Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • roughsea
    • By roughsea 21st Sep 16, 7:04 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    roughsea
    Worried - HMRC Field Force
    • 21st Sep 16, 7:04 PM
    Worried - HMRC Field Force 21st Sep 16 at 7:04 PM
    Need some advice as just arrived home to find a hand delivered letter to say HMRC field agent has visited.

I have no way of paying this tax bill and can presume they will make me bankrupt.

I dont have any belongings apart from a sofa , tv , bed and wardrobe as i live in a 1 bedroom apartment and worried they might try to take what little i have to live with.

Do they have rights of entry and surely they wouldn't take my tv which in no way would come close to paying my tax bill.

Also is it worth making myself bankrupt as not sure how long HMRC will take and dont want to drag this out

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by roughsea; 21-09-2016 at 7:05 PM. Reason: x
Page 1
    • Muttipops
    • By Muttipops 21st Sep 16, 7:49 PM
    • 234 Posts
    • 216 Thanks
    Muttipops
    • 21st Sep 16, 7:49 PM
    • 21st Sep 16, 7:49 PM
    Hi, roughsea,
    How much do you owe and do you have any other debts?
    Do not leap at bankruptcy, we need to know a lot more info yet before we could advise on what is the best course of action for you.
    Have you tried to come to any settlement with HMRC?
    Lets start there and see who comes up with what, depending on your answers.
    Here is the govenment website detailing what will happen if you owe them tax..
    https://www.gov.uk/if-you-dont-pay-your-tax-bill/overview

I am afraid you are correct, they can take your property to sell, but please read the website so that you know what they can and cannot do.

And get back on here with the info requested above, becase with not enough details, it is hard to give the correct advice.
    • worriedmamma
    • By worriedmamma 21st Sep 16, 7:54 PM
    • 80 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    worriedmamma
    • 21st Sep 16, 7:54 PM
    • 21st Sep 16, 7:54 PM
    Hi, as Muttipops said above, there may be another way depending on your income and expenditure, housing situation(own/rent) etc. xx
    • roughsea
    • By roughsea 21st Sep 16, 8:04 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    roughsea
    • 21st Sep 16, 8:04 PM
    • 21st Sep 16, 8:04 PM
    Hi

Its a lot of money and dont want to go into amount owed but its no way repayable and i have settled on going bankrupt.

I do have other debts as well and they total over 30k plus HMRC big bill and way out of my reach of payment.

I do own the property and maybe 3000 profit in the house.

The TV and bed will come no way near to clear the debt and surely its a case of they would not bother and just go for bankruptcy.

Don't want to drag this out and could go online in the next few days and do it myself to save the hassle
    • Muttipops
    • By Muttipops 21st Sep 16, 8:55 PM
    • 234 Posts
    • 216 Thanks
    Muttipops
    • 21st Sep 16, 8:55 PM
    • 21st Sep 16, 8:55 PM
    Have you spoken to a debt charity such as National Debtline to get an overview of your debts and what you would do about them?
    Or have you at least looked into various solutions online yourself?

If you have an bankruptcy is your only option, then here is the IS guide... https://www.gov.uk/bankruptcy/overview

I am sure you know that it is not to be taken lightly as your house could be at risk. Your personal property under 500 each item is not worth them selling, so your bed and TV should be safe. Any car over about 1k is at risk of being sold, but I am jumping the gun here, just read the info and it will give you more idea.
    Also, this website is very useful...http://debtcamel.co.uk/taxes-bankruptcy/ not just that page, but the debt problems page too.
    You will need to pay 680 to apply for bankruptcy.
    I know that often we just want things over with asap, but some research tonight won't delay things too much or a Phone call to a charity tomorrow. I am BR and there ain't no going back!!!
    • roughsea
    • By roughsea 21st Sep 16, 9:23 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    roughsea
    • 21st Sep 16, 9:23 PM
    • 21st Sep 16, 9:23 PM
    Thanks Muttipops as thought long and hard on this and bankruptcy is my only way out of this and no way of paying this combined credit card and HMRC debt. To be honest i will be happy when its all over as I'm fully aware of the implications but to add it will be over in a year or so and can start getting on with life.

I do own my own property and no money in it and i believe if its less then 1000 a friend can offer to buy the benifcal interest. I have run up some large credit card bills and with HMRC on my back for the last few months i would rather go bankrupt than deal with the debt collectors and not field agents.

