Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JamesAbb
    • By JamesAbb 20th Sep 16, 10:47 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 1Thanks
    JamesAbb
    Buying a house - what is this manhole?
    • 20th Sep 16, 10:47 PM
    Buying a house - what is this manhole? 20th Sep 16 at 10:47 PM
    Hi!

We're in the process of buying a house and have received all the searches except for a Local Authority search.

We really want the property and do not want to delay things, and will buy it anyway, but I am puzzled by what is this manhole cover?

s17.postimg.org/5znslhdq7/manhole.jpg

There is nothing about it in all the searches and the full survey has not mentioned it either.

The wife wisely says to leave it, as it may cause complications (probate sale) and delays (we rent now), so I want your advice - what is this? Is it movable / can be covered by decking? Where shall I look further?

Many thanks for all suggestions!
Page 2
    • Hoploz
    • By Hoploz 21st Sep 16, 9:53 PM
    • 2,782 Posts
    • 2,488 Thanks
    Hoploz
    Sometimes it's imprinted onto the manhole lid what it is, eg 'foul sewer' or whatever
    • DiamondLil
    • By DiamondLil 22nd Sep 16, 9:15 AM
    • 234 Posts
    • 199 Thanks
    DiamondLil
    Our neighbour used his as a dumping place for bricks, rubble and excess cement when he laid his patio......
    We discovered this when all the toilets in houses further up the line were blocked to the point of overflowing.
    The water company weren't too pleased either.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,917Posts Today

6,775Users online

Martin's Twitter