Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 21st Sep 16, 1:03 PM
    • 13,078Posts
    • 120,518Thanks
    mardatha
    Coffee
    • 21st Sep 16, 1:03 PM
    Coffee 21st Sep 16 at 1:03 PM
    post deleted
    Last edited by mardatha; 21-09-2016 at 1:18 PM.
Page 2
    • Slowly57
    • By Slowly57 21st Sep 16, 6:45 PM
    • 71 Posts
    • 345 Thanks
    Slowly57
    We have a fancy-pants whooosh-fizz machine - courtesy of the folks who bought someone who didn't drink coffee one for a wedding present (and then they put it on eBay). This led to the purchase of a TKMaxx bean grinder - but that's the end of the gee-gaws and gadgets.

Makes fab coffee and makes the kitchen smell gorgeous mmmm.
    getting my ducks in a row and my parachute ready Oct GC £65.43 / £200 28/9/16 - 26/10/16
    Saved nearly £100 each on car + home insurance 2016 by telling my insurer about better quotes elsewhere - feeling assertive - yay!
    • Slowly57
    • By Slowly57 21st Sep 16, 6:49 PM
    • 71 Posts
    • 345 Thanks
    Slowly57
    oooh - and I think Lush do coffee bean things ,,,,,
    getting my ducks in a row and my parachute ready Oct GC £65.43 / £200 28/9/16 - 26/10/16
    Saved nearly £100 each on car + home insurance 2016 by telling my insurer about better quotes elsewhere - feeling assertive - yay!
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 21st Sep 16, 8:20 PM
    • 2,097 Posts
    • 27,032 Thanks
    monnagran
    Oooooh, slowly, Lush coffee beany thingies sound...er .......lush.

I had forgotten chocolate coffee beans. How could I? My two most favouritest flavours in one more-ish package.

Mar, if you want sweet coffee there is a product that is just the job. You simply stir a spoonful into any old coffee you happen to have hanging around and Hey Presto, sweet coffee.
    I'll give it some thought. I'm sure the name of it will come back to me.

I'm getting silly. Don't encourage me.

x
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • Anne_Marie
    • By Anne_Marie 21st Sep 16, 8:36 PM
    • 1,888 Posts
    • 2,641 Thanks
    Anne_Marie
    Is there a local tea/coffee merchant in your area? If so, might be worth going in and getting some sample sizes of various different coffees to try out to see what you like best. I did this a couple of months ago when back in Scotland (Braithewaites in Dundee), to bring some decent coffee back home with me, got them to grind the coffee samples, but brought beans back home with me, once I'd made up my mind.

Lidl's Columbian is actually quite good, and not at all bitter.

Funnily enough, I also bought a De Longhi machine, which I brought back here with me, love it.
    • topsyturphy
    • By topsyturphy 21st Sep 16, 8:43 PM
    • 1,076 Posts
    • 8,843 Thanks
    topsyturphy
    I too have a de longhi machine - use Taylor's of Harrogate rich Italian coffee beans as I like strong coffee but don't find this bitter. Not sure if they do pods of this though.
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 21st Sep 16, 9:12 PM
    • 13,078 Posts
    • 120,518 Thanks
    mardatha
    Doesnt have to be pods, it does ground coffee too. Thats one I was looking at, ty.
    Monna pet this is a no-sugar house. LOL - he is diabetic and I am a sugar addict!
    • Slowly57
    • By Slowly57 21st Sep 16, 9:30 PM
    • 71 Posts
    • 345 Thanks
    Slowly57
    Worth signing up to Whittard newsletters for their sales heads-up - they do a gift sampler of coffees of the world - 9 little boxes which are £20 now but I got for £10 in their sale.

They also do Mulled Wine Flavour Instant Tea which is totally addictive (looks away lol).
    • boliston
    • By boliston 21st Sep 16, 9:31 PM
    • 1,525 Posts
    • 1,099 Thanks
    boliston
    I deleted the original post because I thought nobody would answer or care about coffee lol - thank you!
    Originally posted by mardatha
    I once had a nightmare where I visited a town I was unfamiliar with and could not find anywhere that served a decent espresso.
    • ariarnia
    • By ariarnia 21st Sep 16, 10:22 PM
    • 909 Posts
    • 2,725 Thanks
    ariarnia
    There was a show recently - I can't remember if it was eat well for less...

They said there were only two types of coffee bean commonly used in the UK, and they could be roasted or ground in different ways to make something like 40 different varieties.

They then said how 'strong' the coffee was had very little to do with how much caffeine was actually in it - it's about how it's roasted and made.

The less 'strong' coffee could contain more actual caffeine, we just associate the stronger taste with being more 'potent'

ETA - this was interesting, as was the article down the page about how brewing methods change the taste of the coffee

https://www.kickinghorsecoffee.com/en/blog/caffeine-myths-dark-vs-light
    Almost everything will work again if you unplug it for a few minutes, including you. Anne Lamott

It's amazing how those with a can-do attitude and willingness to 'pitch in and work' get all the luck, isn't it?
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 21st Sep 16, 10:28 PM
    • 2,097 Posts
    • 27,032 Thanks
    monnagran
    Mar: SUGAR! That's what I was thinking of.

