Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Lord Baltimore
    • By Lord Baltimore 21st Sep 16, 2:34 PM
    • 1,137Posts
    • 1,150Thanks
    Lord Baltimore
    Under Construction
    • 21st Sep 16, 2:34 PM
    Under Construction 21st Sep 16 at 2:34 PM
    So whenever you watch one of these house renovation programmes, invariably the decision is taken to move a (load-bearing) wall or whatever to modernise the space and make it more user-friendly for the current occupant. In which case, why don't developers building new homes these days incorporate a steel skeleton so that future changes in usage can be done with less fuss and as frequently as needs be?

Cost will be a consideration but there's all that cheap Chinese steel to be used or better still reinvigorate the ailing steel works at Port Talbot who could supply developers with the raw material for all the new, steel-framed homes that could be built.

I'm sure future buyers would find the flexibility to adapt living space without all those visible steel beams attractive, and the blokes at DIY SOS, Grand Designs, Building the Dream in the 2030's etc would have a much easier time of it! As would of course all us home owners who can change our living space with less upheaval and as often as we like.

Ok, I must be missing something; what is it?
    Last edited by Lord Baltimore; 21-09-2016 at 2:38 PM.
    The views expressed are my opinion, nothing more, nothing less.
Page 2
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 22nd Sep 16, 4:23 PM
    • 11,264 Posts
    • 9,548 Thanks
    AdrianC
    British homebuyers are used to buying property that is substantial, which is why a good deal of our housing stock is over a hundred years old and has survived 2 world wars. But this kind of building is no longer tenable or necessary. Current day design focuses more on heat efficient living space but with less substantial construction materials (although I think steel will last long enough!).
    Originally posted by Lord Baltimore
    Trouble is, the words "non-standard construction" have become inextricably linked with "unmortgageable, unsellable trouble" in a lot of the population's minds.
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 22nd Sep 16, 4:29 PM
    • 8,225 Posts
    • 5,894 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    British homebuyers are used to buying property that is substantial. But this kind of building is no longer tenable or necessary. Current day design focuses more on heat efficient living space but with less substantial construction materials (although I think steel will last long enough!).

Modular timber is used to construct huf houses which I think are catching on so the principle of a different kind of home may be becoming more acceptable.
    You actually make a good point. Building houses out of small blocks of fired clay and sand mixed with cement, water and aggregate makes for a time consuming exercise and is a permanent blot on the landscape. It is extremely expensive to change the size should this become necessary in future years.
    • Lord Baltimore
    • By Lord Baltimore 22nd Sep 16, 4:35 PM
    • 1,137 Posts
    • 1,150 Thanks
    Lord Baltimore
    Can I ask, what's the purpose of your question? Are you looking for investment opportunity?
    Originally posted by Guest101
    Not at all. I'm just trying to be positive about that which I think is an important issue. If I was in it for the money, I wouldn't be airing the idea in a public forum .

Now stop being so suspicious; I know you're a man capable of less negativity and able to provide (even more) valuable input .

Trouble is, the words "non-standard construction" have become inextricably linked with "unmortgageable, unsellable trouble" in a lot of the population's minds.
    Originally posted by AdrianC
    But this could become 'standardised construction' (on a huge scale) without the negative connotations.
    Last edited by Lord Baltimore; 22-09-2016 at 4:42 PM.
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 22nd Sep 16, 4:45 PM
    • 11,259 Posts
    • 10,587 Thanks
    Guest101
    Not at all. I'm just trying to be positive about that which I think is an important issue. If I was in it for the money, I wouldn't be airing the idea in a public forum .

Now stop being so suspicious; I know you're a man capable of less negativity and able to provide (even more) valuable input .

But this could become 'standardised construction' (on a huge scale) without the negative connotations.

You misunderstand, I'm not bothered if you were investing or not. My point was, this post wont change legislation or make developers think.

So I just wondering if there was an 'end goal', if it's just for discussion purposes then all good, but if you wanted some advice on this area regarding self builds, or investment or whatever.

I agree that as an idea it has merits, but getting an idea off the ground is another matter
    • Lord Baltimore
    • By Lord Baltimore 22nd Sep 16, 4:55 PM
    • 1,137 Posts
    • 1,150 Thanks
    Lord Baltimore
    You misunderstand, I'm not bothered if you were investing or not. My point was, this post wont change legislation or make developers think.

