Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Andrewm
    • By Andrewm 21st Sep 16, 11:17 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Andrewm
    Running Balance Online.
    • 21st Sep 16, 11:17 AM
    Running Balance Online. 21st Sep 16 at 11:17 AM
    Is there a credit card with an online screen showing the running balance? It is much easier to manage the account to reduce outstanding credit with this facility. I have searched for this for some time. The bank based cards used to show it but then removed it. I believe the credit card companies do not show this as they would prefer us to be more in debt.
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 21st Sep 16, 11:23 AM
    • 8,700 Posts
    • 8,527 Thanks
    zx81
    • 21st Sep 16, 11:23 AM
    • 21st Sep 16, 11:23 AM
    I don't think I've any cards that DON'T show you your current balance.
    • Ebe Scrooge
    • By Ebe Scrooge 21st Sep 16, 11:28 AM
    • 3,109 Posts
    • 2,493 Thanks
    Ebe Scrooge
    • 21st Sep 16, 11:28 AM
    • 21st Sep 16, 11:28 AM
    Every card that I've ever used allows you to see the current balance. Or else you can phone them up, select the appropriate menu option and you'll get an automated voice telling you what the current balance is. I think you're a bit misguided in your "conspiracy theory".

Added to which, the simplest way to "reduce outstanding credit" is wait for the statement to arrive then pay it off, it's not exactly rocket science. And if you're struggling to pay the balance each month then I would question whether you ought to be using a credit card at all.
    I may not know much about art, but I know what I like.
    • molerat
    • By molerat 21st Sep 16, 11:46 AM
    • 14,626 Posts
    • 9,010 Thanks
    molerat
    • 21st Sep 16, 11:46 AM
    • 21st Sep 16, 11:46 AM
    2 of my 3 don't, they only show logged transactions balance. Santander (with a few clicks) and TSB show available balance (limit - logged and pending transactions) but only my MBNA shows outstanding balance - logged + pending transactions.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • dreaming
    • By dreaming 21st Sep 16, 12:17 PM
    • 415 Posts
    • 1,826 Thanks
    dreaming
    • 21st Sep 16, 12:17 PM
    • 21st Sep 16, 12:17 PM
    My Tesco card doesn't show "pending" transactions - sometimes for a few days. I did like that function with Santander but not enough to pay the increased fee which I couldn't cover with cashback. I just keep all receipts and log them on my own spreadsheet so I always have a running total.
    • Andrewm
    • By Andrewm 22nd Sep 16, 9:17 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Andrewm
    • 22nd Sep 16, 9:17 AM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 9:17 AM
    I use a credit card for the protection it gives me on deals over the internet, not for the purpose of getting credit.
    • Ebe Scrooge
    • By Ebe Scrooge 22nd Sep 16, 9:34 AM
    • 3,109 Posts
    • 2,493 Thanks
    Ebe Scrooge
    • 22nd Sep 16, 9:34 AM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 9:34 AM
    That's fair enough. In that case I wouldn't worry overly about being able to check the balance online. Buy an item, wait for the next statement to arrive, pay it off. You'll know what the balance is going to be if you keep track of your spending, and as long as you pay in full there'll be no interest.
    I may not know much about art, but I know what I like.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,872Posts Today

6,682Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @GemmaRobyn: @MartinSLewis my parents earned +£50k but it didn't mean they could afford to help. I worked 2 jobs at uni to get by. Why b?

• RT @JackieMutlow: @MartinSLewis @GMB Daughters loans not enough we pay 2 months rent a year (2x £410) AND £250 a month for food, train etc?

• Morning. On way to @gmb for 7:40 slot, this week warning to parents about student finance, get paid to cut debt costs, free cafe nero & more

• Follow Martin