side so could not even have the screw flush. The second side as I insert the screw the pre drilled and filled screw holder starts to unscrew itself so the other side cannot be tightened.

So I contacted them I can only do so via email. To report problem they said they would be in touch after a week I chased they came back with a new set of instructions which is responded to say I had assembled tent in this way however the issues were not of assembly but the screw insert and depth of the wood. They went back away.

Today I have referred to the terms and conditions regarding the product on the website. Which basically says they are not responsible for assembly and the tools provided must be used.

Well the tools provided were used I have gone back to advise and said I want refund or exchange. To be honest I want to send the lot back and forget it it was a birthday present but is now ruined.

Where do I stand if I get no where with this company it's nearly £200 worth of product.

Thanks
Page 1
    • daytona0
    • By daytona0 21st Sep 16, 8:38 PM
    • 1,633 Posts
    • 1,782 Thanks
    daytona0
    • 21st Sep 16, 8:38 PM
    • 21st Sep 16, 8:38 PM
    I don't know what you're saying is faulty, but it seems like you've just put it up incorrectly.

Particularly concerned when you mention a pre-drilled hole ("The second side as I insert the screw the pre drilled and filled screw holder...") but also mention "The second side as I insert the screw the pre drilled and filled screw holder"

- Forgive me for being a bit ignorant possibly, but that does suggest you've drilled through WOOD when there were pre-drilled holes to use?

No idea where you stand! If you followed the erroneous instructions to the letter then you've got a fairly strong case, because that's the companies' fault! If you haven't even followed them instructions (to a high degree), then it is your fault! You've improvised and made a hash of it.

And I think that's your bottom line here.
    ent.
    • Mp256
    • By Mp256 22nd Sep 16, 12:09 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Mp256
    • 22nd Sep 16, 12:09 AM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 12:09 AM
    Hi

Sorry it's difficult to explain without been able to show you visually.

Basically I have followed the instructions used the tools provided and the wood has split where the pre drilled holes and inserts are and I have not fully tightened the screws so it's not like I have been heavy handed.

So basically it's the quality of the product.

If they refuse to do anything where do I take it.

Thanks.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 22nd Sep 16, 1:00 AM
    • 16,824 Posts
    • 7,471 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 22nd Sep 16, 1:00 AM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 1:00 AM
    First you say the instructions were "wrong" and then you say that it's the quality you are complaining about. So which is it?

If you haven't followed the instructions to the letter and the wood has split as a result, then you have no right to a refund or replacement I'm afraid.

If you can show that you did follow the instructions or that following the instructions would have been impossible without compromising the integrity of the structure, you may have a case.

If you've simply decided to assemble it yourself without referring to the instructions I can't see you getting any further with this...
    • wealdroam
    • By wealdroam 22nd Sep 16, 1:32 AM
    • 17,126 Posts
    • 13,597 Thanks
    wealdroam
    • 22nd Sep 16, 1:32 AM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 1:32 AM
    If they refuse to do anything where do I take it.
    Originally posted by Mp256
    How did you pay?
    • Mp256
    • By Mp256 22nd Sep 16, 7:12 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Mp256
    • 22nd Sep 16, 7:12 AM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 7:12 AM
    The company have admitted the instructions were wrong have sent new ones which is how I set the product up anyway. What I am saying is the element of the product that has the issue is nothing to do with how it is assembled.

If you can imagine you put the screw through a piece of wood with a pre drilled hole this screw then screws into a round piece of metal that is already in the wood so all you do is get an Allen key and tighten the screw into said hole. However when I do that the metal that the screw goes into starts to wind out of the wood hence splitting the wood.
    • Mp256
    • By Mp256 22nd Sep 16, 7:13 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Mp256
    • 22nd Sep 16, 7:13 AM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 7:13 AM
    I paid with my debit card
    • daytona0
    • By daytona0 22nd Sep 16, 5:55 PM
    • 1,633 Posts
    • 1,782 Thanks
    daytona0
    • 22nd Sep 16, 5:55 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 5:55 PM
    The company have admitted the instructions were wrong have sent new ones which is how I set the product up anyway. What I am saying is the element of the product that has the issue is nothing to do with how it is assembled.

If you can imagine you put the screw through a piece of wood with a pre drilled hole this screw then screws into a round piece of metal that is already in the wood so all you do is get an Allen key and tighten the screw into said hole. However when I do that the metal that the screw goes into starts to wind out of the wood hence splitting the wood.
    Originally posted by Mp256
    Ah ok!

So, did you follow the "incorrect" instructions to the letter or did you deviate in any way?

Because if you followed it to the letter then you have quite a strong case. Go back to them and say that you assembled it according to instructions which were wrong, that you have evidence of this and it is their fault as you were provided with the wrong instructions.

Really not sure beyond that I'm afraid.
    ent.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,724Posts Today

6,392Users online

Martin's Twitter