Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • donnajt
    • By donnajt 21st Sep 16, 5:10 PM
    • 760Posts
    • 6,341Thanks
    donnajt
    Store Cupboard / Stockpile
    • 21st Sep 16, 5:10 PM
    Store Cupboard / Stockpile 21st Sep 16 at 5:10 PM
    Hi Everyone, last month I implemented the Second Purse (sorry original poster I can't remember your name!) its going really well but I just wondered what items you stockpile or items you would suggest I stock up on, so far I have....

Loyd Grossman Tomato & Chilli Sauce
    Loyd Grossman Tomato & Basil Sauce
    Loyd Grossman Tikka Masala Sauce
    Dolmio
    Toilet Rolls
    Fabric Conditioner
    Washing Powder
    All Purpose Cleaner
    Shower Gel
    Deodorant
    Bleach
    Toothpaste
    Bottled Water / Fruit Shoots (kids packed lunches)
    Baby Wipes
    Sept 16 Shopping Challenge: 500
    Wk1 Trolley total: 60.88 / Total to pay: 43.88 / -1 delivery / - 3.40 in cashback = +69p milk 40.17
Page 1
    • WantToBeSE
    • By WantToBeSE 21st Sep 16, 5:21 PM
    • 7,158 Posts
    • 28,315 Thanks
    WantToBeSE
    • 21st Sep 16, 5:21 PM
    • 21st Sep 16, 5:21 PM
    My pantry consists of lots of things like:

Chickpeas
    Lentils
    Beans (black beans, butter beans, borlotti beans etc)
    Tinned sweetcorn
    Tinned chopped tomatoes
    Passata
    Coconut milk and cream
    Pasta and other carbs
    Rice and cous cous
    Teabags
    Coffee
    Long life milks
    Cat food & Litter

Personal hygiene products like tampons, toothpaste, shower gel etc.

I think it's quite personal to each family though. This is a list of things that we get through each and every month. For other people it may be very different, it just depends on what you eat.
    #20- 3/6 month emergency fund challenge.

Debt Free Diary http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5501794
    • Si Clist
    • By Si Clist 21st Sep 16, 6:05 PM
    • 253 Posts
    • 1,796 Thanks
    Si Clist
    • 21st Sep 16, 6:05 PM
    • 21st Sep 16, 6:05 PM
    Just off the top of me 'ead ...

Shop stuff

Rice
    Pasta
    Cheapo chopped toms
    Tinned butter beans, baked beans and canellini beans
    Tinned shrooms
    Tinned sweetcorn (even though they all taste of sweet and not of corn)
    Corned beef
    Sardines
    Sultanas
    Ground coffee
    Teabags
    Tinned custard
    Tinned rice pud
    Exasperated milk
    Dried yeast
    Spelt grain
    Sugar
    Salt
    Vinegar

Preserved stuff (Kilner jars)
    French beans
    Runner beans
    Peas
    Rhubarb
    Pears
    Strawberries
    Raspberries
    Blueberries
    Goosegogs

plus the jams and pickles and before much longer the dried apple rings
    A positive attitude might not solve all your problems, but it'll annoy enough people to make the effort worthwhile
    • Slowly57
    • By Slowly57 21st Sep 16, 6:25 PM
    • 45 Posts
    • 170 Thanks
    Slowly57
    • 21st Sep 16, 6:25 PM
    • 21st Sep 16, 6:25 PM
    My Zombie Apocalypse Cupboard was getting a bit out of hand - and I was having to inspect dates (I now know why bogoffs exist) and make a lot of Chefs Surprise meals and tinned fruity breakfasts lol. As it is located in my cellar I tend to put only tins or jars down there and washing/cleaning stuff. It is very low at the mo as we do mostly fresh over the summer months - but I need to get it stocked up with soup/tinned pulses for quick winter stodge

SI I love your Exasperated milk
    getting my ducks in a row and my parachute ready Oct GC 0 / 200 28/9/16 - 26/10/16
    Saved nearly 100 each on car + home insurance 2016 by telling my insurer about better quotes elsewhere - feeling assertive - yay!
    • Biggles
    • By Biggles 22nd Sep 16, 7:38 AM
    • 6,788 Posts
    • 4,224 Thanks
    Biggles
    • 22nd Sep 16, 7:38 AM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 7:38 AM
    Sounds like my WOO List (When On Offer) - there's some stuff that has no Sell By and will always be on offer sooner or later, so there's no point ever paying full price.

