Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Seabiscuit
    • By Seabiscuit 21st Sep 16, 2:59 PM
    • 8Posts
    • 5Thanks
    Seabiscuit
    Time to get a grip!
    • 21st Sep 16, 2:59 PM
    Time to get a grip! 21st Sep 16 at 2:59 PM
    I've been lurking on these forums for ages picking up loads of fab money saving tips and have finally decided to start a diary to document my debt free journey and keep me motivated.

I've currently got £7k-£8k of debt spread across 3 credit cards, an overdraft and catalogue. These mainly comprise of car repairs and eventual replacement of my nightmare car and a horrendous string of vets bills that the insurance wouldn't touch, with a little bit of general living beyond our means thrown in. Repayment has been at a minimum for the last year as I've been on maternity leave, however I'm due my first pay packet in a couple of weeks so I'm taking the opportunity to start as I mean to go on.

As well as my finances I'm going to use this diary to keep me on track with other aspects of my life. My house is a cluttered tip and it drives me mad so will use this to try and help me put some order in place there. I'm also going to use it to keep me on the right track with my weight and fitness. I've lost just over 2 stone since having my little boy but would like to lose another stone. I've recently taken up running as I no longer have the time or money for the gym - I love it! Would love to run a half marathon next spring so I'm going to use this diary to help keep me on track with that.

So..... Goals for 2016/2017........
    1. Pay off at least 5k
    2. Lose 1 stone
    3. Run half marathon
    4. The most important one, give my little one the best life possible
Page 1
    • fourthtimelucky
    • By fourthtimelucky 21st Sep 16, 3:32 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    fourthtimelucky
    • 21st Sep 16, 3:32 PM
    • 21st Sep 16, 3:32 PM
    Hola, welcome aboard. Good luck with the half marathon, I did my third one last week and I am just about recovered!
    Starting point Aug 2016 - £13,853.38
    Current total Sep 2016 - £13,845.40 - 0.06% paid off (I have an excuse for month one...)
    Debt free date (worst case) December 2019
    • Seabiscuit
    • By Seabiscuit 22nd Sep 16, 5:52 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Seabiscuit
    • 22nd Sep 16, 5:52 AM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 5:52 AM
    Thanks fourthtimelucky! Was it the great north run you did? Any tips for training?

Right, time for a few numbers.....

Cc1 £5970.74
    Cc2 £821.56
    Cc3 £530.85
    OD £1000
    Very £147.98
    Next £41.47

Total £8512.60

All except cc2, OD and Next are on 0%, so these will be my priority.

I will have about £300 a month to chuck at these, so worse case scenario they can be cleared by the end of 2018. However, in light of all the decluttering I have to do, I'm going to be ebaying like mad so should have a bit extra to help clear it sooner.
    • Seabiscuit
    • By Seabiscuit 22nd Sep 16, 6:15 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Seabiscuit
    • 22nd Sep 16, 6:15 AM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 6:15 AM
    So, I spent yesterday's nap time listing some bits on eBay and already have £10 in bids Also got a few bigger bits listed on local fb pages and had a £5 sale last night, with potentially another £15 to come over the weekend providing they turn up!

All extra monies made via eBay etc will be put in a separate bank account until month end, just in case of any emergencies and then paid off the debts.

Things I'm going to do to help get rid of the debt sooner......
    1. Sell, sell, sell - declutter my house whilst makes some £££s. I've got loads of clothes, baby stuff etc that needs to go. Just a case of finding the time. Will aim to list 5 items everyday, as once they're on its so easy just to relist if they don't sell.

2. Address the food shopping spend. Our biggest downfall. Doesn't help them OH works next to a supermarket and will pop in most days Will get the slow cooker out and batch cook a load of Bol, chilli, cottage pies, curries, soup etc. Soups will be great to take for lunch at work escpecially now the weathers turning.

Things I've already done....