So I just wondering if there was an 'end goal', if it's just for discussion purposes then all good, but if you wanted some advice on this area regarding self builds, or investment or whatever.

I agree that as an idea it has merits, but getting an idea off the ground is another matter
    Ah, my apologies. It is a discussion topic that I hoped people might find a nice change from the usual stuff. But you never know...trees grow from small seeds; if the intelligent readership here can see merit in the idea perhaps it is one worth relaying to the bigwigs
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 22nd Sep 16, 4:57 PM
    • 11,259 Posts
    • 10,587 Thanks
    Guest101
    Ah, my apologies. It is a discussion topic that I hoped people might find a nice change from the usual stuff. But you never know...trees grow from small seeds; if the intelligent readership here can see merit in the idea perhaps it is one worth relaying to the bigwigs

It's something like this I suppose:

Ford know the focus is their most popular model, but they still make the fiesta.

I think developers know that having a modular house has benefits to the consumer, but building the 2 up 2 down rabbit holes has the best ROI
    • bod1467
    • By bod1467 22nd Sep 16, 5:05 PM
    • 14,782 Posts
    • 13,400 Thanks
    bod1467
    I think developers know that having a modular house has benefits to the consumer, but building the 2 up 2 down rabbit holes has the best ROI
    That's why it'll never happen (other than in isolated pockets) without government legislation/support.
    Got a Parking Charge Notice (parking ticket - IT'S NOT A FINE!)? Go here for further info ...
    Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Motoring > Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking >
    ... and click on the NEWBIES sticky thread (4816822)
    Please do not PM me for help - I will not offer help via PM.
    • Lord Baltimore
    • By Lord Baltimore 22nd Sep 16, 5:06 PM
    • 1,137 Posts
    • 1,150 Thanks
    Lord Baltimore
    It's something like this I suppose:

Ford know the focus is their most popular model, but they still make the fiesta.

Indeed. But it will be within the gift of Government to help them see the merit and profit in different designs. Perhaps for starters by only adopting estates of modular construction on completion?
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 22nd Sep 16, 5:08 PM
    • 11,259 Posts
    • 10,587 Thanks
    Guest101
    Indeed. But it will be within the gift of Government to help them see the merit and profit in different designs. Perhaps for starters by only adopting estates of modular construction on completion?

The problem is the developers have the govt by the gonads.

There's a housing shortage and imposing new regulations will just slow down construction
    • Lord Baltimore
    • By Lord Baltimore 22nd Sep 16, 5:11 PM
    • 1,137 Posts
    • 1,150 Thanks
    Lord Baltimore
    The problem is the developers have the govt by the gonads.

There's a housing shortage and imposing new regulations will just slow down construction
    The EU thought it had the UK by the gonads too. People will accept change if in the long term it is for the better.
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 22nd Sep 16, 5:16 PM
    • 11,259 Posts
    • 10,587 Thanks
    Guest101
    The EU thought it had the UK by the gonads too. People will accept change if in the long term it is for the better.

I see your point but this is different.

It's not a matter of opinion, it's cold hard facts. There is a huge national housing shortage and there is very limited nationalised construction.

99.9% of construction is by the private sector. They work from pre approved architect plans, using buying power to get vast quantities of resources and the margins are often quite tight on each unit.

The alternative is govt subsidies, which would be recouped via increate in Council Tax and generally increase in house prices.
    • Lord Baltimore
    • By Lord Baltimore 22nd Sep 16, 5:25 PM
    • 1,137 Posts
    • 1,150 Thanks
    Lord Baltimore
    I see your point but this is different.

It's not a matter of opinion, it's cold hard facts. There is a huge national housing shortage and there is very limited nationalised construction.

99.9% of construction is by the private sector. They work from pre approved architect plans, using buying power to get vast quantities of resources and the margins are often quite tight on each unit.

The alternative is govt subsidies, which would be recouped via increate in Council Tax and generally increase in house prices.
    I agree it isn't without its difficulties but there has to be a point when change comes and there will always be reasons to postpone, delay and cancel.

I think more than just changing the way we build houses we would be modernising our landscape and creating homes that people will use and adapt physically, and with greater ease, to their lifestyle. It could be the ultimate in self choice and unique for each family.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,575Posts Today

4,602Users online

Martin's Twitter