J-cloths
    Fab con
    Washing powder
    De-ionised water (for the steam generator iron)
    Soap
    Washing-up liquid
    Deodorant/antiperspirant
    Thick bleach
    Tishoos
    Kitchen roll
    Radox
    Boggers
    • Coxy11
    • By Coxy11 22nd Sep 16, 8:08 AM
    • 1,837 Posts
    • 22,772 Thanks
    Coxy11
    • 22nd Sep 16, 8:08 AM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 8:08 AM
    I too have a second purse - using Mothership's system.

I go to Co$tco and stock up on:
    Loo roll, pg t!ps, beef mince, chicken breast and thighs, washing liquid.

I recently got an approved f00d order:
    Bran$ton beans, shredded!es, cup a soup

Plus grab bogofs on our regular products particularly,
    Shampoo and conditioner, deodorant, shower gel, hand wash, toothpaste

I tot up each month what we've used and pay the money back into the purse. This past month we've used 135 worth of stock, so that's what I have for offers this month. The monthly trip to co$tco is my main spend, but the meat is lovely and I portion it up for the freezer.

Coxy
    Cross-stitch WIP #1: Collecting Shells by Nancy Cole
    Currently reading: The Lady of the Rivers by Philippa Gregory
    • nanny beach
    • By nanny beach 23rd Sep 16, 10:23 AM
    • 31 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    nanny beach
    • 23rd Sep 16, 10:23 AM
    • 23rd Sep 16, 10:23 AM
    Dried stuff; rice, pasta, flour. tin of each, beans,spaghetti,peas,tuna,tomatos,salmon.Washing machine stuff, (whatever is on special) Loo rolls.
    • Caterina
    • By Caterina 23rd Sep 16, 10:30 AM
    • 5,227 Posts
    • 34,760 Thanks
    Caterina
    • 23rd Sep 16, 10:30 AM
    • 23rd Sep 16, 10:30 AM
    Sorry for being dense but I have never managed to understand how the second purse system works. I went on the original thread but just don't get it! Is there a kindly soul here who would be willing to explain it in a very simple way to me please? Thank you!

My stock up cubboard usually contains:

All manners of pulses and grains
    Bagged nuts (eg from Mr L) with longish use by date
    Tinned tomatoes and passata bottles
    Olive oil (I buy it by the 5lt can and often have at least a couple)
    Toilet paper
    Soaps
    Laundry liquid
    Seeds (in freezer so they keep)
    Some pasta but not usually much because I don't eat it
    Tea
    Tinned fish

I have some old stock of soya chunks which I plan to use up before restocking for winter.
    Last edited by Caterina; 23-09-2016 at 10:34 AM.
    2016 NSDs so far: 2
    From September 2016: 1
    • maman
    • By maman 23rd Sep 16, 11:31 AM
    • 14,613 Posts
    • 86,481 Thanks
    maman
    • 23rd Sep 16, 11:31 AM
    • 23rd Sep 16, 11:31 AM
    I'm another who hasn't got my head around the second purse sytem either.

I'd be interested in people's reasons for having a store cupboard. I understand the elderly worrying they might not be able to get out and those really strapped for cash have it as a 'rainy day' back up. Personally I have a storecupboard of good value items either from offers in my usual shops or from stores that I don't get to very often like Home Bargains.

My freezer is stocked much the same with YS bargains and 3 for 2 or similar offers on frozen veg, fish and meat.

Lately I've been buying Lazy Garlic and Frylight when it's on offer in Aldi. Soon I'll be putting away a few Christmas bits partly to stop my DH eating them and also so I don't have to do a massive shop at Christmas and find they've sold out of some things. Otherwise I do my weekly shop at Aldi, Farmfoods and a few bits from Sainsbury's and that's about the best value for money.
    • WantToBeSE
    • By WantToBeSE 23rd Sep 16, 2:59 PM
    • 7,158 Posts
    • 28,315 Thanks
    WantToBeSE
    I'm another who hasn't got my head around the second purse sytem either.

I'd be interested in people's reasons for having a store cupboard. I understand the elderly worrying they might not be able to get out and those really strapped for cash have it as a 'rainy day' back up.
    Personally I have a storecupboard of good value items either from offers in my usual shops or from stores that I don't get to very often like Home Bargains.

My freezer is stocked much the same with YS bargains and 3 for 2 or similar offers on frozen veg, fish and meat.

Lately I've been buying Lazy Garlic and Frylight when it's on offer in Aldi. Soon I'll be putting away a few Christmas bits partly to stop my DH eating them and also so I don't have to do a massive shop at Christmas and find they've sold out of some things. Otherwise I do my weekly shop at Aldi, Farmfoods and a few bits from Sainsbury's and that's about the best value for money.
    Originally posted by maman

Mine is basically laziness, i just dont want to be going to the supermarket very often. I HATE food shopping, so doing a massive online shop every now and again of all the dried and tinned goods means that my weekly shops are mainly for just fruit and veg. This means i can quickly pop in and out of Morrisons.
    #20- 3/6 month emergency fund challenge.

