Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 21st Sep 16, 1:03 PM
    • 13,078Posts
    • 120,521Thanks
    mardatha
    Coffee
    • 21st Sep 16, 1:03 PM
    Coffee 21st Sep 16 at 1:03 PM
    post deleted
    Last edited by mardatha; 21-09-2016 at 1:18 PM.
Page 3
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 22nd Sep 16, 8:11 PM
    • 13,078 Posts
    • 120,521 Thanks
    mardatha
    I'm not very well this week so won't make it to an actual shop, so have just put some ground coffee on the Sainsbugs online shop for this weekend. I will maybe get a sample pack from one of the big websites as well Sorted!
    • Anne_Marie
    • By Anne_Marie 22nd Sep 16, 9:39 PM
    • 1,888 Posts
    • 2,641 Thanks
    Anne_Marie
    Hasbean will ship roasted beans pretty much anywhere

https://www.hasbean.co.uk/pages/shipping
    Originally posted by boliston
    Thank you, will check it out.
    • nanny beach
    • By nanny beach 23rd Sep 16, 3:14 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    nanny beach
    coffee wont give you energy it will give you a caffine hit, if you dont like coffee why drink it!Especially gettin a fancy machine. If you are using it to keept you awake on the night shift refrain! One of my colleagues did (highly qualified medic) ended up on the coronary unit, with severe palpitations, thinking it was a heart attack, it also makes you jittery.Use some slow release carbs at the beginning of a shift, take it from one who knows 25 years of working nights.
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 23rd Sep 16, 7:10 PM
    • 13,078 Posts
    • 120,521 Thanks
    mardatha
    Nannybeach, I did 30 years on nights, never had palpitations - although my hubby only needs one cup of coffee to give him them. I didn't ever drink enough to make me jittery, only a max of 2 cups a night. But I had bad ME, at the end I was like the walking dead lol so I think it would've taken a stick of dynamite to get me moving!
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 23rd Sep 16, 9:00 PM
    • 2,097 Posts
    • 27,036 Thanks
    monnagran
    I have never had to work night's so hav never used coffee to keep me awake.
    On the other hand I adore coffee and have drunk it in prefence to tea for the last 60 years, ever since i went off to college.
    At one time someone convinced me that I was addicted and that i would have dreadful withdrawal symptoms if I stopped. So I stopped and sure enough I had a bit of a headache the next day, but that was all. I stopped drinking coffee for two years but succumbed to the irresistible smell of of brewing coffee while out shopping.
    I waited for the palpitations and edginess that had been predicted. Nothing. Just the annoyance that I had wasted all that time without my favourite drink.

Now I am well past my three score and ten years and drink coffee all the time. I enjoy it as much now as I ever did. If it is doing me irreparable harm, as I am told, I think it should have shown up before now.

Tough as old boots, me.

x
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 23rd Sep 16, 10:32 PM
    • 13,078 Posts
    • 120,521 Thanks
    mardatha
    One of the few joys of old age ... we are past bloody caring! lol
    • Anne_Marie
    • By Anne_Marie 24th Sep 16, 1:17 AM
    • 1,888 Posts
    • 2,641 Thanks
    Anne_Marie
    Totally agree Monnogran and Mardatha, who cares, there's a lot worse things that we could be taking than coffee.
    I did only once suffer with increased heartbeat and dizziness, got quite a fright, but my friend who had made the coffee knew exactly what it was. Her morning coffee was extra strong, 16 tablespoons for two coffees! I treated her coffee like diluting juice after that, a little in the cup topped up with water from the kettle.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 24th Sep 16, 7:02 AM
    • 9,935 Posts
    • 48,237 Thanks
    kittie
    I started drinking coffee after my husband died, just one morning cup a day and using a nespresso machine. I have bought the pods since then and still have dozens, then I got a reality check when I realised the price I was paying for a mediocre coffee. The pods and machine are tucked away for now but will come out for family gatherings and the pods will be used over time

I decided to treat myself to a burr grinder and a good coffee machine, they arrived two weeks ago and wow what a difference. I grind the beans when I want the coffee, it is just a matter of putting that round thingie under the grinder and pressing a button. I get the right amount of grinds, I tamp them down and make my coffee.

I am using beans from amazon, with fab reviews. Absolutely wonderful smooth low acidity and non bitter taste. They are called 360 rundum ehrlich
    • coffeehound
    • By coffeehound 24th Sep 16, 9:28 AM
    • 276 Posts
    • 482 Thanks
    coffeehound
    Drinking real coffee has been shown to offer multiple health benefits, so don't assume it's a guilty habit!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/17/coffee-health-benefits_n_4102133.html

This is talking about real coffee though, not instant. The more recently roasted and freshly ground, the better, as far as antioxidants goes at least. Plus it tastes better. The nice thing about buying coffee beans direct from an artisan roaster is that they will have been roasted just a day or two earlier and so are super-fresh.
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 24th Sep 16, 11:04 AM
    • 13,078 Posts
    • 120,521 Thanks
    mardatha
    I got some ground from the Co-op yesterday - Hot Lava Java from some company in Harrogate. It's gorgeous, will get pods next to try as an experiment. It revived me this morning when I fainted after slamming my finger in the damn wardrobe door lol
    • Anne_Marie
    • By Anne_Marie 24th Sep 16, 12:15 PM
    • 1,888 Posts
    • 2,641 Thanks
    Anne_Marie
    Think that you're turning into a coffee addict Mardatha.

