Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Cliddy
    • By Cliddy 21st Sep 16, 6:12 PM
    • 149Posts
    • 14Thanks
    Cliddy
    App updates won't download
    • 21st Sep 16, 6:12 PM
    App updates won't download 21st Sep 16 at 6:12 PM
    I have an android 6 mobile phone. Recently apps have stopped downloading due to lack of space. Checking my resources I would agree as there is very little of the internal 5gb left. But I have an adopted 32gb SD card attached. Any ideas please ?
Page 1
    • Johno100
    • By Johno100 21st Sep 16, 6:51 PM
    • 2,270 Posts
    • 2,275 Thanks
    Johno100
    • 21st Sep 16, 6:51 PM
    • 21st Sep 16, 6:51 PM
    I'd start with some housekeeping. I use The Cleaner app to quickly clear cached data.

Some apps can be moved to and run from a SD memory card. You can do so from within android one at a time but I'd recommend using AppMgr III that gives you a graphical list of what apps you have that can be moved to your SD card.

And if you haven't already, move any media files you might have on the phone to the memory card.
    • kwikbreaks
    • By kwikbreaks 21st Sep 16, 6:58 PM
    • 8,211 Posts
    • 4,068 Thanks
    kwikbreaks
    • 21st Sep 16, 6:58 PM
    • 21st Sep 16, 6:58 PM
    Android isn't too good at using SD cards for apps. The SD card is fine for holding audio, video, and photos so if you have any of those in device storage use a file manager to move them to SD. Even if you move an app to the SD card it will still use some space in the main device storage. You'll probably need to uninstall some of your apps to get around this problem even if you do use a cleanup app as the sort of savings they make tend to be temporary - an emptied cache will refill etc.
    • Cliddy
    • By Cliddy 21st Sep 16, 7:06 PM
    • 149 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    Cliddy
    • 21st Sep 16, 7:06 PM
    • 21st Sep 16, 7:06 PM
    Many thanks for responses. Some how I'll cobble together making some space short term, including your ideas. But my main concern is why my adopted SD card isn't being used automatically.
    • Fightsback
    • By Fightsback 21st Sep 16, 7:12 PM
    • 2,223 Posts
    • 1,242 Thanks
    Fightsback
    • 21st Sep 16, 7:12 PM
    • 21st Sep 16, 7:12 PM
    You probably have lots in the internal device download folder and most likely have your camera set to save to the internal device as well.

If you have any songs on your phone make sure they are moved to the SD as well.

How have your formatted the SD card, for media use or internal use ?

There are plenty of guides to be found using Google to help you do these things.
    Last edited by Fightsback; 21-09-2016 at 7:28 PM. Reason: Pedant alert, spelling errors
    Science isn't exact, it's only confidence within limits.
    • Cliddy
    • By Cliddy 21st Sep 16, 7:18 PM
    • 149 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    Cliddy
    • 21st Sep 16, 7:18 PM
    • 21st Sep 16, 7:18 PM
    The SD card is formatted for internal use
    • Fightsback
    • By Fightsback 21st Sep 16, 7:27 PM
    • 2,223 Posts
    • 1,242 Thanks
    Fightsback
    • 21st Sep 16, 7:27 PM
    • 21st Sep 16, 7:27 PM
    The SD card is formatted for internal use
    Originally posted by Cliddy
    I'd suggest reading this discussion thread on using the SD card as internal storage and make your own mind up, personally I prefer to use as portable:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/3o6u80/psa_i_formatted_my_sd_card_as_internal_storage/
    Science isn't exact, it's only confidence within limits.
    • Cliddy
    • By Cliddy 21st Sep 16, 8:04 PM
    • 149 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    Cliddy
    • 21st Sep 16, 8:04 PM
    • 21st Sep 16, 8:04 PM
    I've had a quick look at your link thanks, but a bit too technical for me, rather use the phone than take it to pieces all day, as those guys appear to enjoy!
    Anyway, all a bit hyperthetical, mines already configured for internal use and appears not to be accepting apps automatically.
    Meanwhile I've tweaked a few things and enabled the updates for now. But really want to get benefit from the 32gb
    • kwikbreaks
    • By kwikbreaks 21st Sep 16, 9:15 PM
    • 8,211 Posts
    • 4,068 Thanks
    kwikbreaks
    • 21st Sep 16, 9:15 PM
    • 21st Sep 16, 9:15 PM
    Sorry - I didn't know that Android 6 had supposedly fixed the SD card issue. Please ignore my earlier post which applied to earlier versions.
    • ballyblack
    • By ballyblack 22nd Sep 16, 8:07 AM
    • 2,920 Posts
    • 1,460 Thanks
    ballyblack
    Android isn't too good at using SD cards for apps
    This statement still hold true on Android 6 for me, a lot of Apps just don't work properly on SD card.

You need at least 16GB of internal to run more than a few apps
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

119Posts Today

1,199Users online

Martin's Twitter