Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • hanb
    • By hanb 21st Sep 16, 2:11 PM
    • 370Posts
    • 879Thanks
    hanb
    flooring options
    • 21st Sep 16, 2:11 PM
    flooring options 21st Sep 16 at 2:11 PM
    Hi all,

Without wanting to bombard the forum, I do have another question I'm hoping someone might be able to help me with.

We've just moved in to our house and the previous owners took up the carpets and stripped the floorboards. They've not done the best job and haven't sanded it all well/at all in places and there's a number of varying size holes dotted around the place. There are also many gaps between the boards that are much wider than a £1 coin or two. There's also a couple that have been replaced with nowhere near the same looking wood.

We really like the idea of floorboards but think that repairing all the issues of the ones we have would be costly and time consuming. So we're thinking of replacing them all for a better quality (front room, dining room, hallway and main bedroom have them although downstairs is worse - stairs, upstairs hall and 2 bedrooms are carpeted).

I can't seem to work out who to speak to for pricing. Ideally we'd like to know the cost and time implications of fixing what we have, replacing what we have with more floorboards and putting wooden flooring/carpet over the top (would rather not if we can afford another option) for a comparison.

Does anyone here have similar experience or have an idea of the cost differences between the options? Or know who I should be speaking to - or is it a case of multiple people with their different flooring specialities?

Apologies if this is a daft question! Everyone I've asked just says they have no idea.

If it makes a difference, the living/dining room is about 24' x 11' and the bedroom about 14' x 12'. The hall would be about 24' x 3' (ish!).
Page 1
    • flashg67
    • By flashg67 21st Sep 16, 7:50 PM
    • 1,845 Posts
    • 1,206 Thanks
    flashg67
    • 21st Sep 16, 7:50 PM
    • 21st Sep 16, 7:50 PM
    Just off the top of my head, I'd say multiple trades needed - builder / joiner to quote for the replacement floorboards option, and a flooring company for the wooden/carpet option?
    I'd say if you're covering it up, you don't need to do much if the current floor is reasonably sound. I've carpeted over some pretty chewed up floorboards with no noticeable problems
    • rosie383
    • By rosie383 22nd Sep 16, 10:05 AM
    • 4,616 Posts
    • 10,074 Thanks
    rosie383
    • 22nd Sep 16, 10:05 AM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 10:05 AM
    Give a wee bit of consideration to what is underneath the floorboards.
    We moved last September into a house which had gross carpets which we lifted due to the dampness in the house. This meant that we ended up with a very cold house for the winter as there is a cavity under the floor. You could feel the draughts coming up everywhere and it was impossible to heat the house properly.
    We ended up putting a good quality laminate down in the living/dining room and hall. Tiles with underfloor heating went into the new build extension.
    The other option was to lift all of the floorboards, many of which probably would have been too damaged and would have needed to be replaced, then insulate under the floor and return the floorboards.
    Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
    • FreeBear
    • By FreeBear 22nd Sep 16, 11:40 AM
    • 540 Posts
    • 1,102 Thanks
    FreeBear
    • 22nd Sep 16, 11:40 AM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 11:40 AM
    The other option was to lift all of the floorboards, many of which probably would have been too damaged and would have needed to be replaced, then insulate under the floor and return the floorboards.
    Originally posted by rosie383
    I'm in a similar situation - Old floor boards with gaps & damage around the ones that had been lifted in the past (for installation of electrics & gas). Also considered lifting all of them, but as they are tongue & groove boards, it would mean having to take all the skirting boards off and probably damaging all the floor boards as they were lifted. With only 3" joists, the amount of insulation that could be put in would be limited without adversely affecting the underfloor ventilation. Instead, I have opted for 5mm wood fibre boards on top, then a layer of good quality foam underlay and carpet. Will find out if this is worthwhile come winter.
    So many cats, so few good recipes.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.

£2 Savers Club (No. 73) - £226 ______ £1 jar - £207
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

401Posts Today

3,563Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Morning. On way to @gmb for 7:40 slot, this week warning to parents about student finance, get paid to cut debt costs, free cafe nero & more

• RT @purplemel75: @MartinSLewis Thanks for the #BigSwitch I've saved £424 by switching tariff!

• Today's twitter poll: If a cheap clothing store admitted under 12s in foreign factories made their clothes would it stop you buying?

• Follow Martin