Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • T1M0
    • By T1M0 20th Sep 16, 11:04 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    T1M0
    BT Infinity Speed Variation
    • 20th Sep 16, 11:04 PM
    BT Infinity Speed Variation 20th Sep 16 at 11:04 PM
    I have recently switched to BT Infinity from Sky Fibre (BT was ona deal with prepaid card and cashback)

My sky package was for 38Mbps which I got very close to and never had a problem with speed dropping for 12 months.

My BT package is for 52Mbps.
    I tested after first setting up router and got about 38Mbps.

A few days later it seemed slow. Tested and was getting 5Mbps.
    Over the next few days I ran more tests and got between 2-8Mbps. usually around 4-5.

I complained to BT who suggested the line is fine and the fault is in my house. They arranged to send engineer, but told me I would be charged £130 if fault was in my house. The engineer was due tomorrow. Today I get a text of BT offering to change or cancel appointment. I decided to do a speedtest and magically get 51 Mbps. I tested an hour later and still got the same. I decided to cancel engineer.
    Tonight my broadband seems very slow again. run a test and get 2 Mbps!

I then realised every time i've tested before is in the evening when I get 2-8Mbps. Today when I test in the daytime I get 51Mbps.

Has anyone else experienced this?

What can I do about it?

assume when I complain to BT again they will send an engineer out during the daytime when the speed will be okay!
Page 1
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 21st Sep 16, 9:45 AM
    • 8,565 Posts
    • 3,448 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 21st Sep 16, 9:45 AM
    • 21st Sep 16, 9:45 AM
    How are you measuring the speed and how are you connected .
    Have you used your BT community forum for possible access to CS .
    • T1M0
    • By T1M0 21st Sep 16, 11:00 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    T1M0
    • 21st Sep 16, 11:00 AM
    • 21st Sep 16, 11:00 AM
    I am measuring speed with BT wholesale speedtest.

Get very similar results if connected over wifi on laptop or ethernet on PC.

The BT engineer turned up today (even though BT confirmed the visit was cancelled)

Today the speed is fine again 51-52Mbps. He has suggested it is an issue he has seen a few times before and probably electrical interference from something outside of my house that is only turned on at certain hours.

He suggested keeping a record of speedtests through the day/evening for a week and sending info to BT who should then run extra tests and send an out of hours engineer when the problem is at its worst.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 21st Sep 16, 12:57 PM
    • 8,565 Posts
    • 3,448 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 21st Sep 16, 12:57 PM
    • 21st Sep 16, 12:57 PM
    Streetlight etc .
    • tomthered
    • By tomthered 22nd Sep 16, 10:39 AM
    • 178 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    tomthered
    • 22nd Sep 16, 10:39 AM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 10:39 AM
    If it was a problem with a street light why did it not affect him when with sky?
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 22nd Sep 16, 12:10 PM
    • 8,565 Posts
    • 3,448 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 22nd Sep 16, 12:10 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 12:10 PM
    etc includes a lot more than streetlights .

electrical interference from something outside of my house that is only turned on at certain hours.

It will do no harm to be aware of the light and his pattern of usage .
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,627Posts Today

6,606Users online

Martin's Twitter