Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • interstellaflyer
    • By interstellaflyer 21st Sep 16, 2:28 PM
    • 1,411Posts
    • 824Thanks
    interstellaflyer
    HP firmware updates
    • 21st Sep 16, 2:28 PM
    HP firmware updates 21st Sep 16 at 2:28 PM
    https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/sep/20/hp-inkjet-printers-unofficial-cartridges-software-update

Bad news for people who use compatible or remanufactured cartridges in certain HP Officejet printers. From what I can tell, the machines affected are those that use 932/933, 934/935 and 950/951 cartridges as these were the ranges affected by the previous firmware update plus these fit current machines. Only advice I can give is when installing a new printer of any brand, read through every message during the set up there will usually be a message with a check box asking you to check/uncheck to receive/not receive updates, if you intend to use remanufactured or compatible cartridges, make sure it is set not to accept updates, you don't need them anyway.
    I hate football and do wish people wouldn't keep talking about it like it's the most important thing in the world
Page 1
    • Fightsback
    • By Fightsback 21st Sep 16, 3:39 PM
    • 2,209 Posts
    • 1,228 Thanks
    Fightsback
    • 21st Sep 16, 3:39 PM
    • 21st Sep 16, 3:39 PM
    Simples folks, cross HP of your shopping list due to being consumer, wallet and environmentally unfriendly.

Ps can anyone tell me who Fulchester Rovers have in the next round of the Mr Clutch Cup ?
    Science isn't exact, it's only confidence within limits.
    • interstellaflyer
    • By interstellaflyer 21st Sep 16, 6:36 PM
    • 1,411 Posts
    • 824 Thanks
    interstellaflyer
    • 21st Sep 16, 6:36 PM
    • 21st Sep 16, 6:36 PM
    Simples folks, cross HP of your shopping list due to being consumer, wallet and environmentally unfriendly.

Ps can anyone tell me who Fulchester Rovers have in the next round of the Mr Clutch Cup ?
    Originally posted by Fightsback
    Crossing HP off your shopping list won't work as all the printer manufacturers play similar games and I posted this to help those who may be having problems with the offending machines, if you're not interested in the subject then why bother posting?
    I hate football and do wish people wouldn't keep talking about it like it's the most important thing in the world
    • kwikbreaks
    • By kwikbreaks 21st Sep 16, 7:02 PM
    • 8,208 Posts
    • 4,066 Thanks
    kwikbreaks
    • 21st Sep 16, 7:02 PM
    • 21st Sep 16, 7:02 PM
    It's true that Espson have done this too but I'm not aware of others doing so. Voting with your wallet imo is a very sensible response along with making as much of a slash of your decision as you can (multi site postings, reviews, etc.etc.)
    • interstellaflyer
    • By interstellaflyer 21st Sep 16, 7:20 PM
    • 1,411 Posts
    • 824 Thanks
    interstellaflyer
    • 21st Sep 16, 7:20 PM
    • 21st Sep 16, 7:20 PM
    It's true that Espson have done this too but I'm not aware of others doing so. Voting with your wallet imo is a very sensible response along with making as much of a slash of your decision as you can (multi site postings, reviews, etc.etc.)
    Originally posted by kwikbreaks
    I work within the industry and they all do it
    • Hellybob
    • By Hellybob 21st Sep 16, 10:11 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Hellybob
    • 21st Sep 16, 10:11 PM
    • 21st Sep 16, 10:11 PM
    They think it relates to an update in March. I haven't had a firmware update for my HP 8620 for ages and then his week it says my cartridges are damaged.

I'm nearly there downgrading the firmware to resolve it but I just can't seem to get there......any help would be welcome.
    • S0litaire
    • By S0litaire 21st Sep 16, 11:04 PM
    • 3,172 Posts
    • 1,994 Thanks
    S0litaire
    • 21st Sep 16, 11:04 PM
    • 21st Sep 16, 11:04 PM
    My HP printer is running fine with compatible ink cartridges.
    Guess they were not targeting the "all in one" printers...
    Laters

Sol

"Have you found the secrets of the universe? Asked Zebade "I'm sure I left them here somewhere"
    • Big Graeme
    • By Big Graeme 21st Sep 16, 11:37 PM
    • 3,171 Posts
    • 3,672 Thanks
    Big Graeme
    • 21st Sep 16, 11:37 PM
    • 21st Sep 16, 11:37 PM
    Unless you have a problem why the need to update firmware?
    • S0litaire
    • By S0litaire 22nd Sep 16, 1:38 AM
    • 3,172 Posts
    • 1,994 Thanks
    S0litaire
    • 22nd Sep 16, 1:38 AM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 1:38 AM
    Originally posted by Big Graeme
    If the is web enabled it can update itself automatically.
    Laters

Sol

"Have you found the secrets of the universe? Asked Zebade "I'm sure I left them here somewhere"
    • interstellaflyer
    • By interstellaflyer 22nd Sep 16, 8:47 AM
    • 1,411 Posts
    • 824 Thanks
    interstellaflyer
    My HP printer is running fine with compatible ink cartridges.
    Guess they were not targeting the "all in one" printers...
    Originally posted by S0litaire
    All the printers in the Officejet range are 'all in one', in fact the vast majority of inkjet printers are 'all in one' these days. Unless your printer is an Officejet machine using the cartridges I mentioned then it's unlikely to affect you.
    Last edited by interstellaflyer; 22-09-2016 at 10:25 AM.
    • bod1467
    • By bod1467 22nd Sep 16, 8:54 AM
    • 14,740 Posts
    • 13,381 Thanks
    bod1467
    Mine uses HP 364 inks and seems to run fine with Jarbo inks ... so far anyway.
    Got a Parking Charge Notice (parking ticket - IT'S NOT A FINE!)? Go here for further info ...
    Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Motoring > Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking >
    ... and click on the NEWBIES sticky thread (4816822)
    Please do not PM me for help - I will not offer help via PM.
    • interstellaflyer
    • By interstellaflyer 22nd Sep 16, 8:54 AM
    • 1,411 Posts
    • 824 Thanks
    interstellaflyer
    Originally posted by Big Graeme
    You don't, however, like I mentioned, if you have agreed to accepting updates during the installation process, either by checking or unchecking a box, then you will receive updates automatically when they are released.
    • interstellaflyer
    • By interstellaflyer 22nd Sep 16, 8:57 AM
    • 1,411 Posts
    • 824 Thanks
    interstellaflyer
    Mine uses HP 364 inks and seems to run fine with Jarbo inks ... so far anyway.
    Originally posted by bod1467
    Only the cartridges mentioned in my opening post are affected.
    • bod1467
    • By bod1467 22nd Sep 16, 8:58 AM
    • 14,740 Posts
    • 13,381 Thanks
    bod1467
    Do printers update themselves (e.g. WiFi connected ones), or do they still need a PC to push the firmware update?

If the latter, would stopping the HP updater service (or whatever it is called) and setting it to Disabled prevent this happening? (For those who opted for updates during the installer process).
    Got a Parking Charge Notice (parking ticket - IT'S NOT A FINE!)? Go here for further info ...
    Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Motoring > Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking >
    ... and click on the NEWBIES sticky thread (4816822)
    Please do not PM me for help - I will not offer help via PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,980Posts Today

7,768Users online

Martin's Twitter