Im hoping bankruptcy was the right move for you and I'm sure it will be ok in the long run
    • Muttipops
    • By Muttipops 21st Sep 16, 9:40 PM
    • 234 Posts
    • 216 Thanks
    Muttipops
    • 21st Sep 16, 9:40 PM
    • 21st Sep 16, 9:40 PM
    Thanks, roughsea.
    I had a loooooooooooong journey to bankruptcy by way of DMP, attempt at full and final settlement by solicitor( I come from another EU country where things are done a bit differently to here, they don't quite pull your fingernails out, but nearly, for being in debt).
    I tried my hardest to avoid becoming bankrupt but it was not to be and you are correct it will be ok in the long run. I am now in a good job, pay my own way and once the bankruptcy is done, owe nothing. I am never taking out a loan or credit card ever again. I have nothing to show for 30 years of hard work, but I have my sanity and at long last, peace of mind.

So, back to you, you sound like you have a plan. Here is a link to the page about your property and the IS. https://www.insolvencydirect.bis.gov.uk/technicalmanual/Ch25-36/Chapter31/part3/part4/part_4.htm

We are a mine of info about the application process, so do ask if there is anything you get stuck on.

Good luck.
    • london1973
    • By london1973 22nd Sep 16, 11:58 AM
    • 57 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    london1973
    • 22nd Sep 16, 11:58 AM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 11:58 AM
    Hi, It seems like bankruptcy is your best option and I won't comment on that, but in regard to the field force agent I wouldn't worry about it too much-HMRC are about to make me bankrupt - in a matter of days, but prior to this I went through a period of field force agency visits, they were always pretty chilled and never tried to get into the property, they just left letters and asked when I was going to pay-I was polite but firm, and always said that there was nothing of meaningful value in the property that would interest them, especially given the size of the debt-

its just a process HMRC go through before they move on to the next stage, which will be a stat demand, my understanding is that the agents get paid principally by making visits not my recovering money-may be wrong but it kind of makes sense-it really felt like a box-ticking exercise to me,

they just stopped coming after a while and eventually I got a stat demand
    hope helps
    • roughsea
    • By roughsea 22nd Sep 16, 12:32 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    roughsea
    • 22nd Sep 16, 12:32 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 12:32 PM
    London 1973 - He called today and was very chilled and he fully understand that the debt was not recoverable and said he would pass it on.... How long did it all take from field visit to stat and bankruptcy as dont want it dragging on and if thats the case i will do it myself and get it over and done with
    • london1973
    • By london1973 22nd Sep 16, 12:38 PM
    • 57 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    london1973
    i got the the stat about a month after the last visit, didn't pay in the 21 day period, and they petitioned for the bankruptcy about a month after that, with a hearing date 8 weeks later

so my experience from you will be bankrupt in 3-4 months
    • roughsea
    • By roughsea 22nd Sep 16, 1:07 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    roughsea
    London - 1973 - ok thanks for the information and its a big help. To be honest I'm glad its kinda coming to an end and 3 - 4 months is ok to wait
    • Muttipops
    • By Muttipops 22nd Sep 16, 1:20 PM
    • 234 Posts
    • 216 Thanks
    Muttipops
    I think it feels like the guillotine waiting to fall, you are just glad when it's over, except for in this case you get to keep your head!

Also, it's a total anti-climax once it is over, no fanfare, dealing with professionals in the Insolvency Service who aren't out to get a pound of flesh, just approval of bankruptcy and now carry on with life.
    • Energize
    • By Energize 22nd Sep 16, 10:27 PM
    • 268 Posts
    • 70 Thanks
    Energize
    Need some advice as just arrived home to find a hand delivered letter to say HMRC field agent has visited.

I have no way of paying this tax bill and can presume they will make me bankrupt.

I dont have any belongings apart from a sofa , tv , bed and wardrobe as i live in a 1 bedroom apartment and worried they might try to take what little i have to live with.

Do they have rights of entry and surely they wouldn't take my tv which in no way would come close to paying my tax bill.

Also is it worth making myself bankrupt as not sure how long HMRC will take and dont want to drag this out

Thanks in advance
    Originally posted by roughsea
    Bailiffs cannot take property you need to live such as your bed. They can apply to the court for permission to force entry though.
    • tigerfeet2006
    • By tigerfeet2006 23rd Sep 16, 9:04 AM
    • 13,673 Posts
    • 29,760 Thanks
    tigerfeet2006
    Use the time to sort out bank accounts that you will need going forward and the paper work that the OR may need and just generally getting your ducks in a row before it all happens.
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    I now live in a country that is 4 hours ahead of the UK so you may now find I post at weird times
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,110Posts Today

5,986Users online

Martin's Twitter