Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kratkam
    • By kratkam 20th Sep 16, 10:49 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 2Thanks
    kratkam
    NCP & TRACE Debt Recovery UK Ltd SCOTLAND
    • 20th Sep 16, 10:49 PM
    NCP & TRACE Debt Recovery UK Ltd SCOTLAND 20th Sep 16 at 10:49 PM
    Hi. Just new to the forums and seeking a bit of clarity and advice. I have read loads of posts about the same type of thing but would just like someone to comment on my particular issue.

I received a final reminder notice on 02/08/16 from NCP for parking charge notice for parking in Glasgow King Street CP dated on 11/06/16. This final reminder notice stated total now due I00.00. I just ignored it.

Last week I got a letter from TRACE Debt Recovery UK Ltd,collecting the outstanding debt for NCP, saying that I must pay the amount due of 160.00 by 23/09/16. With following frighting sentence: if you do not pay the full amount by the date shown above or you have not contacted us to agree a payment option by then, we will be forced to take furhter recovery action / The appointed firm of solicitors may be instructed to take your case to court / Should the case go to court , additional court fees and legal costs may be recoverable from you.
    I was really frightened so logged into NPC and appealed the original parking ticket even though last letter stated its too late to appeal and in line with industry standards the next available level of dispute resolution would be the sheriff court. I appealed because I have found out that parking was paid. It has been deducted from my account with note: 13 Jun 16 NCP LTD CD 2219 2.50 as per online bank statement.

Just have to mention that car is registered to my old address, moved 5 months ago and haven't change it. The mail above is only communication I got to this case

Any advice would be gratefully received. Thank you in advance.
Page 1
    • beamerguy
    • By beamerguy 20th Sep 16, 10:55 PM
    • 3,572 Posts
    • 3,961 Thanks
    beamerguy
    • 20th Sep 16, 10:55 PM
    • 20th Sep 16, 10:55 PM
    Hi. Just new to the forums and seeking a bit of clarity and advice. I have read loads of posts about the same type of thing but would just like someone to comment on my particular issue.

I received a final reminder notice on 02/08/16 from NCP for parking charge notice for parking in Glasgow King Street CP dated on 11/06/16. This final reminder notice stated total now due I00.00. I just ignored it.

Last week I got a letter from TRACE Debt Recovery UK Ltd,collecting the outstanding debt for NCP, saying that I must pay the amount due of 160.00 by 23/09/16. With following frighting sentence: if you do not pay the full amount by the date shown above or you have not contacted us to agree a payment option by then, we will be forced to take furhter recovery action / The appointed firm of solicitors may be instructed to take your case to court / Should the case go to court , additional court fees and legal costs may be recoverable from you.
    I was really frightened so logged into NPC and appealed the original parking ticket even though last letter stated its too late to appeal and in line with industry standards the next available level of dispute resolution would be the sheriff court. I appealed because I have found out that parking was paid. It has been deducted from my account with note: 13 Jun 16 NCP LTD CD 2219 2.50 as per online bank statement.

Just have to mention that car is registered to my old address, moved 5 months ago and haven't change it. The mail above is only communication I got to this case

Any advice would be gratefully received. Thank you in advance.
    Originally posted by kratkam
    Scotland ..... HA, nutters at large again.

First question when you appealed did you say you were the driver, hope not
    RBS - MNBA - CAPITAL ONE - LLOYDS

DISGUSTING BEHAVIOUR
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 20th Sep 16, 10:57 PM
    • 38,296 Posts
    • 49,771 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 20th Sep 16, 10:57 PM
    • 20th Sep 16, 10:57 PM
    Oh I do hope you didn't panic so much that you actually TOLD THEM who was driving. This is in Scotland, presumably you are in Scotland and the letters were being sent to the registered keeper (who they can't hold liable in Scotland).

All the advice, just by searching this forum board for the single word 'Scotland' tells you good people North of the Border NOT TO NAME THE DRIVER.

Never mind, even if you were silly enough to name the driver...NCP never try court so stop replying, stop panicking, nothing will happen. You are free to ignore this and really should NOT have appealed.

Trace Debt Recovery are merely a call centre to ignore, not bailiffs or anything. It's a scam letter chain just like fishing emails.
    PCN in a private car park in England/Wales? DON'T PAY IT BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT

USE THE 'FORUM JUMP' ON RIGHT, GO TO THE PARKING TICKETS FORUM. READ THE 'NEWBIES' THREAD.
    Do NOT read old advice to ignore, unless in Scotland/NI.