I hope that you won't be disappointed with the ESE pods, so advise you to buy a small quantity in a coffee that you already like to compare the difference in taste and freshness.
    My machine is different to yours, but does have a basket for the ESE pods. In truth, I don't think that I will ever use it. I have in the past tried the pods, think it must have been free samples and wasn't too impressed, although it could well have been a terrible coffee in the first place. Suffice to say, it was enough to put me off, especially as they are more expensive than buying beans or ready ground. I find it quite cathartic to go through the grinding and making a fresh coffee (well 2 actually) every morning.

Thing is we are all different in our preferred tastes for coffee, as I was quite surprised there to see that you enjoyed Java, going by your initial posts. Years ago, I always had a preference for Old Brown Java from Braithewaite's, but in my recent testings, discovered that I preferred a very expensive Blue Mountain, Columbian and Mocha varieties, so can only assume that my tastes have changed over the years.Not that the Java was bad, I still enjoyed it, but not as much as the others.
    • Biggles
    • By Biggles 24th Sep 16, 2:06 PM
    • 6,796 Posts
    • 4,234 Thanks
    Biggles
    I got some ground from the Co-op yesterday - Hot Lava Java from some company in Harrogate.
    Originally posted by mardatha
    Taylor's. It is nice, as is the same firm's Lazy Sunday.
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 24th Sep 16, 2:52 PM
    • 13,078 Posts
    • 120,521 Thanks
    mardatha
    I'm too much of a moneysaver to buy regular pods, it's just for an experiment to say that I did it. Aye... you can tell I lead a quiet boring life eh! lol. At work I liked arabica but not a clue what difference there is between that and the Java stuff. I've never taken more than 2 cups a day though as it gives me heartburn if I have more. So addiction is a long way off yet...
    • freyasmum
    • By freyasmum 24th Sep 16, 4:23 PM
    • 16,490 Posts
    • 47,077 Thanks
    freyasmum
    I have a feeling that I'll be swiftly kicked off this thread (and possibly even MSE) for what I'm about to say

I'm not a big coffee drinker but in my business, I use coffee bags. Apparently they're as good as a decent filter coffee, but they're individually wrapped and each bag makes a cup. They're about 14p a cup on offer - not cheap, but I feel it's better for them to be individually wrapped for my purposes (more hygienic and stays fresher longer).

My mum likes milicano.
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 24th Sep 16, 5:32 PM
    • 13,078 Posts
    • 120,521 Thanks
    mardatha
    Nobody's going to be kicked off for giving me ideas abour coffee I didn't even know you could get coffee bags! I will have a look next time I get to a shop.
    • Anne_Marie
    • By Anne_Marie 24th Sep 16, 6:05 PM
    • 1,888 Posts
    • 2,641 Thanks
    Anne_Marie
    Mardatha, I am no expert on coffees, but from what I can gather, there are two main types of commercially grown coffee, Arabica and Robusta. Java is the country in which the coffee you had was grown, and could well be made with Arabica beans. As for wanting to try the pods, nowt wrong with that at all, you never know what you like and don't like if you don't try. You may find that it's just your thing, or not.

Would be too expensive for me, as I do drink a lot of coffee, added to that, doubt I would be able to get the pods here, certainly never seen them. Even instant coffee is expensive here, over £9 for a 200g packet for the freeze dried stuff. Think last time I bought coffee beans here, I was around £30 for a kilo.

Freyasmum, remember buying bags like teabags many years ago. They were handy for taking to work, until I got a rather nifty little cafetiere mug. No idea what happened to that one, or even if you can still get them. Still messier than bags though.
    • Slowly57
    • By Slowly57 24th Sep 16, 6:40 PM
    • 71 Posts
    • 353 Thanks
    Slowly57
    I have a feeling that I'll be swiftly kicked off this thread (and possibly even MSE) for what I'm about to say

I'm not a big coffee drinker but in my business, I use coffee bags. Apparently they're as good as a decent filter coffee, but they're individually wrapped and each bag makes a cup. They're about 14p a cup on offer - not cheap, but I feel it's better for them to be individually wrapped for my purposes (more hygienic and stays fresher longer).

My mum likes milicano.
    Originally posted by freyasmum
    Well, most of the coffee chains seem to use them for decaff option!
    How decadent LMAO
    getting my ducks in a row and my parachute ready Oct GC £65.43 / £200 28/9/16 - 26/10/16
    Saved nearly £100 each on car + home insurance 2016 by telling my insurer about better quotes elsewhere - feeling assertive - yay!
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 24th Sep 16, 7:28 PM
    • 3,619 Posts
    • 12,005 Thanks
    Slinky
    I seem to recall reading something about coffee pods being environmentally unfriendly as they can't be recycled?
    • ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    • By ididntgetwhereiamtoday 24th Sep 16, 7:40 PM
    • 773 Posts
    • 645 Thanks
    ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    The coffee bags are on sale in home bargains. I think they are £1.50 for 20. They are nice.
    I didn't get where i am today by not reading moneysavingexpert.com
    • Mr_Singleton
    • By Mr_Singleton 24th Sep 16, 7:40 PM
    • 518 Posts
    • 817 Thanks
    Mr_Singleton
    I use coffee bags They're about 14p a cup on offer - not cheap, but I feel it's better for them to be individually wrapped for my purposes (more hygienic and stays fresher longer).
    Originally posted by freyasmum
    Meh!

Now wash your hands
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,452Posts Today

8,044Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's twitter poll: What proportion of your usual monthly spending do you do in cash (ie not plastic, bank transfer, cheque etc)

• RT @GemmaRobyn: @MartinSLewis my parents earned +£50k but it didn't mean they could afford to help. I worked 2 jobs at uni to get by. Why b?

• RT @JackieMutlow: @MartinSLewis @GMB Daughters loans not enough we pay 2 months rent a year (2x £410) AND £250 a month for food, train etc?

• Follow Martin