Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Andrew Ryan 89
    • By Andrew Ryan 89 21st Sep 16, 10:33 AM
    • 347Posts
    • 205Thanks
    Andrew Ryan 89
    Boiler has broken. What's the best way forward?
    • 21st Sep 16, 10:33 AM
    Boiler has broken. What's the best way forward? 21st Sep 16 at 10:33 AM
    Hi guys, I have a Potterton Performa 24 HE Eco and I keep getting a Flame failure. We started getting this a few weeks ago and simply turning it off and on again worked but now it's not working at all and we have gone 2 days without hot water.

I have searched Google and haven't found any fixes that I can carry out myself. I called customer service and they said they can send someone out tomorrow and put me on a plan (around £36 per month). I wanted to know whether it was worth calling around and seeing if someone can get it fixed or if going on the plan was the better option?

Kind regards,
Page 1
    • Stevie Palimo
    • By Stevie Palimo 21st Sep 16, 10:36 AM
    • 2,553 Posts
    • 3,721 Thanks
    Stevie Palimo
    • 21st Sep 16, 10:36 AM
    • 21st Sep 16, 10:36 AM
    Look at what you can budget here if the boiler is not that old does having a care package amounting to over £400.00 a year warrant paying out or is it an older model that may need replacing soon.

I'd weigh this up first and then work out if it would be worth while fixing.
    " I refuse to censor myself because it may offend someone. If you don't like me that's ok, I don't need your approval. "
    • Andrew Ryan 89
    • By Andrew Ryan 89 21st Sep 16, 10:45 AM
    • 347 Posts
    • 205 Thanks
    Andrew Ryan 89
    • 21st Sep 16, 10:45 AM
    • 21st Sep 16, 10:45 AM
    Look at what you can budget here if the boiler is not that old does having a care package amounting to over £400.00 a year warrant paying out or is it an older model that may need replacing soon.

I'd weigh this up first and then work out if it would be worth while fixing.
    Originally posted by Stevie Palimo
    Thank you, that's a good point. Not too sure on the exact age but I found a spares part invoice (we recently moved in) dated 2007 so it's at least 10 years.

Just checked the below website. I had no idea the cost could be so much! Great timing, getting married this week and money is at a all time low. Looks like anything I do get as a monetary gift will go on this damn boiler!

http://www.theheatinghub.co.uk/boiler-guides/guide-to-boiler-installation-costs
    Last edited by Andrew Ryan 89; 21-09-2016 at 10:51 AM.
    • stator
    • By stator 21st Sep 16, 11:03 AM
    • 4,915 Posts
    • 3,107 Thanks
    stator
    • 21st Sep 16, 11:03 AM
    • 21st Sep 16, 11:03 AM
    Get an independent engineer to try and repair it. If you call a company they will probably tell you it's not worth fixing and try to sell you a new one.
    The manufacturer has probably stopped making spares but it might still be possible to get them second hand or from other suppliers.
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
    • JohnB47
    • By JohnB47 21st Sep 16, 2:06 PM
    • 639 Posts
    • 216 Thanks
    JohnB47
    • 21st Sep 16, 2:06 PM
    • 21st Sep 16, 2:06 PM
    I googled your boiler name and came up with this site that appears to have loads of spares - there are probably other sites. A good local engineer should be able to determine the problem and fit a replacement part for you:

http://www.boilersparesdirect.co.uk/parts-online/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=3528&cat=Potterton+PERF ORMA+24+ECO+HE
    • Andrew Ryan 89
    • By Andrew Ryan 89 21st Sep 16, 2:52 PM
    • 347 Posts
    • 205 Thanks
    Andrew Ryan 89
    • 21st Sep 16, 2:52 PM
    • 21st Sep 16, 2:52 PM
    Thanks for the help all. I looked at replacement boilers and labour and it looks like it's going to cost me £3k+. The manufacture are sending around an engineer tomorrow. They said for £30 a month, for 12 months, they'll fix it throughout the year. I decided to go for this option and on the side save up for a new boiler.

I also spoke to an professional who said it would cost at the very least around £120 to fix it (not including parts) but could be much more depending on the problem, so I thought the above option of £30 was not too bad.
    • Chanes
    • By Chanes 21st Sep 16, 3:49 PM
    • 463 Posts
    • 271 Thanks
    Chanes
    • 21st Sep 16, 3:49 PM
    • 21st Sep 16, 3:49 PM
    3k to replace a boiler? A straight one out and one in? That seems very expensive!
    • Andrew Ryan 89
    • By Andrew Ryan 89 22nd Sep 16, 1:31 PM
    • 347 Posts
    • 205 Thanks
    Andrew Ryan 89
    • 22nd Sep 16, 1:31 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 1:31 PM
    Well, looks like I got lucky. Engineer came round to look at the boiler but could do anything because of the housing it was in had to be taken apart. He told me it was most likley a pressure problem and I just had to twist a valve. He left than I took a look and noticed I could take the boiler housing apart.

