Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cth3403
    • By cth3403 21st Sep 16, 2:54 PM
    • 9Posts
    • 1Thanks
    cth3403
    Asbestos in house we're buying
    • 21st Sep 16, 2:54 PM
    Asbestos in house we're buying 21st Sep 16 at 2:54 PM
    Hi,

My wife and I had a building survey completed and this indicated the possibility of asbestos, as such we've had an asbestos survey carried out and found that the tiles they've used in a suspended ceiling are asbestos insulation board (Amosite, Chrysotile).

Our son has breathing difficulties and there is no way we'd exchange until the asbestos is removed. Can we get the vendor to pay for removal or reduce the house price to cover the cost of removal? Any suggestions or tips would be gratefully received.
Page 2
    • fairy lights
    • By fairy lights 22nd Sep 16, 10:07 AM
    • 5,839 Posts
    • 18,556 Thanks
    fairy lights
    I still don't quite understand the problem. Would you need to remove the ceiling tiles? If not, no problem.
    If you hate the look of the tiles could you plaster over them?
    • cth3403
    • By cth3403 22nd Sep 16, 10:13 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    cth3403
    Thanks for all the replies.

I just wanted to gauge opinion on whether you'd ask for the price to be reduced if you found the property you were buying had asbestos in it (an AIB ceiling to be exact) to help cover the cost of removal.

The answer seems to be a resounding 'no'.
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 22nd Sep 16, 10:16 AM
    • 3,424 Posts
    • 2,961 Thanks
    davidmcn
    But when does it become a risk?
    Originally posted by cth3403
    Once you've been breathing in a significant amount of the dust over a prolonged period of time.

(assuming you mean "a risk worth mitigating", because you don't eliminate all other forms of risk from your life, do you?)

Seriously, you're overthinking this.
    • cth3403
    • By cth3403 22nd Sep 16, 10:26 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    cth3403
    Seriously, you're overthinking this.
    Originally posted by davidmcn
    I get that a lot.
    • stator
    • By stator 22nd Sep 16, 11:05 AM
    • 4,913 Posts
    • 3,104 Thanks
    stator
    It's ugly and a pain to deal with, so I might consider reducing my offer. But it wouldn't put me off the house if it's a good one
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 22nd Sep 16, 11:19 AM
    • 3,496 Posts
    • 3,551 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    Thanks for all the replies.

I just wanted to gauge opinion on whether you'd ask for the price to be reduced if you found the property you were buying had asbestos in it (an AIB ceiling to be exact) to help cover the cost of removal.

The answer seems to be a resounding 'no'.
    Originally posted by cth3403
    The cost of removal, as said, is a few trips to the dump.
    The significant cost will be in removing all the associated structure and getting the ceiling reskimmed as no doubt it will be a mess underneath that.
    I'd reduce my price by a grand or two because of the suspended ceiling not because of the content of the tiles.
    When I moved into this house the bathroom had a suspended ceiling, i just removed the tiles and took them to the dump. No idea if they had asbestos in them, didn't even occur to me at the time. The ceiling had a few cracks, plus taking the aluminum framework down left holes in it, I got it all skimmed.
    • Bonfire Bride
    • By Bonfire Bride 22nd Sep 16, 11:45 AM
    • 447 Posts
    • 549 Thanks
    Bonfire Bride
    I would discuss it with seller but wouldnt be suprised if they did not agree to a reduction.

I would get the tiles removed, ceiling plastered once we had completed but before we moved in...just for peace of mind.
    Mummy to 2 little boys
    House on the market for 19 months ....SOLD!
    Natalie
    • teneighty
    • By teneighty 22nd Sep 16, 12:23 PM
    • 759 Posts
    • 490 Thanks
    teneighty
    Just read this and cannot believe the bad advice that has been given.

Amosite asbestos is nasty stuff, far worse than you would normally find in a residential property and extremely unusual to find this outside of commercial buildings.

I've got quite a relaxed attitude the chrysotile asbestos you usually find in artex and asbestos cement and have lived in such houses quite happily but I would NEVER move into a house with Amosite asbestos.

Removal will be a licensed operation and will cost several thousand pounds. You could in theory live with it if it is in good condition but I would not want to take the risk that someone would disturb or break one of the ceiling panels releasing the very hazardous fibres.
    • Grenage
    • By Grenage 22nd Sep 16, 12:50 PM
    • 665 Posts
    • 632 Thanks
    Grenage
    Just read this and cannot believe the bad advice that has been given.

Amosite asbestos is nasty stuff, far worse than you would normally find in a residential property and extremely unusual to find this outside of commercial buildings.

I've got quite a relaxed attitude the chrysotile asbestos you usually find in artex and asbestos cement and have lived in such houses quite happily but I would NEVER move into a house with Amosite asbestos.

Removal will be a licensed operation and will cost several thousand pounds. You could in theory live with it if it is in good condition but I would not want to take the risk that someone would disturb or break one of the ceiling panels releasing the very hazardous fibres.
    Originally posted by teneighty
    Asbestos is not going to come down in the night, kill your family and rape your dog. It's a trivial matter to dispose of as long as you take sensible precautions - i.e: dampen the tiles, handle them carefully, wear appropriate clothing/mask and clean-up afterwards.

I honestly don't know how some people make it through life, with all these evils lurking in every corner.
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 22nd Sep 16, 1:01 PM
    • 652 Posts
    • 811 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    I would suggest that you find a different house. If the asbestos is worrying you and you can't afford to have it removed then this is not the right property for you.
    • cth3403
    • By cth3403 22nd Sep 16, 4:06 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    cth3403
    Spoken to the surveyor and he has said it covers a 6 metre squared section of ceiling in the kitchen.

He recommended having it removed before moving in and said if he were in the same position would do the same. If the pipes burst above the kitchen then that would pose a large risk.

As mentioned before, you need to be licensed to remove this stuff so going to let the professionals handle it. The surveyor reckoned it would cost approx £1800 to remove it.
    • HouseBuyer77
    • By HouseBuyer77 22nd Sep 16, 4:52 PM
    • 632 Posts
    • 574 Thanks
    HouseBuyer77
    It does seem this is a rather rarer form of asbestos than that normally found in a house. As such I'd say you have a greater chance of succesfully negoiating with the vendor (point out that this is an odd material to find in a house, unlike the far more common chrysotile found in artex/cement materials).
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 22nd Sep 16, 6:51 PM
    • 20,146 Posts
    • 82,587 Thanks
    Davesnave
    As I said before, if I had them, I might still deal with these tiles myself, but that's because I've already worked with them (and worse!) around me for over 30 years, not always in circumstances where their integrity would have been respected either.

The risks weren't appreciated years ago and what's done, is done. Those meeting them for the first time now may have a different view

OP if I were you, I'd treat this the same way as any other survey result. £2k isn't a huge amount, but with the likely repairs added, you could be looking at £5k, which is certainly worth negotiating around.

Your problem is convincing the seller that they wont easily find someone less diligent, but if you copy the relevant part of the report to them, they may be prepared to listen and come to an agreement.
    'Opportunity is missed by most people, because it's usually dressed in overalls and looks like work.' Thomas Edison.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,047Posts Today

5,028Users online

Martin's Twitter