Debt Free Diary http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5501794
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 23rd Sep 16, 3:11 PM
    • 6,771 Posts
    • 6,919 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    I have 60 tins of haggis and 48 tins of stewed steak, from when they were reduced for clearance at 35p each.
    Wins and Freebies: ττhραṡτε, τεα-τώεl
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 23rd Sep 16, 4:07 PM
    • 3,746 Posts
    • 22,243 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    My fridge is full of tins!

Of Wobbleades. Hic. Best place for them!
    Last edited by Blackbeard of Perranporth; Yesterday at 6:41 AM.
    Two Lovers
    Siting on a bench in Sydney Park
    • Si Clist
    • By Si Clist 23rd Sep 16, 5:32 PM
    • 253 Posts
    • 1,796 Thanks
    Si Clist
    I'd be interested in people's reasons for having a store cupboard.
    Originally posted by maman
    In our case, but in no particular order ...

The memories of what it was like during the strikes in the 70's and 80's when deliveries to the shops went haywire

And what it was like down here after the 1987 hurricane

The fact that the supermarkets seem to be working with just 2-3 days stock (that's in the shops plus the distribution centres), so if anything major happens to snooker that, it's instant empty shelves as soon as word gets round on social media.

We feel better knowing that if we both get ill at the same time, we can manage very well indeed without going shopping for at least 14 days.

We try to shop as infrequently as we can

And anyhow we like opening the preserves cupboard and feeling smug about what we see
    A positive attitude might not solve all your problems, but it'll annoy enough people to make the effort worthwhile
    • Linda32
    • By Linda32 23rd Sep 16, 7:50 PM
    • 3,924 Posts
    • 8,799 Thanks
    Linda32
    Hi,

I think it rather depends on what you are stockpiling for. Otherwise it could just turn into a shopping list of stuff you don't need, and with this being a money saving site

In my case I make a shopping list through out the week and then buy what I need from the supermarket. There isn't much chance of us getting snowed in for instance, as we have a big co-op within walking distance and a Tesco Local. But if that isn't the case for you then that might be relevant nearer to winter.
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 23rd Sep 16, 8:13 PM
    • 5,483 Posts
    • 13,576 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    It's partly a savings plan
    partly in case we get snowed in
    partly in case we fall out of work/get suddenly badly sick
    partly so we do not have to shop every day
    partly to wring the full value out of every penny on promotions
    partly as shopping with a car is a treat - lugging all the dry goods would be great cardio but hell on the skeleton
    partly as we've Costco membership so some buying in bulk does work out as financially economic
    partly so we can afford to be generous with food donations - we have an abundance to be generous from
    partly as we have the storage capability
    partly as I observed my parents build & maintain a store cupboard, as they learned from their parents
    partly as I like to make jams etc as I learned from my folks & they wait in storage
    partly as when the norovirus hits, knowing we have 48 loo rolls in store is a relief
    and partly for peace of mind

I expect other reasons will be along as soon as I wander away from the computer!
    • Purple kitten
    • By Purple kitten 23rd Sep 16, 8:21 PM
    • 1,559 Posts
    • 16,322 Thanks
    Purple kitten
    Wow DfV you have covered literally everything I was thinking there.

I was thinking back and my parents always had a larder, and it's lovely to shop just because we need milk and bread.

Here we store in the corner unit, Soups, cutneys, rice, beans, pasta and sauces all sorts really, for various like C@stco. I food plan around it and cycle it around to make sure the dates are ok.

I am temporarily not working at the moment, and there's no pressure thanks to the store and freezer we aren't in need of much, well except the next work assignment.
    • SailorSam
    • By SailorSam 23rd Sep 16, 9:49 PM
    • 20,453 Posts
    • 34,974 Thanks
    SailorSam
    Other than fresh fruit and perhaps milk, i think i've got enough in the cupboards & freezers to last for months without needing to go shopping.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
    • purpleybat
    • By purpleybat 23rd Sep 16, 10:12 PM
    • 75 Posts
    • 357 Thanks
    purpleybat
    I stock up on tinned and dried stuff, well, anything heavy once every month or so as I don't drive.
    as much as I love my flowery pink trolley, hauling tins and well as detergent, spuds etc isn't good for my shoulders/neck. I don't want another 9 weeks off work sick if it plays up again
    grocery challenge for Sept 2016 160
    • flubberyzing
    • By flubberyzing 25th Sep 16, 4:36 PM
    • 992 Posts
    • 5,983 Thanks
    flubberyzing
    I have a store cupboard because my Mum has one - it's just what you're used to doing...
    Mine is mostly tinned veg, pasta/sauce, rice and tinned meats (minced beef and Tesco also do a lovely chicken curry in a can!)