• pappa golf
    • By pappa golf 20th Sep 16, 10:59 PM
    • 4,344 Posts
    • 3,729 Thanks
    pappa golf
    • 20th Sep 16, 10:59 PM
    • 20th Sep 16, 10:59 PM

how did NCP get your new address ?
    Have YOU had to walk 500 miles?
    Were you advised to walk 500 more?
    You could be entitled to compensation.
    Call the Pro Claimers NOW.
    • Fruitcake
    • By Fruitcake 21st Sep 16, 12:58 AM
    • 35,450 Posts
    • 71,497 Thanks
    Fruitcake
    • 21st Sep 16, 12:58 AM
    • 21st Sep 16, 12:58 AM
    First and foremost, tell the DVLA you have moved. You need to do this twice, once for the vehicle registration and once for you driving licence. The two departments don't talk to each other so you must do this to avoid a real penalty of up to a grand.

After that you wait to see what happens from NCP. In Scotland only the driver is liable so you really should have ignored this. As others have said, I hope you didn't give away the driver's details.

Debt collectors have no powers so you can safely ignore them. It is unlikely that a parking scammer will try their hand in a Scottish court as all that have tried so far have been pushed back across the border with a bloody nose. It is unlikely that this will change but you need to be vigilant and watch out for real Scottish court papers for the next 5 years.
    Last edited by Fruitcake; Yesterday at 8:49 PM.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister.

All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
    • Hollygoheavily
    • By Hollygoheavily 21st Sep 16, 5:30 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    Hollygoheavily
    • 21st Sep 16, 5:30 PM
    • 21st Sep 16, 5:30 PM
    Am I correct in thinking that the debt recovery companies are unable to find out who else was insured to drive the vehicle, because even if they contacted the insurers of the vehicle using the Motor Insurers database, the insurers would be unable to give them that info due to Data Protection laws?
    • Castle
    • By Castle 21st Sep 16, 5:46 PM
    • 951 Posts
    • 1,127 Thanks
    Castle
    • 21st Sep 16, 5:46 PM
    • 21st Sep 16, 5:46 PM
    Am I correct in thinking that the debt recovery companies are unable to find out who else was insured to drive the vehicle, because even if they contacted the insurers of the vehicle using the Motor Insurers database, the insurers would be unable to give them that info due to Data Protection laws?
    Originally posted by Hollygoheavily
    Not only that but many policies will cover any driver, (with permission); especially true with company vehicles.
    • Johno100
    • By Johno100 21st Sep 16, 5:50 PM
    • 2,268 Posts
    • 2,272 Thanks
    Johno100
    • 21st Sep 16, 5:50 PM
    • 21st Sep 16, 5:50 PM
    Yes, and anyway the car could have beeen being driven by someone else entirely and covered via the 'driving other cars' provision on their insurance.
    • beamerguy
    • By beamerguy 21st Sep 16, 5:54 PM
    • 3,572 Posts
    • 3,961 Thanks
    beamerguy
    • 21st Sep 16, 5:54 PM
    • 21st Sep 16, 5:54 PM
    Debt collectors have no power to contact your insurance company and it's got nothing to do with a ticket or who owns/drives the car.
    RBS - MNBA - CAPITAL ONE - LLOYDS

DISGUSTING BEHAVIOUR
    • Fruitcake
    • By Fruitcake 21st Sep 16, 5:59 PM
    • 35,450 Posts
    • 71,497 Thanks
    Fruitcake

Debt collectors have no powers to do anything other than send you free (poor quality) bog paper or fire lighters.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister.

All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
    • kratkam
    • By kratkam 22nd Sep 16, 11:03 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    kratkam
    Thank you for your replies, you have put my mind at rest. I will just continue to ignore the letters!

Regarding the appeal I did not mentioned who was driving, I only wrote that this parking fee was paid by debit card, bank account has been debited on 13th June with the following description.
    13 Jun 16 NCP LTD CD 2219 2.50

Yeah, its Scotland so wonder if there is any big difference how this is working.

All mail I got to this case was going to my old address, they dont have my new address.

Many thanks again for your help.
    • bod1467
    • By bod1467 22nd Sep 16, 11:46 AM
    • 14,755 Posts
    • 13,386 Thanks
    bod1467
    As this is Scotland then you can safely ignore anything, except a proper Letter Before Claim or Court Papers.

What concerns me though is that everything is going to your old address ... whilst it is highly unlikely that NCP will try a court claim in Scotland against a keeper, it's not impossible. Therefore I'd be minded to make sure they have your new address to avoid the chance of a claim being made, you not knowing and them getting a default win.

