Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • LizEstelle
    • By LizEstelle 21st Sep 16, 7:23 PM
    • 1,523Posts
    • 1,470Thanks
    LizEstelle
    New oven - recommendations?
    • 21st Sep 16, 7:23 PM
    New oven - recommendations? 21st Sep 16 at 7:23 PM
    I hope no-one minds me briefly repeating a thread here on Old Style which I've posted elsewhere - I suspect there are a fair number of cooks and baking addicts here who might be able to help me!

Has anyone bought an electric oven in the last three years or so which they are happy with? I would be particularly interested to hear from anyone who is a 'high use' person - an avid baker or suchlike - who can testify to reliability and ease of use.

I need a 'single' built-in oven for a tower unit but assume that these are broadly the same as below-worktop models.

Very grateful for any help.
Page 1
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 21st Sep 16, 8:36 PM
    • 2,821 Posts
    • 26,464 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    • 21st Sep 16, 8:36 PM
    • 21st Sep 16, 8:36 PM
    We bought 2 of the Neff hide and slide for our kitchen - they are very good, easy to clean, and the heat is even throughout - I cook/bake everyday sometimes multiple times a day - the door sliding out of the way is great, especially as I have them below, but can see it would be useful at eyeline too.
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

September GC 250/0.00
    • greyfox
    • By greyfox 21st Sep 16, 11:23 PM
    • 374 Posts
    • 2,271 Thanks
    greyfox
    • 21st Sep 16, 11:23 PM
    • 21st Sep 16, 11:23 PM
    Another vote for the Hide&Slide. Are you starting from scratch or replacing an existing single oven in a tower unit? If the latter, be aware that the H&S is slightly taller than other single ovens. It's only marginal (one or two cms from memory) , but I had to have my unit totally rebuilt when I replaced a pair of John Lewis single ovens with a pair of H&Ss!
    • LizEstelle
    • By LizEstelle 22nd Sep 16, 7:46 PM
    • 1,523 Posts
    • 1,470 Thanks
    LizEstelle
    • 22nd Sep 16, 7:46 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 7:46 PM
    I'm replacing an existing single oven in a tower unit.

I assume that the 600mm x 600mm opening will be adequate. This is surely a standard aperture.
    • greyfox
    • By greyfox 22nd Sep 16, 9:17 PM
    • 374 Posts
    • 2,271 Thanks
    greyfox
    • 22nd Sep 16, 9:17 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 9:17 PM
    That's what I thought, but it wasn't. The chaps who delivered the ovens, and who were supposed to have installed them, said they'd found the same problem several times before.

It really depends how much clearance there is around your existing oven but, of course, you don't really know that until it's been taken out as the dimensions of the front of ovens are standard; it's the dimensions of the body which slots into the unit which vary. (It didn't help that my "pair" are one above the other or that the Neff brochure spec was silent on the subject.) It was a pain at the time but worth it in the end as they really are lovely ovens.
    • The all new me
    • By The all new me 23rd Sep 16, 6:25 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    The all new me
    • 23rd Sep 16, 6:25 AM
    • 23rd Sep 16, 6:25 AM
    Bought a Miele H6560 last year and its been great.

You should be able to get a good discount if you shop around.
    • LizEstelle
    • By LizEstelle 23rd Sep 16, 4:37 PM
    • 1,523 Posts
    • 1,470 Thanks
    LizEstelle
    • 23rd Sep 16, 4:37 PM
    • 23rd Sep 16, 4:37 PM
    Thanks for the help, folks.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

288Posts Today

1,504Users online

Martin's Twitter