1. Utilities are on the lowest tariffs, just need to make sure we're using them efficiently.
    2. Use TCB and quidco, currently have around £30 waiting to be payable.
    3. Christmas shopping is done for everyone except parents and my sister. Most have been bought in sales or using Tesco and Boots points. Got some lovely gifts for small spends.

Plan for today:
    1. eBay 5 things
    2. Check out when MOTs due (both due before year end )
    3. Make a pot of curry for tea and freeze the excess
    • Seabiscuit
    • By Seabiscuit 23rd Sep 16, 5:24 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Seabiscuit
    • 23rd Sep 16, 5:24 AM
    • 23rd Sep 16, 5:24 AM
    Fairly productive day yesterday. Little man was cooperative and had a nice long sleep in the morning which freed me up to crack on with my chores. Managed to get some bits listed on eBay, make the curry (one eaten last night, two frozen) and make a start at sorting our bedroom.

The mot for my car is due beginning of October, so need to phone today and get it booked in for next week. How much we can pay off next month will be largely dependant on how much this costs, so good that it's out the way so early.

Jobs for today.....
    1. Book car in
    2. V. Small food shop
    3. Order nappies from boots (works out as cheap as Aldi whilst they're on offer and I get 10 points per £ through their parenting club )
    4. Quick stock take of freezer.
    5. Meal plan for next week
    6. Main shopping list for after payday
    • Aamberle
    • By Aamberle 23rd Sep 16, 6:21 AM
    • 557 Posts
    • 957 Thanks
    Aamberle
    • 23rd Sep 16, 6:21 AM
    • 23rd Sep 16, 6:21 AM
    Good luck on your journey, you seem very organised. X
    2012 The year I started dealing with my debts.
    2016. Lets start this again shall we?

Focus number 1 £103/£1200 joined 1% challenge. NOW 9%
    LOAN 1 Only 24 payments left until gone
    • Seabiscuit
    • By Seabiscuit 24th Sep 16, 6:10 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Seabiscuit
    • 24th Sep 16, 6:10 AM
    • 24th Sep 16, 6:10 AM
    Thanks for dropping by Aamberle - I'm organised for the first 2.5 weeks of the finically month - it's the last 10 days that let me down!

Cars booked in for next week - fingers crossed its not a huge bill. Ordered the nappies from boots (currently BOGOF ) - now got over £30 in points so will cover a few Christmas pressies on the 3 for 2. Ploughed my way through the chest freezer in the garage and found enough veggie food to feed me for months (unfortunately OH doesn't like Quorn etc so still going to have to shop to feed him ). Not managed to do the meal plan yet, but it'll be a whole lot easier now I know what I have to play with.

Had an eBay item sell overnight for £15 - very happy with that. Will get it posted today and withdraw the money into my 'eBay' account. Managed to get another 4 items listed yesterday - got a couple of watchers but no bids as yet.

Will sit down later and sort the meal plan and also make a list of upcoming expenses between now and the end of the year so that I can plan them in. I know there's definitely the cars, a vet visit for ponies jabs and potentially some horsey meds needed (if not this side of new year pretty soon after!)

Have a good Saturday X
    • Aamberle
    • By Aamberle 24th Sep 16, 7:40 AM
    • 557 Posts
    • 957 Thanks
    Aamberle
    • 24th Sep 16, 7:40 AM
    • 24th Sep 16, 7:40 AM
    Wow you are organised! I can just about managed spends for the month let alone the rest of the year! lol
    2012 The year I started dealing with my debts.
    2016. Lets start this again shall we?

Focus number 1 £103/£1200 joined 1% challenge. NOW 9%
    LOAN 1 Only 24 payments left until gone
    • Seabiscuit
    • By Seabiscuit 26th Sep 16, 6:41 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Seabiscuit
    • 26th Sep 16, 6:41 AM
    • 26th Sep 16, 6:41 AM
    Start of a new financial month for us today, so time to get cracking with paying this debt off. This morning I've paid the minimum payment of £25 to CC2. The £15 made from eBay has gone into the eBay account for now, also have another £15 in bids on items ending today. Hopefully should have enough to clear the Next account. Not the biggest of the debts but it's costing us in interest, so be good to get it gone.