{copy the below also to NCP. Wait for others to comment/refine the wording}

Dear TRACE,
    This debt is denied in its entirety and must be returned to your client. As the Protection of Freedoms Act does not apply in Scotland there is no legal mechanism for this debt (PCN) to be passed from driver to keeper, therefore I (as keeper) have no liability for this debt. I also have no liability or requirement to identify whom the driver may have been - no inference can be made that the keeper was the driver.

As there is no cause to pursue me in relation to this alleged debt, I require you to remove any and all details you hold about me. Please take this communication as a formal Section 10 notice pursuant to the Data Protection Act. However, to allow you to confirm that this debt is no longer being pursued, please note below my new address - previous correspondence has been delivered to my old address:

{Insert new address here}

Note that these details must subsequently be deleted per the above Section 10 notice.

Yours faithfully,

{Squiggle signature, not your real one}

kratkam
    Last edited by bod1467; 22-09-2016 at 11:48 AM.
    Got a Parking Charge Notice (parking ticket - IT'S NOT A FINE!)? Go here for further info ...
    Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Motoring > Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking >
    ... and click on the NEWBIES sticky thread (4816822)
    Please do not PM me for help - I will not offer help via PM.
    • kratkam
    • By kratkam 22nd Sep 16, 12:08 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    kratkam
    Thanks again, would be lost without you guys.

Will ignore anything, except a proper Letter Before Claim or Court Papers as @bod1467 wrote and only send them (both NCP and Trace debt recovery ) suggested letter above. Will use recorded delivery.

And definitely will change my address on my vehicle registration, already changed on driving licence... My fault, I know. Thanks @fruitcake

Thank you all again, much appreciated.
    • pappa golf
    • By pappa golf 22nd Sep 16, 12:30 PM
    • 4,344 Posts
    • 3,729 Thanks
    pappa golf
    do NOT use recorded delivery , as companies have a habit of refusing letters they do not want

send first class with free proof of postage from the PO

refused recorded = they have not received it
    1st class with proof of postage = deemed to be received within 2 working days
    Have YOU had to walk 500 miles?
    Were you advised to walk 500 more?
    You could be entitled to compensation.
    Call the Pro Claimers NOW.
    • Iceweasel
    • By Iceweasel 22nd Sep 16, 12:50 PM
    • 3,960 Posts
    • 2,835 Thanks
    Iceweasel
    Yeah, its Scotland so wonder if there is any big difference how this is working.
    Being in Scotland (or N. Ireland) makes a world of difference.

People who live in England or Wales must not ignore these vermin.
    • kratkam
    • By kratkam 22nd Sep 16, 1:57 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    kratkam
    Will send 1st class, thanks

So glad to stay in Scotland
    • bod1467
    • By bod1467 22nd Sep 16, 3:08 PM
    • 14,755 Posts
    • 13,386 Thanks
    bod1467

FREEEEEDOOOOOOOOMMMM!!! (As the Aussie guy once said).
    Got a Parking Charge Notice (parking ticket - IT'S NOT A FINE!)? Go here for further info ...
    Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Motoring > Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking >
    ... and click on the NEWBIES sticky thread (4816822)
    Please do not PM me for help - I will not offer help via PM.
    • Iceweasel
    • By Iceweasel 22nd Sep 16, 4:31 PM
    • 3,960 Posts
    • 2,835 Thanks
    Iceweasel

Me too.
    • kratkam
    • By kratkam 27th Sep 16, 8:42 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    kratkam
    update
    Hi,

just an update regarding the thread above.

Got an email response to my appeal from NCP asking for more evidence - "provide us with a photocopy of a valid bank statement to show the payment made for the day in question"

I have already send them a printscreen showing the amount debited from account with date and description (without name and account details)

I wont reply to this.

I have already sent a letter as advised above ( no reply to this yet)

Thanks again

Have a nice evening.

kratkam
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,555Posts Today

6,873Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's twitter poll: If a cheap clothing store admitted under 12s in foreign factories made their clothes would it stop you buying?

• RT @toes_pointy: @MoneySavingExp @MartinSLewis Feeling smug. Used MSE sky code to change bband provider, saved £150 & got £50 free credit.?

• MSE weekly email: Ending - Brit Gas £300/yr off & free £30M&S, Vax 75%off, £15off Tesco Wine, £64/yr bband, £8 duvet https://t.co/bS4J70hBbx

• Follow Martin