OK, no sugar then. The RV for medical reasons and you for self control reasons.

x
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 21st Sep 16, 10:35 PM
    • 17,060 Posts
    • 38,761 Thanks
    peachyprice
    I was looking for nice ground coffee or pods for my new yuppy machine! lol and then thought my god nobody is going to answer.. I love this forum lol
    What pods does it take?

If you can get Douwe Egberts for your machine, that's usually nice and smooth. They to ground too I believe.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • nosuperwoman
    • By nosuperwoman 22nd Sep 16, 7:19 AM
    • 14 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    nosuperwoman
    I'm a coffee snob but I try to limit myself to two small cafetieres in the morning. I have a metal one from tesco. I always buy Columbian ground coffee and at least 'rainforest alliance' certified if not fully fair trade. Lidl have some reasonably priced and sometimes Percol is on offer
    Never look for comfort food in a macrobiotic restaurant

• mardatha
    • By mardatha 22nd Sep 16, 10:10 AM
    • 13,078 Posts
    • 120,518 Thanks
    mardatha
    peachyprice its a De Longhi - this one:
    http://www.delonghi.com/en-au/products/coffee/coffee-makers/pump-espresso/icona-eco-310w-0132106056
    Says it uses ESE pods. It wasn't expensive, but I just loved the look of it.
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 22nd Sep 16, 10:20 AM
    • 2,097 Posts
    • 27,032 Thanks
    monnagran
    Wow Mar. That's impressive. I am GREEN.

I did it!!!!!
    • Ballymackeonan
    • By Ballymackeonan 22nd Sep 16, 12:28 PM
    • 591 Posts
    • 1,358 Thanks
    Ballymackeonan
    I'd agree that looking for a local coffee roaster and blender is the best choice! I'm lucky to have one - and to have had lots of samples. Some to watch out for are Peruvian (a personal favourite with a chocolate undertone) and a Viennese blend - this contains a bit of ground fig which gives some sweetness and softens the flavour. I also love Ethiopian Sidama, which you can get sometimes at Lidl.

Avoid Java or French (very dark) roast!
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 22nd Sep 16, 12:37 PM
    • 13,078 Posts
    • 120,518 Thanks
    mardatha
    I haven't got anything local but I am very impressed by you lot - never knew that coffee was so complicated! I think I'll try a sample pack from one of the big online sellers first. Sainsburys have a lot of ground coffee but I just wanted to try the pods to be posh.
    • Si Clist
    • By Si Clist 22nd Sep 16, 2:16 PM
    • 264 Posts
    • 1,857 Thanks
    Si Clist
    post deleted
    You're doing it again ...

A positive attitude might not solve all your problems, but it'll annoy enough people to make the effort worthwhile
    • Anne_Marie
    • By Anne_Marie 22nd Sep 16, 5:20 PM
    • 1,888 Posts
    • 2,641 Thanks
    Anne_Marie
    I haven't got anything local but I am very impressed by you lot - never knew that coffee was so complicated! I think I'll try a sample pack from one of the big online sellers first. Sainsburys have a lot of ground coffee but I just wanted to try the pods to be posh.
    No doubt the pods are a lot easier, just the same as a tea bag, so less mess, but you will pay more for the pods than you would buying beans or ground coffee. I go for beans and grind them, but then also have to buy ground coffee too, as there is not the choice or availability here...hence my precious 2 kg cargo in the freezer now.
    • boliston
    • By boliston 22nd Sep 16, 7:06 PM
    • 1,525 Posts
    • 1,099 Thanks
    boliston
    No doubt the pods are a lot easier, just the same as a tea bag, so less mess, but you will pay more for the pods than you would buying beans or ground coffee. I go for beans and grind them, but then also have to buy ground coffee too, as there is not the choice or availability here...hence my precious 2 kg cargo in the freezer now.
    Originally posted by Anne_Marie
    Hasbean will ship roasted beans pretty much anywhere

https://www.hasbean.co.uk/pages/shipping
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 22nd Sep 16, 7:37 PM
    • 3,725 Posts
    • 39,574 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    mar - At the moment i'm using Co-Op "Italian style" Fairtrade Ground coffee. It has a lovely smooth full flavour. I also love one of the Sainsbury's fairtrade TTD ones, I think it's the Ethiopian one.

Coffee shouldn't be bitter unless the water's too hot.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,879Posts Today

6,935Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's twitter poll: What proportion of your usual monthly spending do you do in cash (ie not plastic, bank transfer, cheque etc)

• RT @GemmaRobyn: @MartinSLewis my parents earned +£50k but it didn't mean they could afford to help. I worked 2 jobs at uni to get by. Why b?

• RT @JackieMutlow: @MartinSLewis @GMB Daughters loans not enough we pay 2 months rent a year (2x £410) AND £250 a month for food, train etc?

• Follow Martin