Got my meal plan done for the week. Was struggling with lunches, so had a root around in the cupboards and freezer - found carrots and potatoes I'd frozen so managed to throw together a carrot and coriander soup in the slow cooker. Fingers crossed it tastes as good as it smells. A friend also dropped off some cooking apples and I'd picked a load of blackberries from the horses field so will look for a slimming world friendly(ish) recipe for crumble - free pudding

Have an on line food shop to finish off today. Would love to get in the habit of doing the non Aldi shop done on line once I'm back at work. I begrudge spending my time walking round there dodging trollies when for the sake of £1 I get someone else to do it for me AND get it delivered! Bargain!!! Just need to get OH on board as he loves food shopping (and spending too much on it )

Plan for today....
    1. Post eBay item
    2. Finish food shop
    3. Change beds
    4. Tidy and Hoover downstairs
    5. Pick Boots order up
    6. Try and squeeze in a run
    • Seabiscuit
    • By Seabiscuit 26th Sep 16, 3:19 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Seabiscuit
    Just grabbing a quick cuppa so thought I'd check in. Had a few eBay items sell this afternoon - made £18 I've also sold another item on fb for £5, so that leaves me £3 short for the Next bill. Given my minimum payment for the month would be a fiver so I'm going to just pay this off once all the payments have come through.

Car goes in tomorrow - pleased to get it over and done with early in the financial month so I can work out how much I've got to play with.

Right best get back to sorting the spare room. Will get another half hour done before going to feed to ponies.
    • Libertus
    • By Libertus 26th Sep 16, 4:13 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    Libertus
    Hi Seabiscuit!

I like your goals, and your enthusiasm! I love seeing people taking control over their life! I hope that you will be successful! I hope to keep following your progress!
    • Seabiscuit
    • By Seabiscuit 27th Sep 16, 4:38 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Seabiscuit
    Thanks Libertus - this diary's really helping to keep my mind focussed on getting out of debt. Determined to do it!

The eBay success continued last night, with two BIN items selling for £17 each . Still waiting on £10.50 in payments from yesterday afternoons sales, but will go ahead and get the Next account paid off. I'll then transfer to excess into the eBay account and leave it until the end of the month before paying it off CC2.

One of the money saving changes I made when I went on mat leave was to start dying my own hair. Up until then I'd been paying £55 every 6-8 weeks to get it done not anymore! The dye I use is normally £9.99, however I usually get it when it's on offer at half price. Well yesterday did a quick web search as to where it's on offer and found it at Wilkos for £2.50 a box needless to say I've ordered 4 boxes to keep me going. Bargain!

Carrot and coriander soup was lovely - just as well as I have enough for lunch for the remainder of the week! At least it's healthy....

Must get down to slimming world tonight. Been too embarrassed to go for a few weeks as put half a stone on whilst on holiday Too much fish and chips! Had just got another half a stone to lose but with the holiday blow out it puts me back to a stone. Be good to lose it by Christmas (so I can put it back on over the festive period and start again in January no doubt )

Anyway, today's jobs.....

1. Pay off next account
    2. Package and post eBay
    3. Run (didn't get round to it yesterday)
    4. Have a good cry when the car bill comes through (fingers crossed this doesn't happen )
    5. Get 5 more eBay items listed.
    • Thistle-down
    • By Thistle-down 27th Sep 16, 9:34 AM
    • 711 Posts
    • 2,642 Thanks
    Thistle-down
    Wow, are you always up and organised so early? It sounds like you have everything under control - I envy your enthusiasm.

Are you a racing fan? I'm just wondering about your user name... I remember reading a story about Sea Biscuit when I was younger, I read every horsey type book I could find back then!
    ~ Thistle
    WD Fund £17.49
    Weight loss 3 / 93
    House Fund £0
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

788Posts Today

5,743Users online

Martin's Twitter