Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Honda2ner
    • By Honda2ner 21st Sep 16, 1:21 PM
    • 12Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Honda2ner
    MSE wrongly advertising the energy club again
    • 21st Sep 16, 1:21 PM
    MSE wrongly advertising the energy club again 21st Sep 16 at 1:21 PM
    I know Martin is over exuberant most of the time but when it comes to advertising the MSE Energy Club he needs to be more accurate. There are sections of the latest email that aren't true, breach the MSE editorial code and all to plug the Energy Club that MSE makes profit from, which stinks.

Martin, be as exuberant as you like when you aren't making a profit from something but when you are you need to rein in the enthusiasm and be 100% accurate.

Making unequivocal statements like "there are many other tariffs that will still save many £100s" is wrong, the Energy Club has no tariffs that will save me money. Bizarrely the email contradicts itself later on by admitting that the Energy Club might not save consumers money, so why did it say that it will?

Could it be because the link to the highly profitable Energy Club is in the same paragraph as the untrue claims (it is) and profit over rules the truth at MSE?
Page 1
    • victor2
    • By victor2 21st Sep 16, 1:32 PM
    • 4,444 Posts
    • 2,953 Thanks
    victor2
    • 21st Sep 16, 1:32 PM
    • 21st Sep 16, 1:32 PM
    From the same email:
    A new era starts today at MoneySavingExpert. Last week's email was the last Martin's Money Tips. Today, it's MSE's Money Tips, as after 13 years writing this email week in and week out, I've handed over day-to-day responsibility to Jason Mills, MSE's talented new Editor in Chief.
    Martin sold his soul MSE to MoneySupermarket in 2012 for a cool £87m.
    It's just another profit making business now, so treat its claims such as "cheaper than the cheapest" just like you would any other company advert.
    • Rola_cola
    • By Rola_cola 21st Sep 16, 1:52 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    Rola_cola
    • 21st Sep 16, 1:52 PM
    • 21st Sep 16, 1:52 PM
    Making unequivocal statements like "there are many other tariffs that will still save many £100s" is wrong, the Energy Club has no tariffs that will save me money. Bizarrely the email contradicts itself later on by admitting that the Energy Club might not save consumers money, so why did it say that it
    Originally posted by Honda2ner
    I haven't read the email but from what you've quoted I can't see any contradiction. "There are many other tariffs that will still save MANY £100s" - I don't think you can see this is untrue on the basis that it doesn't save you hundreds, you are not many. I'd have agreed if he'd said it would save everyone £100s...
    • MSE Archna
    • By MSE Archna 21st Sep 16, 10:23 PM
    • 1,872 Posts
    • 5,995 Thanks
    MSE Archna
    • 21st Sep 16, 10:23 PM
    • 21st Sep 16, 10:23 PM
    These posts make me sad

The reality is the vast majority (70% according to the CMA) can save hundreds yet don't switch - it's our job to help people to do that. These are the cheapest tariffs in the market but as we say prices depend on postcode and usage and you need to do a comparison to check. We don't let people switch without doing a full market comparison...

If you do a comparison and find you can't save, job done. If you do a comparison and can save, job done.

Yes, we do make money from people switching but we give half back to users who switch via CEC because we want to.

I've worked at MSE for over ten years now, from the beginning through the sale to MSM and can proudly say our intention to put users first is the same as it's always been. Profit would never over rule the truth, otherwise I wouldn't still be here nor would the rest of the team. Martin is still around, we have a fantastic MD, a brilliant new editor in chief and a senior team that all believe in the editorial code (which has not been breached in any way here).

If you don't want to believe me, fair enough but I had to give my insider's view.

Right, back to Bake Off...
    Report inappropriate posts: forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Cardew
    • By Cardew 21st Sep 16, 11:10 PM
    • 25,737 Posts
    • 12,336 Thanks
    Cardew
    • 21st Sep 16, 11:10 PM
    • 21st Sep 16, 11:10 PM
    I do find some of the criticisms of MSE rather tedious.

The purpose of MSE was always to make a profit - how else would the staff get paid. However IMO it provides the best money saving advice available on the web, and the forum is an endless source of advice - mainly accurate advice!

Making unequivocal statements like "there are many other tariffs that will still save many £100s" is wrong, the Energy Club has no tariffs that will save me money. Bizarrely the email contradicts itself later on by admitting that the Energy Club might not save consumers money, so why did it say that it will?
    Do you really think that the opening sentence is intended to deceive? Semantics rule!
    • tomthered
    • By tomthered 22nd Sep 16, 10:34 AM
    • 176 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    tomthered
    • 22nd Sep 16, 10:34 AM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 10:34 AM
    Also, the reason that it is so accurate, is that the members (customers) give their first hand opinions of different services/scenarios. Good luck to him making money but the site stills remains impartial as it always has done.
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 22nd Sep 16, 12:42 PM
    • 3,255 Posts
    • 12,088 Thanks
    indesisiv
    • 22nd Sep 16, 12:42 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 12:42 PM
    Making unequivocal statements like "there are many other tariffs that will still save many £100s" is wrong, the Energy Club has no tariffs that will save me money.
    Originally posted by Honda2ner
    What you have to remember is that, that is your specific circumstance.
    The Energy Club provided me with a tariff cheaper than the collective switch tariff and cheaper than the one I was on.
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

240Posts Today

1,398Users online

Martin's Twitter