Twisted a few valves, got the pressure up and now it's working without me having to pay anything.
    • Le_Kirk
    • By Le_Kirk 22nd Sep 16, 1:51 PM
    • 1,256 Posts
    • 609 Thanks
    Le_Kirk
    • 22nd Sep 16, 1:51 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 1:51 PM
    Hmm sounds like you had an in-depth training course there!! Despite the (possibly obvious) sarcasm there is a serious point to be made. What pressure did you increase? Gas, Water, Air? If it was gas, did you check that the flame was burning correctly and consuming all the gas or was it leaving some CO or CO2? I would be inclined to get someone in with a gas safe registration and have it checked.
    • Chanes
    • By Chanes 22nd Sep 16, 3:07 PM
    • 463 Posts
    • 271 Thanks
    Chanes
    Poking around inside a gas boiler and moving valves about sounds like madness to me! I would get someone Gas Safe registered to check it.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 22nd Sep 16, 3:47 PM
    • 5,137 Posts
    • 3,120 Thanks
    teddysmum
    Messing with a gas appliance is illegal if you aren't qualified.

I'm glad/hope I don't live near you and worry about the safety of your neighbours.
    • Ben84
    • By Ben84 22nd Sep 16, 10:33 PM
    • 2,833 Posts
    • 3,483 Thanks
    Ben84
    It may be one of those pressurised systems that need the water topped up with a filling loop every so often? My last house had one of these boilers, and the manufacturer's instructions recommended I do it when needed. Opening panels doesn't inevitably mean dangerous disassembly is going on either. My current house has a back boiler with a panel I can open, it's just on a catch and reveals various user controls - but taking it apart further would not be ok. I'm not adverse to doing some things with my boiler, there are various user controls to set water temperature and light the pilot under than panel - all intended for me to use, and in fact the manufacturer recommends I use them when needed. I just follow the user manual and don't do anything it doesn't recommend. So, unless we know what actually happened in better detail, it would be mistaken to assume it must have been dangerous because it involves opening some part of the boiler and/or adjusting something.

What does puzzle me is why did the engineer not manage to open the boiler?
    • Risteard
    • By Risteard 22nd Sep 16, 11:07 PM
    • 399 Posts
    • 131 Thanks
    Risteard
    Messing with a gas appliance is illegal if you aren't qualified.
    Originally posted by teddysmum
    Only if you do it for profit.

Messing with an electrical installation if not qualified is equally dangerous.
    • Andrew Ryan 89
    • By Andrew Ryan 89 24th Sep 16, 8:53 PM
    • 347 Posts
    • 205 Thanks
    Andrew Ryan 89
    ]It may be one of those pressurised systems that need the water topped up with a filling loop every so often? [/B]My last house had one of these boilers, and the manufacturer's instructions recommended I do it when needed. Opening panels doesn't inevitably mean dangerous disassembly is going on either. My current house has a back boiler with a panel I can open, it's just on a catch and reveals various user controls - but taking it apart further would not be ok. I'm not adverse to doing some things with my boiler, there are various user controls to set water temperature and light the pilot under than panel - all intended for me to use, and in fact the manufacturer recommends I use them when needed. I just follow the user manual and don't do anything it doesn't recommend. So, unless we know what actually happened in better detail, it would be mistaken to assume it must have been dangerous because it involves opening some part of the boiler and/or adjusting something.

What does puzzle me is why did the engineer not manage to open the boiler?
    by Ben84;71344803[B
    It was this, the water needed to be topped up. For those that are concerned, on their own website it shows you instructions on how to do it yourself and just ask that if you don't feel comfortable, get someone else to do it.

Well, he took a brief look at it and decided it wasn't worth the bother. I took a look and saw the screws, took them out and everything came off and went back together quite simply.
    • UrbanPlumners
    • By UrbanPlumners 25th Sep 16, 7:31 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    UrbanPlumners
    just get independent gas safe plumber that specializes in boiler repairs! I charge £70+Vat plus parts for most problems. (I am in London). Service plan will cost you £300 per year! Do not play with it yourself.
    • boliston
    • By boliston 25th Sep 16, 7:53 PM
    • 1,525 Posts
    • 1,099 Thanks
    boliston
    The very words "plan" would bring me out in a cold sweat lol
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

119Posts Today

1,199Users online

Martin's Twitter