Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • hanb
    • By hanb 21st Sep 16, 1:59 PM
    • 364Posts
    • 879Thanks
    hanb
    New washing machine and fridge freezer - recommendations?
    • 21st Sep 16, 1:59 PM
    New washing machine and fridge freezer - recommendations? 21st Sep 16 at 1:59 PM
    Hi all,

Having finally completed on our first house we're now looking to replace the (gross!) washing machine that was left behind and to get a new fridge freezer.

Having looked on the usual sites I'm getting a bit blurry eyed with all the choice!

Does anyone have any recommendations for brands, models or even where to buy them from? Currys have a sale and we can get 10% employee discount from Tesco so have mostly been looking at those sites.

We're very lucky in that family are buying them as house warming presents so although they've said 'get the best you can so they last for years' I don't want to take the p*ss and ask for something stupidly expensive if it won't actually be that much better than a more mid-range one.

Any recommendations would be very much appreciated!
Page 1
    • sillygoose
    • By sillygoose 21st Sep 16, 2:38 PM
    • 3,487 Posts
    • 2,973 Thanks
    sillygoose
    • 21st Sep 16, 2:38 PM
    • 21st Sep 16, 2:38 PM
    I would say for the fridge freezer shop more on price or even a budget brand. There isn't a lot to go wrong comparatively with just a compressor (and a fan or two if its frost free) to go wrong so not a lot of 'moving parts' I would buy on the size and interior you like, always go for frost-free models, the fan air circulation gives a much more even cooling inside and frozen food that is easy to separate as its dry. LG make some well designed and put together models.

I would spend bigger on the washing machine, more moving parts, mixed with water means lots more to go wrong. Don't get hung up on spin speeds, some brands push to higher spin speeds to put impressive numbers on the box but it just means more wear and tear on the mechanics and each 200rpm increase often means clothes are a mere 4% drier.
    A Bosch is worth the cost for a long life and great performance, in my opinion buying less is false economy. Look for model with EcoSilence drives, fantastically quiet and efficient machines, my one even has a self cleaning detergent drawer using jets of waster so no more clumps of dried detergent or musky compartments.

Some of the big name online sellers are not as cheap as they would like you to think, keep an eye on John Lewis who often bulk buy a special Bosch model and sell it at a good price. You also get more warranty.
    • Chanes
    • By Chanes 21st Sep 16, 3:53 PM
    • 449 Posts
    • 267 Thanks
    Chanes
    • 21st Sep 16, 3:53 PM
    • 21st Sep 16, 3:53 PM
    We bought a Miele washing machine and a Bosch fridge freezer. 22 years ago. They are both working fine.

John Lewis have some own badge goods and I think AEG make them for them and they give a long guarantee if I remember correctly.
    • ryder72
    • By ryder72 21st Sep 16, 3:57 PM
    • 922 Posts
    • 574 Thanks
    ryder72
    • 21st Sep 16, 3:57 PM
    • 21st Sep 16, 3:57 PM
    Miele for Laundry and Liebherr for refrigeration.

They will last a long time, The washing machine will save you money in water/detergent and look after your clothes. The fridge will save you electricity, keep your food fresher for longer and all of this goes towards becoming more cost effective in the long term.

Dont forget you get what you pay for and in 15 years time you will thank yourself for spending your money wisely.

Cheap never equates to value.
    Weíve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if youíre unsure why itís been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • sillygoose
    • By sillygoose 21st Sep 16, 4:25 PM
    • 3,487 Posts
    • 2,973 Thanks
    sillygoose
    • 21st Sep 16, 4:25 PM
    • 21st Sep 16, 4:25 PM

Cheap never equates to value.
    Originally posted by ryder72
    Although more expensive doesn't always equate to quality.
    • Huskyrunner
    • By Huskyrunner 21st Sep 16, 4:27 PM
    • 314 Posts
    • 330 Thanks
    Huskyrunner
    • 21st Sep 16, 4:27 PM
    • 21st Sep 16, 4:27 PM
    re washing machines get a samsung one we have had ours 5 year not a pick of bother with it
    debts 16719 on dmp with cccs
    Survey earnings/Cashback since/money back off items 4-6-16 £45.50
    Mortgage 69900
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 21st Sep 16, 6:34 PM
    • 25,561 Posts
    • 15,468 Thanks
    getmore4less
    • 21st Sep 16, 6:34 PM
    • 21st Sep 16, 6:34 PM
    DO a matrix of spec features to narrow down your choices
    Look carefully at things like spin efficiency not speed.

The prices change all the time with the various sales discounts and cashbacks can be £100s on the same machine so can be a waiting game.
    if not on sale today it will be soon.

look on somewhere like pricespy(but check it gets the prices wrong sometimes) Currys can often be the cheapest and AO often come out OK and have good delivery.

We ended up with a Bosch
    Some of the Beko models are very well featured for the money.
    Curry only there is Grundig(beko clones) with 5year warrenty
    http://www.grundig.co.uk/laundry-appliances/washing-machines
    we went for their heatpump tumble dryer and had to wait a couple of weeks for stock and the sale to kick in.

Models are changing all the time and some are custom for a shop so when you narrow down you will find that a few machines are very similar or even the same just different numbers.
    Last edited by getmore4less; 21-09-2016 at 6:37 PM.
    • hanb
    • By hanb 21st Sep 16, 6:49 PM
    • 364 Posts
    • 879 Thanks
    hanb
    • 21st Sep 16, 6:49 PM
    • 21st Sep 16, 6:49 PM
    Thanks all! Really helpful, who knew there were so many options! And such a vast price range!
    • Cisco001
    • By Cisco001 22nd Sep 16, 12:28 PM
    • 2,392 Posts
    • 1,015 Thanks
    Cisco001
    • 22nd Sep 16, 12:28 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 12:28 PM
    i don't know much about fridge, but one feature I always want is open door alert...
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 24th Sep 16, 7:20 AM
    • 25,561 Posts
    • 15,468 Thanks
    getmore4less
    http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/samsung-ecobubble-wf80f5e2w4x-washing-machine-graphite-8kg-5-years-warranty-339-2515692
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

139Posts Today

1,412Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • If you know you're bust you must declare it asap. So no firm ever says "yes we plan to go insolvent". So you never? https://t.co/w8aIKOqHzq

• Some people misreading... it's NOT the rumours of insolvency of the Monarchy! Its Monarch airlines (again tho I've no idea of its validity)

• Also re #monarchinsolvency rumours it's important to state Monarch are firmly denying it... https://t.co/N27MENRjY9

• Follow Martin