Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • omega1987
    • By omega1987 21st Sep 16, 10:00 AM
    • 6Posts
    • 4Thanks
    omega1987
    leaving without working notice period
    • 21st Sep 16, 10:00 AM
    leaving without working notice period 21st Sep 16 at 10:00 AM
    Hello,

I'm considering quitting my job as a maintenance worker at a primary school following an altercation with the head teacher who as far as I'm concerned is invading my privacy by frequently viewing my social media and failing to line manage me.

I received an overpayment in early 2012 which I informed the school about and spent months trying to resolve (I still have the emails to prove this) but in the end the school just said they'd claim it back when I leave. I also received training back in February this year which I'm assuming they'll want to deduct from my final wage.

I would like to work my one month notice period however my concerns are that I won't receive any payment for this period once training fees and the overpayment have been deducted and I cannot afford to miss a months wages.

If I was offered another job and left my current one without notice just to continue receiving a monthly wage could I be sued?

Would I be able to work my notice period and be able to repay any outstanding training fees and the overpayment in installments that won't leave me in financial difficulty after I've left?

Any advice would be much appreciated, thank you.
Page 2
    • YouAsked
    • By YouAsked 22nd Sep 16, 4:39 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    YouAsked

So the cost of bringing someone in, less the cost of paying the chap his usual wage. Usually this is negligible and that's why most don't bother
    Originally posted by Guest101
    Ah but that's the point of this whole thread isn't it? The OP doesn't sound like he is entitled to a usual wage as he owes an overpayment plus repayment of course fees. So in this case it could be cost of bringing someone in, plus overpayment plus course fees...

Probably still fairly negligible but still.

There's a really horrible part of me that doesn't want the OP to "get away with it" - leaving colleagues in the lurch because you don't want to repay money you owe because your funds are low due to spending on a wedding is pretty awful behaviour to me.
    • Mersey
    • By Mersey 22nd Sep 16, 5:19 PM
    • 1,108 Posts
    • 507 Thanks
    Mersey

but that could be a drop in the ocean against two days lost production.
    Originally posted by Undervalued

It's a school. [Although I realise there aren't vast caretaker supply agencies in the same way there are so many for teachers who can be summoned with only an hour or two's notice.]

Quite apart from the fact that the Head wouldn't have the authority alone to start suing people. If he did, he/she'd rightly be investigated for pursuing some sort of personal vendetta and wasting school funds.
    Please be polite to OPs and remember this is a site for Claimants and Appellants to seek redress against their bank, ex-boss or retailer. If they wanted morality or the view of the IoD or Bank they'd ask them.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,201Posts Today

6,235Users online

Martin's Twitter