Mine also gives me piece of mind... My work situation can be up and down, and as a singleton, it's only down to me to pay the bills, so when I have the spare money, I build the stock cupboard up, so I can eat it and save money when I need to.

I'm also working on building it up this time of year, with a view to getting through a harsh winter. I'm thinking back to 2(?) winters ago when I was trapped in my flat for over a week - and I was incredibly grateful for a decent store cupboard!
    Because it's fun to have money!
    Jan GC: 61.90/50, Feb GC: 50.36/60, Mar GC: 40.29/60, Apr GC: Fell off the wagon... Whoops!

• ariarnia
    • By ariarnia 25th Sep 16, 5:59 PM
    • 893 Posts
    • 2,573 Thanks
    ariarnia
    My current stockpile - which needs using up...

I aim to keep at least 10 of each of the following:

Tins
    tomatoes
    beans (and some spaghetti hoops)
    mushy peas
    chickpeas
    stewed steak
    corned beef
    tuna
    mackerel in tomato sauce
    a selection of soups
    mixed bean salad in vinegar
    kidney beans/mixed beans in water

Plus normally at least one tin of each of the following - potatoes, carrots, peas, corn, spinach - to make a stupidly easy stew with a tin of the steak

Dried goods
    2 kilo rice
    3 kilo basic rolled oats
    a huge box of generic wheatbix
    3 kilo pasta
    4 packs of rice and egg noodle nests
    quinoa
    couscous
    bulgar
    pearl barley
    kidney beans
    butterbeans
    chickpeas
    lentils
    dried peas
    soya mince (tvp)
    various seeds for sprouting
    various flours
    yeast
    12 cartons of UHT
    4 cartons of dried milk
    4 kilo of sugar
    4 tubs of powdered sweetener (my fault)
    8 boxes of tea bags - around 2000 in total (again my fault )

Spices
    cumin (seed and ground)
    coriander
    cayenne pepper
    turmeric
    garam
    garlic powder
    onion powder
    hickory smoke powder
    smoked paprika
    chinese five spice
    chilli flakes
    cinnamon
    nutmeg
    about 2 kilo of salt
    A big jar of mixed stock cubes and a kilo tub of marigold stock

meat
    I buy in bulk throughout the year to keep the freezer topped up.

Currently in the freezer:
    around 20 of each sausages, burgers, chicken drumsticks, chicken breasts, 6oz steaks.
    4 or so packs of smoked bacon
    3 smoked gammon joints
    3 one kilo beef joints
    4 whole chickens (small)
    2 ducks
    2 packs duck breast
    1 kilo prawns
    A pack each of white fish, smoked fish, mackerel, place and salmon.
    6 slimming world ready meals (for an easy grab and go lunch at work)
    6 or so frozen soups (ditto)
    4 kilo frozen cheddar in 500g blocks
    4 packs quorn sausage (cook from frozen)
    A bag of coffee beans
    A bag of fresh nutmeg and cinnamon sticks
    A draw of pre-prepared (by me) veg - inc chunked sweet potato and BN squash and diced onion

then there's the many (many) packs of instant custard...

and we buy sacks of 25kilo potatoes about 3 times a year, and 12 or so squash in the autumn (keep them cool and dark and they do fine for 6 months).

I've always been a food hoarder, but am reassured we should comfortably have enough in to keep us and the babies fed decently for 3 months if needed without noticing much change.

I had serious fears when pregnant with lollypop that something would happen to OH while I wasn't working and we'd die!

Not that I'm a worrier - obviously
    Almost everything will work again if you unplug it for a few minutes, including you. Anne Lamott

It's amazing how those with a can-do attitude and willingness to 'pitch in and work' get all the luck, isn't it?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

98Posts Today

2,134Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • If you know you're bust you must declare it asap. So no firm ever says "yes we plan to go insolvent". So you never? https://t.co/w8aIKOqHzq

• Some people misreading... it's NOT the rumours of insolvency of the Monarchy! Its Monarch airlines (again tho I've no idea of its validity)

• Also re #monarchinsolvency rumours it's important to state Monarch are firmly denying it... https://t.co/N27MENRjY9

• Follow Martin