Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • leoetal19
    • By leoetal19 21st Sep 16, 3:33 PM
    • 437Posts
    • 522Thanks
    leoetal19
    contractual term when there ws no contract?
    • 21st Sep 16, 3:33 PM
    contractual term when there ws no contract? 21st Sep 16 at 3:33 PM
    hello
    I am looking for some advice for my son, he signed up to an electric course in March 2014, at the time he signed an agreement and was told he could do the course in his own time and take '4 months or 40 years'; it was flexible and he could od at his own pace/time. the company he paid £5995 to then went out of business and another provider picked up all the exiting clients.
    the change over took months but he started with the new provider in may 2014; his progress has been slow as he has been trying to fit it round a full time job and has had over 6 months absence from work with severe hand and thumb injuries in that time.
    however he recently logged on to pick up his studies and was told his 'contractual course term' has expired and he will have to pay another £4000 to complete the course.
    the new provider admit he signed no contract with them and they have never told him he only had 2 years; they have sent a copy of his original agreement with the first provider and that states NO time limit, in face it states ' I can study at my own pace'.
    I have suggested he takes legal advice as there is no contract stating 2 years so how can his contractual term have expired?

any advice would be welcome xx
    he's still paying £150 a month for the finance and will be for another couple of years; he really wants to get it finished now (I know he's dragged his feet but they did say he could take 40 years if he wanted!)
    even god cant change the past-no matter how many times i cry
    for levi, leo, smudge and arfa my angels
Page 1
    • bris
    • By bris 21st Sep 16, 10:02 PM
    • 6,000 Posts
    • 4,899 Thanks
    bris
    • 21st Sep 16, 10:02 PM
    • 21st Sep 16, 10:02 PM
    If he has proof of this he should speak to the finance co and start a S75 claim for breach of contract, actually he should speak to them any way and get it started,

This will allow him to see what his options are and if it's not good the he has the financial ombudsman that he can take it to for a final decision.
    • leoetal19
    • By leoetal19 22nd Sep 16, 10:34 AM
    • 437 Posts
    • 522 Thanks
    leoetal19
    • 22nd Sep 16, 10:34 AM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 10:34 AM
    hi
    thanks for the reply; I will get him on to that
    even god cant change the past-no matter how many times i cry
    for levi, leo, smudge and arfa my angels
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

196Posts Today

1,690Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • If you know you're bust you must declare it asap. So no firm ever says "yes we plan to go insolvent". So you never? https://t.co/w8aIKOqHzq

• Some people misreading... it's NOT the rumours of insolvency of the Monarchy! Its Monarch airlines (again tho I've no idea of its validity)

• Also re #monarchinsolvency rumours it's important to state Monarch are firmly denying it... https://t.co/N27MENRjY9

• Follow Martin